Author Topic: Power Over Ethernet!  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Power Over Ethernet!
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:13:47 PM »
So my landlords router (cable) was downstairs on her computer...I have a cable upstairs but it needed to go into a phone modem...so I had no way to connect with an ethernet cable to my PC. So I tried WiFi on my PC...sucks for gaming  :(. So I asked a dude at The Source store and he told me about these things you plug in to a wall outlet and run an ethernet line to it and the router signal comes in through that!!! Freaking amazing and it works like a hot damn.  :D

Geez it's nice to be able to play all the time with a solid connex. I sometimes brought the router upstairs but that was a royal pain.

...Bless those tech geeks out there.  :salute

http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/-/media/images/products/dwl/p200/dwl-p200_b5_6_image-l(side_gb).png

Posted for anybody else in the same boat. Cheers.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:17:08 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Power Over Ethernet!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
That's Ethernet over Power, not Power over Ethernet...

It's very sensitive to the quality of the lines, as well as how the power is segmented.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:48:44 AM »
Vulcan, you're right here, but don't be too harsh on him since the thing is known by many names...  :D
Quote from: wikipedia
Power-line communication (PLC) is a communication method that uses electrical wiring to simultaneously carry both data, and alternating current (AC) electric power transmission or electric power distribution. It is also known as power-line carrier, power-line digital subscriber line (PDSL), mains communication, power-line telecommunications, or power-line networking (PLN)

That didn't include Powerline Ethernet which seems to be quite common, too, at least as a search phrase.

Despite it's potential stability issues Powerline Networking is a good alternative for games like AH since the connection is Full Duplex which means faster error correction in case of a lost packet. Wireless is only Half Duplex which means a lost packet will be taken care of after a delay caused by other packets being received before the error message gets sent. So unless your your landlord keeps switching power tools on and off while you're playing your connection should be more stable than with WiFi.

Squire, glad you got your connections working and thanks for sharing. Powerline networking is
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:52:37 AM »
your connection should be more stable than with WiFi

Yes but I had a variance delay that came on at exact intervals and caused warping on my end and those that viewed me as well. I tried everything...WiFi just isn't any good for me for gaming. For browsing? it's fine.

Oh...

It's power over ethernet (PoE):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Although i'm sure it's called other things.

:salute
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:54:57 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:04:15 AM »
Power over Ethernet is when you have a device that is powered by the router/switch through the ethernet cable.  We have alot of Phones that dont need the power supply because we have a PoE switch.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 10:01:58 AM »
If it really were PoE which uses Ethernet cables to transfer power as the link you provided tells, you wouldn't need to have any adapters from the modem to your computer, the Ethernet cables would be the ideal solution.

I understand that the cables inside the building structures are standard electric wires using regular power outlets. I may be wrong, though, you didn't tell if your wall outlets are of the RJ45 type.

By
your connection should be more stable than with WiF
I meant that your new system is more stable than WiFi. Just as you have noticed.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
Oh...

It's power over ethernet (PoE):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Although i'm sure it's called other things.

:salute

Just listen to the experts mmmkay...

Ethernet over power = I use my existing wall plugs and house elecrical power cables to transmit data over
Power over ethernet = I use my existing ethernet cable to transmit power to specially designed network devices that can receive that power (e.g. VoIP phones, IP Cameras, Wifi APs).

BTW, this is what that article you linked to says.

Offline LTCClark

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 03:59:49 AM »
try transmitting 120V over RJ45 at 2 Amps

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Get VoiceBot and Use Speech for game commands
www.voicebot.net
AutoHotkey and Software repo maps etc for AHIII

Offline ezglider

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
In the FWIW category, I had that EoP hookup for years before I was able to route cable into my basement batcave and flight sim CPU location [co-located with the spare frig - aka BSU - beer storage unit].  Game worked fine through those wall receptacle connectors but download and upload speeds were horrible.  I now enjoy superfast and steady Comcast hardwired connections with blazing download speeds but it hasn't improved my ACM skills -lol!  That's why I bomb a lot.  BTW the BSU won't run off that Ethernet cable in PoE mode either [needs to amp up a bit - lol] but it does help keep my CPU running cooler - being in the basement that is.  Thank goodness I didn't remove those old wall receptacles down there.       

<S>

:cheers:

:old: "Not ever as good as I once was but as good once as I ever was!"  :airplane:
DHBG Mud Mover