Author Topic: Match Play - Highly Recommended  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Match Play - Highly Recommended
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:59:00 AM »
With guidance from this group, I finally found my way into the match play arena.  Having played there a couple of nights, let me offer my opinion that this is the one of the very finest new features of AH3.  Beware, however, that you will find a very talented crowd there.  I don't think I've gotten a single kill, but the quality of the fights has been outstanding.  Good people, good sportsmanship, there is no down-side.

- oldman

"Yeah, I hear that, oldman, but I also heard that your opponents were not impressed with the quality of the fights they had with you."

"Bah.  Let them eat cake."

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: Match Play - Highly Recommended
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
I love that arena. Best addition to the game in a while
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »
which arena is that ? Dueling Arena , man its empty all the time
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »
Last night I saw 10 in there but went to melee.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »
which arena is that ? Dueling Arena , man its empty all the time

When you get to the front page clipboard, next to MELEE at the top, click on the FREE tab and then DUELING.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »
Match Play unlocks a huge potential for Aces High (Like E Sports potential) Still think the start distance needs to be further....5K just isn't enough.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »
Match Play unlocks a huge potential for Aces High (Like E Sports potential) Still think the start distance needs to be further....5K just isn't enough.

Personally I think it's fine. What's your argument on increasing the difference? There isn't really any merges that you can't already do. I feel like making it farther apart will benefit the E players more with longer dive times to gain E. but this is all speculation.

The Few

-Spek

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »
Personally I think it's fine. What's your argument on increasing the difference? There isn't really any merges that you can't already do. I feel like making it farther apart will benefit the E players more with longer dive times to gain E. but this is all speculation.

Just a note: Diving does not gain you Energy , almost always you are looses Energy when diving. Diving does gain you speed (which is a completely different concept the energy).

HiTech

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
Just a note: Diving does not gain you Energy , almost always you are looses Energy when diving. Diving does gain you speed (which is a completely different concept the energy).

HiTech

Thank you for clarifying!  I am no expert in this field. Thanks for the arena :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:01:56 AM by ACE »

The Few

-Spek

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »
Diving benefits a player trying to create and angle more then it benefits a player trying to maintain E.

Vertical/horizontal separation....diving creates vertical separation which allows you to create a better angle behind the enemy 3-9 line with a vertical manuever which often times was misinterpreted when people explain that dive being to create Energy....you are trading alt for speed but both are relative when talking energy.

With 5K separation it doesn't allow the manuever space to help create angles because you have to burn a lot of energy in very tight manuevers to create angles...all an E fighter has to do is fly level toward you then start climbing at merge, that wouldn't change with extended distance for E fighters but with someone creating angles they don't have to be as aggressive which mantains their E a bit more. Shorter distance benefits the E fighter over the angle. Longer distance evens the playing field and creates a more dynamic fight situation.

Spek, who have you matched up against so far? The answer may be that you are just a lot better then them which gives the impression any merge works.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »
There has been a pretty large group of us populating the arena, especially when the MA is stale.  Lots of 4 v 4, 2 v 2, and obviously 1 vs 1.

We use ch 238 in there if your ever looking for some good clean fun.  Well, most of the time its clean.   :D

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 10:29:11 AM »
Had some good times in there last night
Kommando Nowotny

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
I couldn't name them all junky. I've matched up with some damn good pilots. To name a few Horble, Squat, Dobs? Once or twice, 38Maw, Lazer. I see your point in your post. However I still think it's a good distance. Wouldn't really bother me either way.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
I was always taught to never play with matches.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)