Author Topic: Please rate "Hell Over the Hinterland" scenario  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Please rate "Hell Over the Hinterland" scenario
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:48 AM »
Please rate Hell Over the Hinterland.

If you played in it, please rate this scenario by giving it a number in the range of -5 (absolutely hated it), to 0 (could take it or leave it), to +5 (absolutely loved it).

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Please rate "Hell Over the Hinterland" scenario
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
+2/3.  It was good.  There was a little too much running around avoiding the enemy at times, in frame 3 particularly for my liking.  Other than that, no concrete complaints.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
surely your Luft superiors were at fault for that and not the design team?   

I give it +3  it was a bit of a late war monster slugfest.  Felt like the MA at times what with the field distances and everyone on our team getting killed by manned acks / auto acks. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
+3
"One-Eye"

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
-1, also yes the design definitely forced the fight into what it was. With only half of our attack aircraft for most of the fight only when we outnumbered the Allies did we finally win in the air and still lost in points. So yes the design did force the Axis to fight in a particular way. Also never understood why trying to keep A8s out the serious engagements against 51 and 47D25s would be frowned upon, rest assured I'll put JG11 right in the middle of it next time so y'all can enjoy y'all's Saturdays quicker.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:10:15 PM by Vudu15 »
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »
+5 for the fights.  Great people to fly with, great opponents.
-5 for the design.  3 sectors apart, horrible scoring method, no effort on the design whatsoever.
Wash.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »
surely your Luft superiors were at fault for that and not the design team?   

I give it +3  it was a bit of a late war monster slugfest.  Felt like the MA at times what with the field distances and everyone on our team getting killed by manned acks / auto acks. 
Complaining about the design when we were given hours of time to milk run objects without any enemy opposition.....but hey that's none of my business...

+3 Luft could have used 2 more TA152 instead of as many A8 to account for Bombers and the P51/Spitfire/Temps.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »

I was pretty unhappy from the get go, with advertised planes being removed arbitrarily after a vote. I appreciated an attempt was made to rectify.

I decided not to even bother to register or commit any time to it but rather walk on if I had nothing better to do.
I agree with the comments about the scoring, there was just no way the Axis was gonna win and if you look at the frame's scoring you can see how disparate it is.

The only reason I walked on was the chance to fly with some people I don't normally get to fly with. That was the only draw for me.
Then knowing Axis would be short in Frame 4 I showed up but really wasn't into it.

Hoping the next one looks promising.

Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »

Unbalanced plane set by the numbers.
Bogus allowance for more attacker and bomber lives - promoted runaway scoring.
Critically flawed scoring system.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »

Unbalanced plane set by the numbers.
Bogus allowance for more attacker and bomber lives - promoted runaway scoring.
Critically flawed scoring system.

-3 for same reasons.

Had some fun fights, but…
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
However I score this, I'd fly again in a heartbeat.   Scenarios are AH's best experience.

+1 for the setting (terrain, plane set): late war ETO plays into AH's strengths, and that Germany terrain is just jaw droppingly beautiful.  Very cool with so many forested areas and a lot of uneven topography - NOE missions really required concentration.  Would've loved even more plane types like the A-20, Spit 9, P-51B, P-47D-25, P-38J, 190A5, 109G06, maybe even a couple Ar234s to keep the Allies busy in their own backfield. 

+1 for command staff: Always a difficult position, but I thought we had great leaders from the top right down to the flight leads.  I'd bet the Allies did too.

-1 for scoring/balance: something was off, way off.  Some theoretical assumptions didn't hold against experience; hoping to learn from this.  Scoring isn't everything, but I think a few more scenarios with scoring/balance off by this much will harm participation eventually.  I know designers always strive for a fair engagement but the magnitude of score difference, even when the Axis outnumbered the Allies, was just too great.

-1 for the perk planes: I loved the idea of a few Tempests and Ta152s in the mix, but those perk planes with the talented sticks driving them became force multipliers that were just too hard to account for.   

-1 for the "MA" feel: I felt the AO was too small - we were in contact with enemy forces too early after launching I thought.  Radar gives away too much info; there was very little "fog of war" that I remember in earlier scenarios.  Also, we jumped all over as a unit - landing at one field and then upping quickly again at an airfield on the other side of the map felt a little MA-like.

Adding those up gives my overall rating as a -1, but I still enjoyed the scenario a lot.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 02:18:43 PM »
+2 

Only disliked manned guns as a p47 attack pilot. Otherwise had a blast.

(individual results may vary, be sure to consult your squad CO before attempting scenarios)
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
from -5 to +5 with 0 neutral, I'd say +1. I say that mostly because of the plane setup. I think the balance wasn't there. The fields were too close and the ability for one side to score was just so much higher than the other. I also have a bit of a problem when a scenario is just every-plane-in-the-arena-slammed-into-one-sector, and that's hard to avoid sometimes but something about the nature of this one just lent it to devolving into that kind of engagement repeatedly.