Author Topic: Brand New System For AH3 - Need Expert Advice Before Buying  (Read 4532 times)

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
Brand New System For AH3 - Need Expert Advice Before Buying
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »
So when AH when to the new version (AH3) I was one of those without a machine to handle it. I had been able to play AH2 on my laptop, but that went by the wayside with the update to AH3.

It looks like it is time to put together a new desktop that will run AH3 with most of the bells and whistles running for a change. I haven't built a completely new system since the beginning of this century so I have no clue as to what works together and what don't anymore so I am here looking for some expert advice as to whether I have picked components that will play together well and allow me to run AH3 with pretty much every turned on/up.

What I have selected is as follows:

CPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113326&ignorebbr=1

CPU Fan: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103099

Mobo: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132713&ignorebbr=1

RAM: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156095&ignorebbr=1

GPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487292

Case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353123&ignorebbr=1

PSU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139051

HDD: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822236339

This comes it at $669.86 without shipping or an operating system.

I don't know if what I have selected is overkill so if any of the experts here can suggest anything that can save me a few $$$'s I would appreciate it.

Be advised that the above price includes (2) 4GB RAM modules for a whopping total of 8GB. I have read that this should be more than enough to run AH3 and I went with a 750W psu to make sure that I have enough. If I can get away with less, I don't have a problem with that. Also, AH3 is the biggest thing that this machine will run. We don't do any real video editing or photo editing.

Also, I need some advice regarding an OS. I really liked Windows 7 and am running 8.1 on my laptop. How is Windows 10? Anyone having problems with it? Does it seem to work well with AH3?

Again, I would appreciate any and all input as to what will allow me to play AH3 with most if not all the bells and whistles for a change.

Thanks in advance,
VanceVP
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:08:56 PM by VanceVP »

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
Re: Brand New System For AH3 - Need Expert Advice Before Buying
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
I put together another part list for your consideration.  About $50 bucks more then your original.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DWBsxY

You don't need a 750W power supply.  You really don't even need a CPU cooler.  I changed the 1050 card to a 1060 3gb.  I'm using that card on AH3 and getting 60 frames no problem.

Goodluck!
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
I put together another part list for your consideration.  About $50 bucks more then your original.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DWBsxY

You don't need a 750W power supply.  You really don't even need a CPU cooler.  I changed the 1050 card to a 1060 3gb.  I'm using that card on AH3 and getting 60 frames no problem.

Goodluck!

Thanks Cav, but do I really need 8 cores?

That seems like overkill to me. From what I have read here on the forums, AHIII runs fine on just 2 cores so I thought I would be in good shape going with a quad-core.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:53:21 PM »
A quad core is fine for the game.  You want the fastest clock rate CPU you can afford.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
A quad core is fine for the game.  You want the fastest clock rate CPU you can afford.

Thanks Skuzzy

So the Quad-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM3+ 125W  should be plenty fast or is there something faster I should consider?

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
Skuzzy, I'm curious about the value of a CPU that seems overkill relative to the GPU.  For example I've been happy with my system suing an i3 6100 and GTX 1060 running a 1440 p monitor.  I've run some tests and find that when my frame rates drop below my monitor's max of 75 fps, it looks like the CPU is not maxed out while the GPU is maxed, indicating that the GPU is the rate limiting hardware?

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:45:01 PM »
From all the reading on this subject, the only issue w/ this particular AMD CPU is whether AHIII will run on at least 2 of the cores if not all 4 of them due to the issue of whether this CPU cores can use the high precision timer that AHIII needs to properly multithread across these cores, or just use 1 CPU core of the 4.

TC can most likely answer this question better than most of us.

I hope that it is possible for you.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:48 AM »
From all the reading on this subject, the only issue w/ this particular AMD CPU is whether AHIII will run on at least 2 of the cores if not all 4 of them due to the issue of whether this CPU cores can use the high precision timer that AHIII needs to properly multithread across these cores, or just use 1 CPU core of the 4....

One of my recent builds is running the AMD FX-4350 Quad-Core CPU and Windows 7 Pro 64.

And...the $79.99 price is excellent bang for your buck.

AH3 is using 2 cores and runs quite well.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:27:46 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »
Skuzzy, I'm curious about the value of a CPU that seems overkill relative to the GPU.  For example I've been happy with my system suing an i3 6100 and GTX 1060 running a 1440 p monitor.  I've run some tests and find that when my frame rates drop below my monitor's max of 75 fps, it looks like the CPU is not maxed out while the GPU is maxed, indicating that the GPU is the rate limiting hardware?

Most any 3Ghz CPU, or faster, should be fine when coupled with a decent video card.

The graphic engine in Aces High III depends on the video card for rendering everything.  In most cases the GPU will be the limiting factor.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline VanceVP

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:18 AM »
Thanks for all the input.

From all the reading on this subject, the only issue w/ this particular AMD CPU is whether AHIII will run on at least 2 of the cores if not all 4 of them due to the issue of whether this CPU cores can use the high precision timer that AHIII needs to properly multithread across these cores, or just use 1 CPU core of the 4.

If this particular CPU is questionable, which of the AMD (back in the day when I was building systems, I was big fan of AMD both for pricing and performance) CPU's is the best alternative?

How does one go about determining whether a particular CPU will get the job done when it comes to AHIII?

The last thing I want to do is plug in a CPU that is going to give me headaches. And is it safe to assume that aside from maybe a bit of overkill on the PSU, I think I am going to look at a 600w - 650w instead, and maybe look at a different CPU, all the other components should play together well and allow me to play AHIII with most all the bells and whistles?

And finally, no opinions regarding whether Windows 10 gets along with AHIII? I hate having to get used to a new OS? Maybe I will just stick with 8.1 and go from there.

Again, thanks to all who have shared their opinions. I do appreciate it.

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 07:32:59 AM »
There is nothing questionable about that CPU it's an excellent choice. You picked the best CPU for the money in my opinion.  :cheers:

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
Windows 10 is still having growing pains so you're better off sticking with 7 or 8.1 64 bit.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:06:26 AM »
If you like AMD, you can also save some more money by opting for AMD over nVidia GPU - I've seen 4Gb RX 480 cards for as low as $155 on NewEgg.   I have an MSI RX480 that gives me a solid 60fps at 1080p using default graphic settings.  That includes shadows, reflections, and bump mapping.  Game looks great.   

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »
One of my recent builds is running the AMD FX-4350 Quad-Core CPU and Windows 7 Pro 64.

And...the $79.99 price is excellent bang for your buck.

AH3 is using 2 cores and runs quite well.

Good Morning Drane, do you prefer to use your GPU/HDMI connection for Audio from the Video card, verses using the onboard sound from that MSI MB's Realtek Audio? just curious?

I have 2 different builds using the AMD FX-4350 CPU, and have not run into any issues on either build... matter of fact the build I use as my current gaming rig is using the FX-4350 on an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 MB using 32 GB of Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz DDR3 System Ram (4) 8 GB DIMMS with an AMD Radeon Sapphire Dual-X OC edition R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 256 bit http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?os=Win81_64&Pid=524951DE-D0A8-44F4-ABD9-ABCE79A16F73&tag=download&lang=eng ... using a Crucial MX200 250 GB SSD....the OS is Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

the other build is using the same MB that Drane is using ( this is my Dad's computer, I built for him ) running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit

As for this CPU using multiple cores in AH3, the 2 I have built are using them.... back during /near the end of closed beta, I noticed that my rig was using all 4 cores interchangeably while at times using 2 cores here and there, switch across all of them... I was not assigning any affinity or prioritys manually for any cores, I just let windows 8.1 Pro do the scheduling/threading/IO, etc...

I like your Motherboard choice, VanceVP, I might have even chose it if it was available when I built this rig...

I would recommend you taking a look at getting either the Black WD Hard Drive if you want to stick with Western Digital........but I recommend you getting a Hitachi deskstar wit either 64 or 128 MB cache or if you can afford it a hitachi ultrastar enterprise drive with 128 MB cache......... you can go either SAS ( 12GB/s ) or SATA III ( 6GB/s ) with not very much difference in the cost... check them out on newwegg..... don't get anything under the 74000 and 76000 series of these HD's..... do your research

in any case, seen and heard about a lot of those WD Blue HD's failure rate

Hope This Helps and have fun building!

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
VanceVP, that CPU cooler you have linked to is basically the same thing I am using, mine is a Corsair CA70 ( CAFA70 ) with 2 120mm fans set up in push/pull fashion

using 2 fans, will cover your 1st DIMM slot and you will only be able to use low profile memory ( unless you do a little fabrication to the heat spreader on a High Profile heat Spreader, I did the first time around, no problem )

I ran into this issue regardless if I was building Intel or AMD, on ASUS Full ATX Motherboards

Hope This Helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC