Author Topic: visable shore batteries  (Read 2338 times)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: visable shore batteries
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2017, 11:38:09 PM »
yep easypeasy.. top left of screen shows + - yards etc ..now go tear up a town/Base

give me a shout if you want M3 resupply lessons its slightly more complex..anytime mate  :cheers:

:noid

CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 04:46:55 AM »
yeah visable sb's not bothering me now, i guess all in all it works out in the wash
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
land mode is like your shooting from land.  example, if you shoot withe the same aim it will hit the same spot.  this would not be true if your doing mortars from a moving truck or a boat.  hence land mode.  for sea mode the guns remain stationary after each shot.  land mode the guns are always adjusting to aim at a given target.  hence land mode is how you would want the guns set to be guided in by observer.

Your explanation of "Land mode" matches my understanding, where it automatically compensates for the movement of the ship, to keep the impact point fixed. However, for "Sea mode", my understanding was that it compensates for both the movement of the firing ship and the movement of the target, to keep the impact point fixed relative to the target. On reflection, my thinking must be wrong, as we don't "designate" a ship target by clicking on something, the way we do for land. So, can we please get some kind of range-finder for the ship's naval arty?
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
<snip>So, can we please get some kind of range-finder for the ship's naval arty?

+A_BILLION for that idea. Jebus - range fingers were bread and butter instruments in all ships. As long as we can get a Stereoscopic rangefinders (which the navy had!!!) - could be a different view on a BB or any naval gun. (i.e. hop into range finder, then back to gunsight.).
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
Here they are on a naval ship from WWII

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
Your explanation of "Land mode" matches my understanding, where it automatically compensates for the movement of the ship, to keep the impact point fixed. However, for "Sea mode", my understanding was that it compensates for both the movement of the firing ship and the movement of the target, to keep the impact point fixed relative to the target. On reflection, my thinking must be wrong, as we don't "designate" a ship target by clicking on something, the way we do for land. So, can we please get some kind of range-finder for the ship's naval arty?

Sea mode simply accounts for any turning of your ship. You have a range finder with the mill sight.

HiTech

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »
Sea mode simply accounts for any turning of your ship. You have a range finder with the mill sight.

HiTech
Thanks, Dale. I do recall now that there is some sort of cross-hairs when in the big guns, but couldn't figure out exactly how it was used.

Is there anyone out there willing to post a short tutorial on how the ship range-finder mill sight is used? Thanks.
Sabre

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
Align the bottom edge of the yellow graticule with the waterline of the ship to set the range.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Align the bottom edge of the yellow graticule with the waterline of the ship to set the range.

...and the numbers and markings mean what?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 02:06:35 PM »
1 Mill = the angular height or width 1 foot at 1000 feet, or any other 1 unit at 1000 units.

So if a ship is 50 feet high and measures 3  mills high, simply take height / mills I.E. 50 / 3 = 16.6 and multiply by a thousand , 16.6 * 1000 = 16,600 feet away.

HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
Is there a table someplace with the various heights of the ships/targets in the game?

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 03:53:35 PM »
1 Mill = the angular height or width 1 foot at 1000 feet, or any other 1 unit at 1000 units.

So if a ship is 50 feet high and measures 3  mills high, simply take height / mills I.E. 50 / 3 = 16.6 and multiply by a thousand , 16.6 * 1000 = 16,600 feet away.

HiTech

"This new math doth amaze me! Tell me again how a swallow can carry a coconut!" Oh, and don't forget to divide by 3 to convert feet to yards. I still like the idea of recreating the system used by actual naval guns on ships. See: http://mathscinotes.com/2013/08/battleship-rangefinders-and-geometry/ . I suspect Mr Fork got his USS Idaho pic from the same article. It would free us math-lazy types from having to grab a calculator while we're in the middle of a gun dual. Hey, "Give a mouse a cookie..." :D Barring that, could we get the heights of all AH ships currently in-game, as suggested above? Oh, and another suggestion might be a clipboard app to do the math; select ship-type, input the mills, and out pops the range to target in yards. Hey, I can ask, right?

Thanks again, Hitech, for taking the time to interact with us and answer our endless series of questions. I really do appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 03:57:39 PM by Sabre »
Sabre

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »
"This new math doth amaze me! Tell me again how a swallow can carry a coconut!" Oh, and don't forget to divide by 3 to convert feet to yards. I still like the idea of recreating the system used by actual naval guns on ships. See: http://mathscinotes.com/2013/08/battleship-rangefinders-and-geometry/ . I suspect Mr Fork got his USS Idaho pic from the same article. It would free us math-lazy types from having to grab a calculator while we're in the middle of a gun dual. Hey, "Give a mouse a cookie..." :D Barring that, could we get the heights of all AH ships currently in-game, as suggested above? Oh, and another suggestion might be a clipboard app to do the math; select ship-type, input the mills, and out pops the range to target in yards. Hey, I can ask, right?

Thanks again, Hitech, for taking the time to interact with us and answer our endless series of questions. I really do appreciate it.

Yep - it is appreciated. Yet the navy folks had their bino rangefinder they would just dial in - and later on with the Mark radar systems, it was done electronically to the fire control system who then fed it to the lads on the inside top portion of the turret who adjusted the range for their assigned fire mission. (Every turret crew could also use their own optical sights if their fire control radar was out or being used on another target - good to have a backup if the Ford Mark 1 was out).

I'll can do up a table. But I'm not happy to do it...do I have to know the operational heights of the ships to calculate how far they're away? :furious

:D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:40:23 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
I use a certain line. Align it with the waterline of the target ship and bingo. :) No calculations.

Sometimes when the ships are farther off the waterline is not shown clearly and you have to adjust down accordingly.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »
What's wrong with airplanes surrounded by trees? That's the way we did it...

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni