Author Topic: Prevent turning all the way around  (Read 923 times)

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
Prevent turning all the way around
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
Hi all,

I am enjoying flying in VR, but have a question:

How can I prevent having to turn all the way around to look behind me constantly?  Doing this while focusing on a miniscreen 2 inches in front yof your face can make you woozy.  :o
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Prevent turning all the way around
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
You can map the rear view to hat on your joystick like you would if you weren't using VR. Once you hat back you can still look around.
This means you don't have to turn your head all the way around to watch behind you.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
Ok, will try that, thanks

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:38:10 AM »
Out of curiosity, while I understand the logic, does using a "look back" button feel like you've made a 180 deg turn in your chair instead of looking over your shoulder? I've never tried VR goggles but it seems that someday they will be a minimum requirement...

Looking at any direction on the screen without actually moving your head is a "natural" thing we've been raised to. But yes, does using a button to look directly back feel gamey?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
yes, Bizman, it feels like you've suddenly become facing the complete opposite direction.  It can be a little disorienting but if you are used to using a hat to view, then it's really the best of both worlds.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
The real solution once VR is established is some working mirrors like they had in the real ones.
Looking straight back is just weird!

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:28:08 AM »
If you used Trackir before using vr then it is more of a challenge.

I would suggest that htc change or make an option that the back view match the direction you are looking.  That is, if you are trying to look back and left, then hit the back button your view is back left instead of full back view.  That would be a closer match to real life and trackir.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »
Hi all,

I am enjoying flying in VR, but have a question:

How can I prevent having to turn all the way around to look behind me constantly?  Doing this while focusing on a miniscreen 2 inches in front yof your face can make you woozy.  :o

You don't focus 2 inches away. The fresnel lenses and stereo vision create distance so if you're nearsighted you still need glasses to see distant objects.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
If you used Trackir before using vr then it is more of a challenge.

I think this is the problem I am having.  I have spent so many years 'looking' with TrackIR that adjusting to using hat switches for views feels like a backward step.  If I just forgot about moving my head for anything outside from the 10 to 2 o'clock positions and used the hat I would not lose sight of cons so much.

But, it really does feel like a step back.  The 3D aspect is cool however until VR can support better resolutions and perhaps a scaling of head movement I will not be using it as much as my traditional set up.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
I think this is the problem I am having.  I have spent so many years 'looking' with TrackIR that adjusting to using hat switches for views feels like a backward step.  If I just forgot about moving my head for anything outside from the 10 to 2 o'clock positions and used the hat I would not lose sight of cons so much.

But, it really does feel like a step back.  The 3D aspect is cool however until VR can support better resolutions and perhaps a scaling of head movement I will not be using it as much as my traditional set up.

Scaling of head movement/exaggeration will make you sick in VR.  It's best to just do it a few times over the course of several days until you get used to it.  I turn all the way around now to check six and its not an issue anymore.  Also, I manever the plane without taking my eye off the target and kind of wrap the plane around where Im staring rather than looking out the front of the cockpit.  You get used to it, for others, VR may not be for everyone.

49Alpha

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
Scaling of head movement/exaggeration will make you sick in VR.  It's best to just do it a few times over the course of several days until you get used to it.  I turn all the way around now to check six and its not an issue anymore.  Also, I manever the plane without taking my eye off the target and kind of wrap the plane around where Im staring rather than looking out the front of the cockpit.  You get used to it, for others, VR may not be for everyone.

Maybe I am getting too old lol.  I simply cannot move my head in the way required to track an enemy plane over my head and then around the rear of the plane.  Fight lost

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 01:54:09 AM »
Some couldnt handle TIR without Dramamine either. I dont think it would be much of a scaling/sickness issue. The scaling would NOT need to be as drastic as TIR. With TIR you are scaling an 180 degree turn of views while staying in visual sight of a monitor. In VR as I have experienced it a much slower scaling to just accelerate a bit if deference per actual degree and checking your 6 would be closer to TIR ease of use. You still move your head alot of the range of motion but say after the 90 or 270 degree mark a bit of scaling kicks in to reach an almost 180. Just a few degrees added into actual movement would get you there. Im no expert though, I will deal with it as it comes, already spent the money lol  When I get tired of the resolution I will just fly the old setup. Is there a way to adjust color and brightness inside the head set? Its a bit too bright for my eyes and only changes I have made only affect the display monitor?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 05:37:19 AM »

This is what i tried last night and thought it worked well.  Set your hat switch left to "Look back left" and the right to "Look Back Right.  Now when you follow a plane going to your left as an example and reach your head turn limit then hit the left hat switch to look back left to follow the plane.  With practice, this should work almost as good as trackir.  Much better than just using the "Look Back"

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
The problem is really the FOV. If we could adjust the FOV to 160 then you would have peripheral vision. you could look over your shoulder.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 12:37:22 AM »
I actually think the real issue is that VR is using a static, forward facing centered eye position, and then displaying head movement.

However, our eyes are able to move and I think this is giving us the problem that turning all the way around is not required in real life.  We can, IRL, turn our heads 120 or so to the left and then our eyes can go a bit further to give us the 180.

Early days though so I am sure they (VR manufacturers) will address that issue at some stage