Author Topic: WWII military rifles for sale  (Read 2286 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Re: WWII military rifles for sale
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »
I bought my first Mosin-Nagant about 2 years ago, a 1943 model 91/30 made at the Izhevsk arsenal. In addition to the Russian serial numbers (two Russian letters followed by 2011) on the parts and arsenal symbol on the bottom of the barrel, there is a prominent stamp reading: "PW Arms Redmond WA, M91/30 7.62x54R, Russia Ser # RMN065808". The Redmond Washington was where it entered the US as part of a bulk import shipment, from which I bought it from a local shop.

The one I bought today was a 1938 model 91/30 made at the Tula arsenal. It had all matching  Russian Serial Numbers on its visible parts (CH191), but there is a less visible number on the side of the reciever underneath where the bolt handle lies when forward reading PH2379. I had assumed this to be the import mark where it was registered upon entering the US, I don't think it would have any letters if it referred to a replacement reciever - my 1943 nagant has no such mark in this spot.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 07:22:22 AM »
 :rofl Amazes me what people will pay for an SKS these days. $300+ for the one you saw, and I have seen $400 for the Yugo versions. Just beat up old service rifles too, kinda ridiculous!

Back in 89 or 1990, I paid $89, for a NEW PRODUCTION, Norinco SKS. Another $30 for a USAmags brand steel 30rd detachable mag. And about $50 for a Ramline folding stock. A couple years ago I added a Techsight rear windage and elevation adjustable aperture sight, (big improvement). LOL, I still have it, what a great thrasher rifle! After me, my sons, my grandkids, buddies and whoever, having shot the hell out of it, it still runs perfectly, and shoots pretty decently. And it is worth more now, than it was then! Wish I had bought more of them back in the day, MAK90's for $119 too!

Never been a big Mosin fan, just too many "Foibles" to work around.
They were a good bargain at the $100 mark for a while, quite a few were sold.
Now as the old Russian storage lockers become empty, their price is going up too.

Edit: Those sealed 800rd cans of surplus 54R ammo for $60 have vanished too. My buddies that own VEPR 54R semiautos are cryin over that. Also AFAIK 54R is not produced in the US. Something to consider! 

See, price vs value, is something only you yourself can judge.
Congrats, ANY gun purchase is good in my book! :aok

And at least somebody already cleaned the cosmo out of it! :banana:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:35:20 AM by OldNitro »

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »
Yeah, I want to branch out and hit others on my list, but the opportunity hasn't come up yet. After I bought my Mosin yesterday, I got the contact info from a guy who was asking if I was interested in buying his type 99 arisaka with airplane sights. I said you betcha I'm interested, even though I already have a late war arisaka (without airplane sights).
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
Yeah, I want to branch out and hit others on my list, but the opportunity hasn't come up yet. After I bought my Mosin yesterday, I got the contact info from a guy who was asking if I was interested in buying his type 99 arisaka with airplane sights. I said you betcha I'm interested, even though I already have a late war arisaka (without airplane sights).

Oh that's frikken excellent! :aok Monopod too?
Intact chrysanthemum, is the most desirable feature!

Gotta be careful with a "Substitute 99", some of the late war Japanese metallurgy is seriously suspect! They have been known to blow up shooting full powered ammo!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 08:56:32 AM by OldNitro »

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »
Oh that's frikken excellent! :aok Monopod too?
Intact chrysanthemum, is the most desirable feature!

Gotta be careful with a "Substitute 99", some of the late war Japanese metallurgy is seriously suspect! They have been known to blow up shooting full powered ammo!

Don't know yet, waiting on him to send me some preliminary pictures so I can do some research before getting a hands-on look. All I know is that it is a Type 99 arisaka rifle (not sure if short or long).

Right, the one I have is a "last ditch" type 99 made at the Nagoya Arsenal and I would definitely not try to fire it. The 'mum is mostly intact, has about 4 scratches in it. Actually does have sling swivels instead of holes for a rope sling. I also have a late war Type 30 bayonet made by the Nagoya arsenal as well, blued blade, no fuller, wooden scabbard.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »
In the 1950s, my dad traded his Type 99 for a toy cap gun.  My grandpa brought it back from the island of Tongareva in 1944.  My grandpa wasn't mad though, he didn't care much for guns after the war.  But anyhow, what would a mid-war Type 99 be worth today?

My dad was smart enough to hang on to his 1838 Colt Pocket Patterson (first production revolver) and sold it for 35,000 around 2005.  His grandpa had given it to him and said it would be worth something one day.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
I hope it works out well for ya Shotgun.

I don't own a Type 99, never found one that I really wanted to own, at a decent price. Every time I find a good rifle, with all the right parts and pieces, the price is too high. So I have just given up on that one.

Price vs Value, just isn't there for ME.

DaveBB, it's really hard to say what the "value" is on these old rifles, some people value a certain type of rifle higher than someone else.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:02 PM »
In the 1950s, my dad traded his Type 99 for a toy cap gun.  My grandpa brought it back from the island of Tongareva in 1944.  My grandpa wasn't mad though, he didn't care much for guns after the war.  But anyhow, what would a mid-war Type 99 be worth today?

My dad was smart enough to hang on to his 1838 Colt Pocket Patterson (first production revolver) and sold it for 35,000 around 2005.  His grandpa had given it to him and said it would be worth something one day.

I have been referring to my copy of the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms: the collector's price and reference guide (7th edition) by Phillip Peterson pretty heavily. I can't give any exact details, but it has been a very nice book with broad/general details for weapons of various national origin and period should you wish to order one.

Got some pictures and details back, haven't viewed it yet myself. This rifle seems to be a type 99 long rifle based on his measurements. 'Mum is about 70% ground down and there is no monopod, unfortunately, but it does come with a nice early war type 30 bayonet. From what I've seen, I'm comfortable with his asking price of $300.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:01 PM »
Something to remember.

The 7.7mm Type 99 rifle, was only produced with a 25.75 inch barrel. It was never produced in the Long infantry rifle, and Short cavalry carbine configurations. Even the 2 versions of the takedown "Paratrooper Rifle" had the same 25.75 barrel length.

If it has a 31.45 inch "Long Barrel"? Then it is a 6.5mm Meiji38 or Type 97 rifle!

The Japanese adopted the 7.7mm and midlength rifle concept in 1939. not all their units had been updated to the new 7.7 before the war started. So, both the Type 97, and the Type 99 served next to each other, all thru the war.

Many people get confused!

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 08:37:43 PM »
Something to remember.

The 7.7mm Type 99 rifle, was only produced with a 25.75 inch barrel. It was never produced in the Long infantry rifle, and Short cavalry carbine configurations. Even the 2 versions of the takedown "Paratrooper Rifle" had the same 25.75 barrel length.

If it has a 31.45 inch "Long Barrel"? Then it is a 6.5mm Meiji38 or Type 97 rifle!

The Japanese adopted the 7.7mm and midlength rifle concept in 1939. not all their units had been updated to the new 7.7 before the war started. So, both the Type 97, and the Type 99 served next to each other, all thru the war.

Many people get confused!

OldNitro you might be on to something, but I'm getting conflicting data. He said the total length of his arisaka is 4'2" (5'9" with bayonet). The total length of my "last ditch" type 99 is 3'8" with a barrel length of 26". Since he didn't tell me the barrel length of his arisaka, I'm deducing that it is roughly 32" provided the two receiver and buttstock lengths are the same. In addition, the markings of the seller's rifle indicate it was manufactured by the Tokyo Kogyo company and supervised by the Nagoya arsenal. Type 30 bayonet with a hook quillon.

According to my previously mentioned source, there was a type 99 "short rifle" with a 26" barrel and a scarcer "long rifle" variation with a 31.4" barrel. The source does mention an arisaka type 97, but only as a sniper rifle. If the type 97 was indeed only configured as a sniper rifle, then it wouldn't make sense to have an anti-aircraft sight. In the source's picture, the type 97 has three Japanese "kana" characters between the mum and bolt running along (i.e. Vertical) the barrel. The seller's rifle also has three similar "kana" characters, but they are running across (i.e. Horizontal) the barrel. Edit: I think I confirmed that the symbols mean "9-9-type". Point of interest, my "last ditch" rifle has no kana markings.

Very interesting stuff for sure! I've set up the time to view and possibly buy it tomorrow afternoon - will definitely determine the caliber. Will post pictures of everything after tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:02:54 PM by shotgunneeley »

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 07:10:07 AM »
This IS interesting stuff... Had to dig out some books to clarify.

Military small arms of the 20th century, 1983 unabridged edition-Ian Hogg and John Weeks.
Pretty much the bible of WW2 military small arms identification.
(there are softcover editions available that are not as thorough and complete)

Also, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Firearms-Ian Hogg.
And, the NRA gun traders guide, seventeenth edition.

I will leave out the Meiji30 (1897) because it doesn't really apply here.

The Meiji38 6.5mm was built with 2 lengths of barrel.
The variations were:
Meiji38 (1905) Infantry rifle, with 31.45" barrel.
Meiji38 (1905) Cavalry carbine, with 18.5" barrel.
Meiji44 (1911) Cavalry carbine, with 18.5" barrel, fitted with folding bayonet.

Meiji38 Sniper rifle, 6.5mm, 31.45" barrel, fitted with bipod, telescope sight
offset to the left, and turned down bolt handle.

After battle experience in Manchuria and China, the Japanese Army decided
that the 6.5mm cartridge was not lethal enough. A new 7.7mm semi rimmed
cartridge was then in use in the Type 92 machine gun. It was modified to a
rimless configuration, and redesignated the Type 99 cartridge.

The Meiji38 Sniper rifles, rechambered for this 7.7mm cartridge, were redisignated
the Type 97 (1937) Sniper rifle. Still with a 31.45" barrel.

Type 99, (1939) Infantry Rifle, 25.75" barrel. Was a Meiji38, rechambered to 7.7mm
and simplified for easier production. At this time the Japanese quit the old practice
of running 2 production lines for Infantry rifles and Cavalry carbines. Adopting the
Midlength, "Short Rifle" pattern as all the other Armies of the world had done.
So the Type 99 was never produced in a long and short variation.

Note, that none of these books list the 99 with anything other than the 25.75" barrel.
This fits exactly with what I have seen after looking at MANY Type 99 rifles.
Never seen one in anything other than the standard 25.75" barrel form.
But I have seen the 6.5mm Meiji38 in both short and long forms.

The Meiji30/Type 97 and Type 99, all served together in WW2, are very similar
to the eye, and are often confused.

Another interesting point. At the end of the war, when all the Japanese weapons
were collected in the armories, to be turned over to the US occupation forces.
The order was given to deface all the Chrysanthemum markings on the weapons.
As one of the last Imperial orders, and a final act of defiance, the armorers were
quite thorough. Using a torch to melt a puddle over them, an arc welder to weld
a bead across them, or just grind them off. It's the first thing I look for!

This is as far as my Data and Experience takes me.
Very interested to see some pics. Good luck and happy hunting, :salute

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 09:43:57 PM »
Well I went through with the deal for both the rifle and bayonet. Here are the pictures of every period WWII firearm I have. I'm still captioning the new purchase as a "Type 99 'Long Barrel'" to differentiate it from the "Type 99 'Last Ditch Rifle'", but I'm open to interpretation. Could it be possible that the Long Barrel described in my book is the equivalent to a re-chambered type 97 from 6.5mm to 7.7mm? Both of these Arisaka rifles are 7.7mm (.303 cal). The "Long Barrel" weighs 8.6 pounds with a total length of 50 inches (barrel length 31 2/5 inches), the "Last Ditch Rifle" weighs 7.8 pounds with a total length of 44 inches (barrel length 26 inches).

From Left to Right: Arisaka Type 99 "Long Barrel", Arisaka Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle", Mosin-Nagant M91/30 (1938), Mosin-Nagant M91/30 (1943), Walther P38 (1942).

Type 30 bayonet with hooked quillon and metal sheath, probably made at the Kokura arsenal. Blade is 15 1/2 inches long, handle is 4 3/8 inches long. Partnered with the Type 99 "Long Barrel".

Type 30 bayonet with straight quillon and wooden sheath, made at the Nagoya Arsenal. Blade is also 15 1/2 inches long, handle is 4 3/8 inches long. Partnered with the Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle".

Type 99 "Long Barrel" muzzle. The barrel length was 31 2/5 inches.

Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle" muzzle. The barrel length was 26 inches

Type 99 "Long Barrel" rear adjustable leaf-type "anti-aircraft" sight.

Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle" fixed "peep" sight

Type 99 "Long Barrel" receiver proof mark, serial number and arsenal symbol (manufactured by the Tokyo Kogyo company and probably supervised by the Kokura arsenal). 

Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle" receiver proof mark, serial number and aresenal symbol (Nagoya arsenal).

Type 99 "Long Barrel" 'mum (I'd say 30% intact)  and kana. I believe the characters indicate it is a (9-9-type).

Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle" 'mum (I'd say 70% intact), it has no kana clearly stating its type.

Type 99 "Long Barrel" butt stock plate and bolt. Notice that the sling swivels are on the underside of the rifle and the bolt handle has a bulbous end.

Type 99 "Last Ditch Rifle". Notice there is no butt stock plate, the sling swivels are on the left-hand side of the rifle, and the bolt handle has a cylindrical end.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:00:16 PM by shotgunneeley »

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »

M91/30 1938 muzzle and bayonet (matched to rifle)

M91/30 1943 muzzle and bayonet (mismatched to rifle)

M91/30 1938 serial number and arsenal mark (Tula arsenal)

M91/30 1943 serial number and arsenal mark (Izhevsk arsenal). also notice the US import stamp on the left side.

M91/30 1938 receiver and bolt

M91/30 1943 receiver and bolt

M91/30 1938 butt stock. notice the pre-war metal rimmed sling holes

M91/30 1943 butt stock. rifles manufactured during the war lacked the metal rimmed sling holes.

Walther P38 (1942) "ac42" (1st variation).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:19:20 PM by shotgunneeley »

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »
Yes those characters are definitely 9-9.
Nice AA sight without the arms broken off.
Looks like it might be in shootable condition too.
Well worth $300, I would have snapped it up!

Quote from the book when addressing the new 7.7 rimless cartridge:
"A modified form of the Meiji38 rifle was introduced to accompany it."
Might be what you have here, with the 99 marking referring to the new cartridge.
And that would account for the longer barrel too.
(being unusual makes it even better)

I guess the books need to be updated, as the proof is always in the puddin.
Have you found anything that looks like a specific production date?
Japanese marking system is hard to decipher, but it would be interesting to know.

WTG man, looks like a score to me :aok

(How the hell do you post pics on this BB?)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:38:22 AM by OldNitro »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 07:27:51 AM »
Gun porn! Thanks !