Author Topic: A positive sign  (Read 2000 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: A positive sign
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
Nice post Puma!

Thanks for mentioning that Aces High has the AH Training Corps, Max!

~§~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
Thanks Fugitive, for the info and explanations. I have some knowledge of aviation terms, so I "get it" quickly. I will work in a few repetitions on every sortie. How about the "Rope a dope" or the "High Yoyo"? Just a couple I have heard mentioned that sound rather interesting, lol.

Also, what is the best range to target for firing Rockets, (HVAR, and or 60lbers)? Anyone?
I am working on it, but getting inconsistent results.

Tracking says my new VKB stick will be here Monday, after a little mapping and familiarization I should be about ready enuf to go live.

The rope a dope and the High yo-yo are Offensive moves.

The rope a dope is when you have more energy/speed/climb rate than the guy on your tail. Picture a rope hanging off your tail, you pull up in a climb dragging your "rope". The dope  :) thinking he can keep up with/ get you before you both stall follows. The trick is to be able to judge your energy/speed as compared to his. If you have more, you roll over at the top and drop on his stalled and non responsive plane and kill him. If you dont have more, he climbs the rope and blows you out of the sky as you stall at the top.

Hi yo-yo,  your chasing a guy, he rolls 90 left, and pulls hard to reverse direction ( flat turn). Picture a plate standing on its edge with the flat survice facing you, you pull up, roll 90 degrees and follow the edge of the plate up over the top and back down the other side leveling out on the bandits tail. You have both reversed your direction, but he has burned a lot more speed/energy making his flat turn where you have saved a lot of speed/energy by not turning as sharp and spreading the turn out over a vertical element as well as the turn.

Like all these other guys are saying, learn the basics. Knowing how to "turn" a plane helps when it comes time to work these maneuvers. A Rope a Dope doesn't work well if you cant judge "E" (energy/speed) you and the other guy has.

A good thing you could try for practice is to fly low and slow inside the area of a field. Once you get your stick flying slow THROUGH the hangers and around the tower and radar antenna will help you to learn to control your planes flight. I had a squad leader that would fly low and slow trough the trees and have me follow him and try to keep the plane in the air. Its fun and not as easy as you would think, but it is something else to try when you get bored chasing drones for a bit   :D 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Nice post Puma!

Thanks for mentioning that Aces High has the AH Training Corps, Max!

~§~

TC

Thanks TC!  :salute. Just trying to pay some experience forward.   :airplane:

:airplane:

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 07:48:50 AM »

The rope a dope and the High yo-yo are Offensive moves.

Thanks Fuge for nice clear answers. I'll remember that Rope a Dope deal, don't wanna be the dope,  :D

Yes, I have been trying the low and slow thing just for laughs. Using an F4F Wildcat about 25ft off the ground, thru the hangers, floating with the flaps out and the stall buzzer going, BZZZZZZZZZZZZ! It does make a fun change of pace!
I have a little basic skill with stick and throttle, not totally inept, lol.

I appreciate the advice too, Max, Puma, TC, and all! That Zeno's Warbirds site is pretty cool, I will definitely be spending some eyeball time there. Thanks for that list of videos, good info, just what I was looking for! I don't jump blind into anything. When I feel prepared to my own satisfaction, then you will see me in AH world.

I'm almost there, still dealing with seating/control placement/ergonomics/comfort issues.
Waiting on that damn STICK! :x  Can't finalize anything until it gets here.  :bhead

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 08:42:08 AM »
Thanks Fuge for nice clear answers. I'll remember that Rope a Dope deal, don't wanna be the dope,  :D

Yes, I have been trying the low and slow thing just for laughs. Using an F4F Wildcat about 25ft off the ground, thru the hangers, floating with the flaps out and the stall buzzer going, BZZZZZZZZZZZZ! It does make a fun change of pace!
I have a little basic skill with stick and throttle, not totally inept, lol.

I appreciate the advice too, Max, Puma, TC, and all! That Zeno's Warbirds site is pretty cool, I will definitely be spending some eyeball time there. Thanks for that list of videos, good info, just what I was looking for! I don't jump blind into anything. When I feel prepared to my own satisfaction, then you will see me in AH world.

I'm almost there, still dealing with seating/control placement/ergonomics/comfort issues.
Waiting on that damn STICK! :x  Can't finalize anything until it gets here.  :bhead

LOL!!! Don't you worry, you'll be falling for the "rope a dope" far more than you would think   :devil

The F4F is a slow plane and handles the "slow" rather well. Try it in a P51, P47, FW190. Those a true "fighter" planes and are designed for speed, they really dont like going slow. If you can get good at handling them slow you'll be able to handle most planes slow. It teaches you how to be smooth with your stick and not jerk it around. The smoother you fly the better you save E and the longer you can keep an advantage over a bad guy.

Keep at it, hope to see you soon!

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:52:41 AM by McShark »
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
To each their own, but after 24+ years of playing AW, WB,  Jane's, Target Rabual, FA, IL2, AH, I never found anything useful from that book

I would rather read Robert Shaw's Air combat and maneuvering book or No Guts, No Glory or Boyd's article

YMMV

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 11:14:14 AM »
To each their own, but after 24+ years of playing AW, WB,  Jane's, Target Rabual, FA, IL2, AH, I never found anything useful from that book

I would rather read Robert Shaw's Air combat and maneuvering book or No Guts, No Glory or Boyd's article

YMMV

TC

In the real world of fighters, Shaw's book is widely acknowledged as a go to reference.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
Other than the sections regarding combat with missiles, pretty much everything in Shaw's transfers to AH3. Not an easy read but as a reference book, it's in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »
True.  The missle employment require extended launch ranges but, some of the BFM maneuvers are still applicable.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
Here's something that might help, OldNitro.

It was written during Air Warrior days, but the air-combat part is about that same as here.  Wherever you see "Air Warrior", if you think "Aces High", you will be mostly OK:

http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/air_warrior/awtaman.txt

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 08:45:45 AM »
Thanks Brooke, and all.
I will definitely be seeking out these information resources.

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 04:35:33 PM »
Don't forget the Training section of the Aces High Website.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

It has some good videos that demonstrate the topics it covers.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas