Author Topic: 737 almost beaches  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: 737 almost beaches
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Even though the B-24 is piston it takes a while to get power up on it since we do the approach with the props back to 2000RPM -- the slow bellybutton electric governor controls have to get the revs up before you can push the throttles up!!

Short final into Prescott Valley, a little gusty but not bad, totally unfamiliar with the area.  We were getting +/- 10mph or so all the way down final until really close in the bottom dropped out. I called for climb power and was working the throttles up as quickly as the prop governors would allow all the time sinking toward ground --- actually wondered if we were going to touch down short --- stopped sinking, called for gear up then flaps 20 for the go, about mid field got a left turn for "a pass" over the arrival crowd as if it was all planned.  :devil  It's okay to crash, but ya gotta look cool doing it.

Prescott Valley Arizona ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
Perhaps, but the flag is much bigger if you don't go around and crash. :)

Agreed.  But, as you know, guys are allergic to paperwork.   It's a well-known subconscious issue they try to beat out of us in CRM courses...yet it sneaks up on us at the oddest times.   There is a LOT of pressure in this job and sometimes it operates at cross purposes.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:59 PM »
Even though the B-24 is piston it takes a while to get power up on it since we do the approach with the props back to 2000RPM -- the slow bellybutton electric governor controls have to get the revs up before you can push the throttles up!!

Short final into Prescott Valley, a little gusty but not bad, totally unfamiliar with the area.  We were getting +/- 10mph or so all the way down final until really close in the bottom dropped out. I called for climb power and was working the throttles up as quickly as the prop governors would allow all the time sinking toward ground --- actually wondered if we were going to touch down short --- stopped sinking, called for gear up then flaps 20 for the go, about mid field got a left turn for "a pass" over the arrival crowd as if it was all planned.  :devil 

AYE!!!!

It's okay to crash, but ya gotta look cool doing it.

Dying is sometimes unavoidable.   Looking uncool is completely unforgiveable.   :rofl
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
Prescott Valley Arizona ?

Yes sir, April or May of 2002.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »
Princess Juliana is such a cool airport, went there once and I'd love to go back.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
Another thing to consider is that if you are descending and initiate a go around, particularly in a large aircraft, you will continue to lose height.
Yep.  In that Asiana 777 crash at SFO a couple years back the captain was adding power and trying to arrest the descent, but he was behind the airplane and didn't have time/altitude to save it.  Apparently he would have had to have started the recovery 8 seconds or so earlier than he did to save it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »
Looks like he simply came in low and slow, probably pilot error. Wind may have had a part but I saw no reaction to wind by the airplane. This really doesnt happen very often tho I know with the -8 there was an issue with the landing gear and the flaps and I dont know how it was ever resolved.

Still I couldnt imagine an airplane safer to fly on.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:25 PM »
Disagree with the pilot error assessment.   We don't have the data to make that conclusion.

The approach became unstable in very windy conditions.   The crew executed a successful go around.  The airport was then closed for 45 minutes with at least one airplane diverting rather than trying to land.

The camera only catches the last portion of the go around and nothing that preceeded it.

We cannot convict the crew based on this video.   CONTEXT.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »
The airport was then closed for 45 minutes with at least one airplane diverting rather than trying to land.

Yus.  I would posit that this is significant.

- oldman

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »
Eagl performing his first commercial flight.

Hey that's rude, he's a nice man!
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Hey that's rude, he's a nice man!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Good one. But we all know Eagl would have been inverted or knife edge.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
ROFL

No, I fly the bus, and I paid attention in skool so I'm able to recognize who and/or what is controlling power settings.

Plus, fighter pilot.   :old:
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
Yep.  In that Asiana 777 crash at SFO a couple years back the captain was adding power and trying to arrest the descent, but he was behind the airplane and didn't have time/altitude to save it.  Apparently he would have had to have started the recovery 8 seconds or so earlier than he did to save it.

You mean the 3 qualified pilots in the cockpit failed to recognize that they'd turned off appropriate autopilot modes and needed to control power settings themselves, and didn't realize that they were going to land well short of the runway until it was far too late?  I'm sure that's what you meant, because that's what "really happened".  The captain's instinctive reaction after they were already crashing is pretty much irrelevant, any 4 yr old xbox player could have crashed in an equally competent fashion by that point.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Good one. But we all know Eagl would have been inverted or knife edge.   :cheers:

Naw, wings level recovery is standard when shining your a&* that low.  However I do know some folks who, if they were to buzz a beach like that, would likely have their johnson hangin out just to check to see who's looking.

Not judging the crew of that 737... I'm sure they've had to tell their tale to a lot of people already and don't need my advice/opinion/questions.  They're not dead and that's something.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
You mean the 3 qualified pilots in the cockpit failed to recognize that they'd turned off appropriate autopilot modes and needed to control power settings themselves, and didn't realize that they were going to land well short of the runway until it was far too late?  I'm sure that's what you meant, because that's what "really happened".  The captain's instinctive reaction after they were already crashing is pretty much irrelevant, any 4 yr old xbox player could have crashed in an equally competent fashion by that point.

That is what happened, but your characterization of the captain's response requires evidence not available.   It may be accurate to be sure, but it also misses the point I was making about the response time of the aircraft.  The crew had let the aircraft get ahead of them and by the time any of them showed any sign of being aware of that fact it was too late to save the aircraft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-