Author Topic: Why is the sound inferior to ah2?  (Read 340 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Why is the sound inferior to ah2?
« on: March 05, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »
When a plane to the west of you about a mile away can drown out the sound of an approaching tank 100 yards to the east of you, then there is something very wrong.

When a tank drives across your nose from left to right, the sounds stay hard panned to left speaker and then flip as he crosses your 12 o'clock.

AH2 sounds had none of these problems.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
Re: Why is the sound inferior to ah2?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
Don't you think this, and other issues, will be addressed at some point down the road? AH2 wasn't always the program we all came to love; it had its problems on rollout, too.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
Don't you think this, and other issues, will be addressed at some point down the road? AH2 wasn't always the program we all came to love; it had its problems on rollout, too.

While I agree that there will be problems, the sound in a game that depends on location BY sound it is a rather important thing to take care of.

I just got a new headset because my old turtlebeach set finally started giving up (5 years of service) and the sounds with this new headset and sound system in the game is awesome, however the directional sound was far better in AH2. Challenge was working on a custom sound pack and it seemed like he found that the new system is more complex and far more versatile than the old system. He also seem to have some problems with how the sounds worked in the game.

It looks like there is still a lot of work to be done. Unfortunately, new players aren't going to be ok with such a sound system as it is.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 01:48:14 PM »
The sound for AH was upgraded in version3, but to really hear the difference you have to get a sound card. Get the latest drivers too.  I noticed that the direction of a sound's origin was not accurate. After I put n the sound card.......Fixed. The direction of the sound is important for gv'ing.

I do agree on the airplane sounds. Even when airplanes are at a distance the engine sound drowns out all other sounds. I hope that issue is addressed soon. Way too loud.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 02:29:43 PM »
The sound for AH was upgraded in version3, but to really hear the difference you have to get a sound card. Get the latest drivers too.  I noticed that the direction of a sound's origin was not accurate. After I put n the sound card.......Fixed. The direction of the sound is important for gv'ing.

I do agree on the airplane sounds. Even when airplanes are at a distance the engine sound drowns out all other sounds. I hope that issue is addressed soon. Way too loud.

Which sound card do you have?

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Sound Blaster Audigy Fx

PCIe

It is not the top of the line card. Just the opposite.
I plug my sorround sound headset into it.  Works great.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
I do not have a sound card.  The direction of sound works fine for me.  I should note too my hearing is below average.

I use Trackir and that may help.  I use a standard audio connector, that is not a USB headset and that might help.

I have all of my sounds go through the headset and use the 5.1 setting in my W10 realtek audio config.

Mano, did the overall quality of the sound improve with the sound card?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 09:22:00 PM »
I have a sound blaster card also, but I can not locate where a wirbl is firing from. It seems like it is unidirectional.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:59 AM »
I think it sounds better with the card as far as the quality of the sound.  I do not use usb. My headset has five plugs and all plug into the sound card by matching the colors.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »
I think it sounds better with the card as far as the quality of the sound.  I do not use usb. My headset has five plugs and all plug into the sound card by matching the colors.

Could be then trackir makes the difference.