Author Topic: 737 almost beaches  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: 737 almost beaches
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
That is what happened, but your characterization of the captain's response requires evidence not available.   It may be accurate to be sure, but it also misses the point I was making about the response time of the aircraft.  The crew had let the aircraft get ahead of them and by the time any of them showed any sign of being aware of that fact it was too late to save the aircraft.

I don't remeber who first told me this but it's something I emphasize.  "If you're not ahead of the jet you're behind."

It sums it up quite succinctly. 

Others may have said this, but not in these exact words to my knowledge: Human factors can only be mitigated, never eliminated. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:45:43 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »
I don't remeber who first told me this but it's something I emphasize.  "If you're not ahead of the jet you're behind."

It sums it up quite succinctly. 

Others may have said this, but not in these exact words to my knowledge: Human factors can only be mitigated, never eliminated.

Pretty much applies to anything you fly.  They can all kill you if you let them.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
Pretty much applies to anything you fly.  They can all kill you if you let them.

True.   But when you are moving 8 miles a minute vs 1.5 miles a minute it makes a big impression.

Or in your case tens of thousands of pounds instead of 1500.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:36 PM »
Yeah, and the engines on a 737 probably spool slower than your T-45 does, too. 

In the Legacy we can get max thrust from idle in 7 seconds or less.   It spools super fast for a jet.  Even with that capability you can wind up behind if you don't anticipate.   

In your case I suspect you'll develop that sixth sense in time.   Just takes repetition and some calibration between your arms and the seat of your pants.  Most guys pull too much power for too long and then go OH CRIKEY.  It will come. 

I imagine the rooster tail gets your attention and takes some getting used to.   :salute

Which model of the 3 Legacy's?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2017, 10:46:41 PM »

Which model of the 3 Legacy's?

600/650.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
600/650.

Thanks. Conventional flight controls - right? ( not the sidestick )

Oh and the 737 is not a slug in roll - no more so than any other similar transport jet. No learjet but a large input that activates a lot of spoiler will snap your neck.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
Thanks. Conventional flight controls - right? ( not the sidestick )

Oh and the 737 is not a slug in roll - no more so than any other similar transport jet. No learjet but a large input that activates a lot of spoiler will snap your neck.

Well, the people who think it's a slug probably flew Falcons or something like that.   Maybe it was the MD-80 I'm thinking of.   I thought for sure that guy was in spoiler deflection with those massive inputs.   :O

Conventional, yes.  I will be going to school for the (FBW, sidestick) 500 this summer if all goes according to plan.  Not counting my chicks yet, though.    :salute
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:19:37 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
Well, the people who think it's a slug probably flew Falcons or something like that.   Maybe it was the MD-80 I'm thinking of.   I thought for sure that guy was in spoiler deflection with those massive inputs.   :O

Conventional, yes.  I will be going to school for the (FBW, sidestick) 500 this summer if all goes according to plan.  Not counting my chicks yet, though.    :salute

That's exactly why I thought to say that he was adding to his workload and likely making things worse... he would have been causing huge spoiler deflection. The airplane is extremely stable ... not all pilots are:)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
That's exactly why I thought to say that he was adding to his workload and likely making things worse... he would have been causing huge spoiler deflection. The airplane is extremely stable ... not all pilots are:)

Roll PIO.    :D

My old man had 25,000+ hours in the T-43/737.   He has passed on, but this is definitely a video I wish I could have shown him.   :)
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:18 PM »
Does anyone in here have time logged in the front office of a 737?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 08:35:57 AM »
Does anyone in here have time logged in the front office of a 737?

yes

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
yes
You were "behind" or "Ahead" most of the time?  :rofl

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
yes

Likewise.  Fun jet to fly, eh?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2017, 05:08:03 PM »
LOL the youtube account that was associated with that video has been terminated.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2017, 05:24:47 PM »
Likewise.  Fun jet to fly, eh?

Was OK- Did not care for the low econ speeds. Preferred the 757/767 but would have liked to try the new 737MAX