Author Topic: Defensively Vertical?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
Re: Defensively Vertical?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
Morfiend and the other trainers are a BIG help!

Keep asking questions; even though you see how many similar and various answers you can get, you will start to see what is valuable advice and what works for you. In time you start to have these "ah HA!" moments when something you've read or practiced with a trainer starts to make sense. Little by little it comes together. Remember too that everyone gets shot down in this virtual world, we all make mistakes and have something to learn from them.

If you really get into it, check out some of the many great books on air combat defense. My favorite is In Pursuit by Johan Kylander.  the author once had it online to download, for free, but there's paperbacks and such you can purchase that are worth getting.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »
Going to highlight and ask questions on some information to try to help clarify.

This situation is great when you know (from experience) that they will get too close to you if you simply go for a sheer vertical hammerhead or over-the-top reversal, giving them a floating object to shoot at; same reasoning when we are talking about a spiral climb or proper rooe-a-dope (drawn out spiral climb, increasingly tighter as needed). A good exercise when attempting a vertical reversal is for the defender to have their wingtip towards the assailant - this usually makes the defender a smaller target and you are halfway across your roll towards where they will overshoot you. Try to use your plane's torque in your favor, when you can it is often best to have the atacker off of your right wing in a 109 so as to use the engine's torque to aid you in your counterclockwise (or widdershins) roll.
Yep your right should be from tail not wingtip :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »
If this is the case something has already gone terribly wrong and any situation where you can what if it all day is hard to explain how to beat it.

So you have a Spit 9(type fighter) 1K behind your K4....you have E and they manuever ed to get there on your 6 (this is the situation I'm reading from your posts)...

If they maneuvered to get there and have less E then you...a zoom climb to get above your opponent is easy. You base your pitch not off a standard say like 45 degrees but off what your opponent decides to do with his pitch. If they match your pitch, make yours steeper, if they shallow out to keep energy you can shallows yours....I would also suggest adding a spiral into it to force them to lose that energy to follow you...in a spiral climb your objective is to create an angle where they flip their plane over to follow your spiral....this is where they burn the most energy because gravity and lift are both pointed toward the earth.

If the plane is closing on you....going vertical is the best way to close the energy gap between you and your opponent. A lot of people preach the split s but you are just giving up the fight over and over...yea it's safe but it's going to end poorly.

You use a vertical manuever to force an overshoot. Going vertical in a reverse is risky but if done correctly leads to better position to force a rolling scissors or vertical scissor or even to gain a shot opportunity as the enemy flys by. You do this by starting a turn creating an obtuse angle between their nose and your wingtip. As they get closer you tigthen that turn to create a 90 degree angle from your fuselage and their nose...at this point just before they have guns you go vertical into a barrel roll as the over shoot you try to keep your roll behind their 3 9 line (their wings) kinda like you would in a turn fight...

These are hard to type about, I do feel like the community deserves a good video explanation because a lot of players struggle against this.

Very nice write up.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »
Cav,

I usually stay out of these conversations,mostly because it's difficult to explain with just words and someone will always find some fault to pick and the thread goes sideways!

First thing I would do is turn into the enemy,trying to spoil any shot they may have and to cause them to change their pursuit course.

It would be much simpler to show you than try to explain all of this,I'm usually in the TA most evenings,drop by and give me a shout and I'm sure I can give you some tips that you can work on and help you develop a proper approach to convert from defensive to offensive when being chased by an enemy!

:salute

PS: there is no singularly approach as there are too many variables,but there are some dont do this,like pulling straight up in front of the enemy!!

Heh, I tried slamming on the brakes once, with Morf on my six, hoping he would overshoot. Didn't work like I thought it would. LOL Good thing we were in the TA or I'd of been in the tower in a blink.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
If this is the case something has already gone terribly wrong and any situation where you can what if it all day is hard to explain how to beat it.

So you have a Spit 9(type fighter) 1K behind your K4....you have E and they manuever ed to get there on your 6 (this is the situation I'm reading from your posts)...

If they maneuvered to get there and have less E then you...a zoom climb to get above your opponent is easy. You base your pitch not off a standard say like 45 degrees but off what your opponent decides to do with his pitch. If they match your pitch, make yours steeper, if they shallow out to keep energy you can shallows yours....I would also suggest adding a spiral into it to force them to lose that energy to follow you...in a spiral climb your objective is to create an angle where they flip their plane over to follow your spiral....this is where they burn the most energy because gravity and lift are both pointed toward the earth.

If the plane is closing on you....going vertical is the best way to close the energy gap between you and your opponent. A lot of people preach the split s but you are just giving up the fight over and over...yea it's safe but it's going to end poorly.

You use a vertical manuever to force an overshoot. Going vertical in a reverse is risky but if done correctly leads to better position to force a rolling scissors or vertical scissor or even to gain a shot opportunity as the enemy flys by. You do this by starting a turn creating an obtuse angle between their nose and your wingtip. As they get closer you tigthen that turn to create a 90 degree angle from your fuselage and their nose...at this point just before they have guns you go vertical into a barrel roll as the over shoot you try to keep your roll behind their 3 9 line (their wings) kinda like you would in a turn fight...

These are hard to type about, I do feel like the community deserves a good video explanation because a lot of players struggle against this.

So essentially, it is an understanding of turn circles and pursuit curves.

When I break I'm trying to create angles on the bandit (Aspect angle and Angle off) and increase closure on the bandit to make him solve the problem of how to get back on my 6.   The issue is the bandit may just pull lead for a gunshot and there is no problem left to solve if you don't recognize this.

So a bandit can't use turning ability of his aircraft to solve for Aspect or Angle off until he gets to your turn circle.  The distance he is outside of your turn is "free angles"...I think everyone knows if you turn early enough,  you will meet the guy nose to nose (180 aspect)...most don't do this (for whatever reason). 

So since most guys pull lead for a shot against a turning bandit here is what is happening.  When you pull lead against a bandit in a break, you are increasing aspect angle, increasing angle off, and increasing closure (all things that I said you want to do TO the bandit when you are defensive correct? So this is actually helping me when I'm defensive!!). But you (as the attacker) are doing it for a reason...a gunshot attempt.

So as the defender, you do your turn, you see the bandit, you roll to put him on a wingtip and then pull up to avoid the gun attempt (remember he needs 3 things for an effective gun shot--he has to be IN RANGE, IN LEAD, and IN PLANE OF MOTION). This gets you out of the PLANE OF MOTION, and is the start to the barrel roll that Junky talked about.  The key here is to assess line of sight (LOS) of the bandit across the tail, if it is low, barrel roll may not work. If it is high, it will work).

Here is the video Junky asked for....it is a P-51 coming in with E on me, when I'm on the deck.  As junky said...it is easier to watch then try to explain:)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:55:01 AM by Dobs »
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »
Another good post.   :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
Good video with Jerkins explaining what he's doing...the only area where I had a problem is in the initial roll he talks about coming down on top of his opponent, you want to stay behind your opponent to keep them in front of you which is why you see the Hog almost come back within his turn.

DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 12:46:18 PM »
I made some video recently because I'm training someone and it shows exactly what's going on in that youtube vid.

www.baileyarabians.com/AH3/DefensiveReversal.ahf

I'd watch it with Icons on, Trails on, External , looking out the back and in fixed view mode. That should give you some idea of what's going on.
Now at the time I was out of ammo but the flying still applies.

Hope that helps.

Also remember that the move is dynamic, so how hard you pull, whether you work your throttle, where you are aiming your plane all can change throughout the manuver depending on what action your adversary takes which is why you need to keep an eye on him.

Good video with Jerkins explaining what he's doing...the only area where I had a problem is in the initial roll he talks about coming down on top of his opponent, you want to stay behind your opponent to keep them in front of you which is why you see the Hog almost come back within his turn.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:48:35 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 04:04:24 PM »
I'm looking for some tactics on how you would employ a fighter that is considered a strong vertical performer, when in a fight and the enemy has your six.

A good tactic for a bandit close on your 6, when you can't out turn them or out run them, is to get them out of phase with your turns. You can do this with vertical or horizontal turns. The bandit will likely get snap shots but you should be able to avoid giving them a tracking shot.

For vertical turns,  pull up while watching the bandit and when they follow you up go down. As they follow you down go up again. Repeat until you have sufficient separation to become offensive or to exit and reset the fight.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
I'd add the KI-84 to the list of sneaky climbers too. And of course the P-38 and even the Brewster, dont ask me why, but Ive been surprised by the climb in that dang thing a few times. Even if you are in a very good climbing airplane you can get in trouble against one of the better energy players when he's in a airplane with a good roll rate. The Corsair and the P-47M and 40 come to mind.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
I'd add the KI-84 to the list of sneaky climbers too. And of course the P-38 and even the Brewster, dont ask me why, but Ive been surprised by the climb in that dang thing a few times. Even if you are in a very good climbing airplane you can get in trouble against one of the better energy players when he's in a airplane with a good roll rate. The Corsair and the P-47M and 40 come to mind.

Super light planes float like kites, so brewsters, zeros, etc will have an advantage in very low stall speed while cutting across a zooming plane's flight path. Always have to be careful of them
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2017, 07:18:39 PM »
Cav,

I usually stay out of these conversations,mostly because it's difficult to explain with just words and someone will always find some fault to pick and the thread goes sideways!

First thing I would do is turn into the enemy,trying to spoil any shot they may have and to cause them to change their pursuit course.

It would be much simpler to show you than try to explain all of this,I'm usually in the TA most evenings,drop by and give me a shout and I'm sure I can give you some tips that you can work on and help you develop a proper approach to convert from defensive to offensive when being chased by an enemy!

:salute

PS: there is no singularly approach as there are too many variables,but there are some dont do this,like pulling straight up in front of the enemy!!

As Morf says, too many variables.  Do learn how to use your lift vector and maneuver out of plane with your opponent.  Always strive to spoil the opponent's firing solution.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
As Morf says, too many variables.  Do learn how to use your lift vector and maneuver out of plane with your opponent.  Always strive to spoil the opponent's firing solution.

Agreed!

Lyme (cav),
The best way to really learn proper BFM, is to start at the beginning and build up learning/practice mastering / getting the fundementals down, and build your Knowledge base with a firm Rock Solid Strong foundation...once you have accomplished this build upon it with the differing BFM and ACM elements

and remember, you never stop learning something new, unless you just STOP!

at least you show great initiative by just showing up in the Help & Training Forum and ask questions and for help!  that is a major step in it self

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
As TC says, start with the basics.  Most experts don't know the basics or don't know how to explain and teach them.  Crawl.....walk.....run.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all