Author Topic: Please please please stop with this night time stuff  (Read 5459 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Re: Please please please stop with this night time stuff
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »
I remember back in AH2 I did a scenario with p47s and 190a5. Majority of the scenario was night time. I forgot what the name of that scenario was. It was a blast, cockpits were lit up and everything. The night feature looked way better than what AH3 nighttime looks like. It was a while back tho. Me and Irish0ne flew together in it. I wish I can remember the name of the scenario.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
I love the Dawn/Dusk and wish it lasted a bit longer.  Great opportunity to sneak up on people who don't have very good SA, and it actually makes your tracers visible for a minute.  It lasts all of about 10 minutes, so I don't think it's a huge deal.  Just something else for people to blame their losses on.  I'm pretty sure the Russians are behind the Dawn/Dusk cycle.    :bolt:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
I wouldn't mind if it were only a very small proportion of my flying, but it actually isn't.

Things are very gloomy for a period in advance and afterwards.  So, if you are flying for only an hour, a substantial portion of your time is squinting around in the murk.

The times I play are often off peak anyway, when there aren't a lot of people up.  Gloominess makes it even harder to have an enjoyable fight in during the time I had available.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »
So, who, exactly is against night time flying? Is it a dozen or are there HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS opposed to it?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
So, who, exactly is against night time flying? Is it a dozen or are there HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS opposed to it?

There are barely HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of players.  It doesn't take that many people logging to affect the arena these days.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »
Gebuz, you folks are a finicky bunch.

This passive aggressive approach to showing dislike to evening transitions, (sigh), when we're trying to grow the community, show that we like working together to make this a great game, makes me wonder.  Seriously folks, pick the right battle.

If people spent all their energy coming up with new gameplay ideas and other strategies for Aces High instead of complaining about night time, we'd have a much better cohesive arena.

Not that it's the main point here, but you don't have the correct meaning of "passive aggressive".  Passive aggressive means that you oppose what a person wants not by clearing expressing your opposition but by silently not doing it or pretending to do it while not really doing it.

Also, I'm not finicky.  I complain about something in Aces High about once every few years.  I'm about the *least* finicky person in the history of this genre if you judge by how long I've been enthusiastic and active (been playing this genre since 1988 in Air Warrior).

I promote the game more than just about any player, and I recruit family, friends, and acquaintances to play the game.  I've sent computers and computer equipment to people so that they can play AH.  I've bought people equipment so that they can sign up and play.  I've paid for people's subscriptions here and there.

But, every once in a while, I voice my opinion on how something can be made better.

In this case, in my opinion, the MA would be significantly better with a very easy change:  eliminate dawn/dusk or make the duration of the gloomy period a lot shorter, so folks don't log off when it starts to get gloomy.

I think it is a constructive suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:37:14 PM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
Also, to be clear, this game is my most-favorite and main hobby.

I *love* this game.  I want it to succeed.  I do what I can to help.

That includes the occasional opinion on a change for the better.

The MA, in my opinion, would be better with the very easy change of no or much less dawn/dusk gloom.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »

I think it is a constructive suggestion.

Fair enough - perspective is everything. Thanks for help clarifying Brooke. My comment of passive aggressive is not fair. Sorry mate.

Personally, I could really care less if it came or went. Makes for pretty sunsets and sunrises and it's super easy to fix right? (from the arena sunset/sunrise time settings).

I'd like to hear why Hitech has it turned on...so...bruh, why is it turned on?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:38:54 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »

you might be under the illusion that those that play at night dont up their gamma.  me I got tired of it so now I dont play, I'll either stay in the tower or log off and come back later.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
Add more action in the night time!

Search lights, engine exhaust, lights in windows on town buildings/etc!

Make a deal out of it!

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2017, 02:00:23 PM »
Fair enough - perspective is everything. Thanks for help clarifying Brooke. My comment of passive aggressive is not fair. Sorry mate.

Personally, I could really care less if it came or went. Makes for pretty sunsets and sunrises and it's super easy to fix. 

I'd like to hear why Hitech has it turned on...so...bruh, why is it turned on?

You are a one of the good ones, Mr. Fork!  No hard feelings here for me -- you and I both at heart want the same thing:  for AH to do well, and we love the game.  We are brothers in that!  :aok

I think it is on for several reasons:
1.  It is realistic that a world has dawn/dusk as well as noon, morning, later in the day, etc.
2.  Having different times of the day instead of it just being noon all the time adds variety.
3.  Dawn/dusk is just for a short period (but that depends on how long you are playing -- it's not short if you are playing around a dawn/dusk cycle).
4.  Some players do like dawn/dusk.

I've put dawn/dusk into scenarios from time to time.  The difference, though, is that I don't put it in during fighting times.  It's in there (if at all) at the very beginning when folks are climbing and travelling to a battle, and it will be gone by the time they get into fights, and at the end after the fights are done or to signify fighting time is ending, and they are travelling back to base.

The problem with it in the MA is that there aren't set times for battles.  You log on, and you go fight.  If your particular playing session is short, and dawn/dusk happens during it, a significant portion of your time is going to be in gloom.  Also, I see significantly more people saying, "Ug.  It's dawn/dusk again." instead of "Yay!  It's dawn/dusk again!".  Most people seem not to like it.

But, it's easy to do an in-game poll and find out more thoroughly.  Do you want the dawn/dusk low-light period to be:
-- Same as it is now.
-- Shorter.
-- Eliminated.

If there is a clear winner, you can implement it easily.

I'd also (if it's not already this way -- it could very well already be this way) make it not sync up with the 24-hour day as suggested above.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
I haven't played in over a month unfortunately.

I downloaded the updates the other day and just logged in to play for an hour or 2. Night time? No thank you. Yes, i am one of those lame guys who logs out at dusk. :devil
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:42:21 PM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2017, 03:38:43 PM »
Add more action in the night time!

Search lights, engine exhaust, lights in windows on town buildings/etc!

Make a deal out of it!

This would make a world of difference
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2017, 06:39:38 PM »
I love the Night, when it's dark-but the dusk and dawn has either got to go or make it shorter or go by faster-green sky and green trees and grass do not mix
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »
wise words from a lunatic..same for me, I like the dark, its not actually dark anyway it seems to brighten up compared to dusk and dawn.
I would be happy dusk and dawn 2-5mins max but dark 30 mins
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."