Author Topic: AHIII Flight Changes  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: AHIII Flight Changes
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:19 AM »

Thank you for doing that Lusche. Having had a few minutes to examine that chart, while I can understand a use / recharge cycle modelling temperature issues, I really don't understand the allocation of the total times at all. Was the introduction of 'total time' intended to be some kind of handicapping system to balance the planeset does anyone know?

Some time ago HT mentioned the planes were meant to have a limited WEP time from start. So the traditionally unlimited WEP was a kind of glitch in the first place.

By the way, In a few minutes I will post an updated table with better formatting and including the bombers in a separate thread.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »
If there are no F M changes then why does my nose bounce all over the place when lining up a shot? I have scaling set to the same as AH II, AKAK's scaling. I can't hit chit!!!   :angry:

The flight modeling has nothing to do with a "bouncy" nose.  Just FYI.

Here is an experiment to try.  Load up Aces High III and go offline.  Make sure the clipboard is as large as you can get it.  Helps with the graph granularity.

While in the tower, bring up the clipboard and go to the Options->Controls->Map Controllers panel.
---------
Select the Y Axis in the list and open the "Advanced" panel.
Now, pay attention to the raw input graph while doing this. 
Place your hand on the stick and hold it steady on center.  Does the graph line move?
Now, push the stick approximately half way forward and hold it steady.  Does the graph line move?
Now pull the stick back to center and continue half way back and hold it steady. Does the graph line move?

Now, let's repeat that with the X Axis, only moving the stick side to side.
Do the same with the Z axis if you are using a twisty stick and have it mapped to the rudder.  Only with the twisty stick, you need to test half way to the left and half way to the right as well as center.
-------
If, at any time, when holding the stick steady, if raw graph line moves, then you have found the potential source of your bouncy plane nose.  Fixing it may require some deadband on the offending axis.  What you want to do is to get the scaled graph line to hold steady, regardless of how much the raw line moves, when holding the stick steady.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:02:22 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »
Did something change with gunnery/ballistics from AH2?  It does seem harder to hit things in AH3, but that could just be me.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »
Great Refresher for my Memory Skuzzy, Thanks!

To add, Regarding mental image / shooting:
One other thing I noticed switching from Aces High II to Aces High III, which was when I loaded up AH III and let it use the default FOV setting, this was playing havoc on my mental memory image of what I was accustomed to seeing while dogfighting/flying since the beginning of Aces High..

Where I normally had used a FOV of 106 for years, it was defaulted to something like 83 or 90 FOV?( don't remember which )......so I decided to go with 100 FOV: this still played havoc with me trying to hit the target

I switched my FOV to 110: again, still the same problem, from years of muscles memory / mental image memory of using a FOV of 106, I had to switch Aces High  III to FOV: 106 to get back to what I had been accustomed to for the past nearly 19 years......

this little experience/experiment showed me that for those that have played for any length of time, that if they changed their FOV by just even 4 digits ( 106 to 110 ), that it would have an affect from what one had trained their brain/memory/muscle memory to react on when lining up for a shot or going for a crossing or deflection shot

just wanted to add this to Skuzzy's tip on trouble shooting "Nose Bounce(y) issues

Hope This Helps

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 12:45:00 PM »
The flight modeling has nothing to do with a "bouncy" nose.  Just FYI.

Here is an experiment to try.  Load up Aces High III and go offline.  Make sure the clipboard is as large as you can get it.  Helps with the graph granularity.

While in the tower, bring up the clipboard and go to the Options->Controls->Map Controllers panel.

Select the Y Axis in the list and open the "Advanced" panel.
Now, pay attention to the raw input graph while doing this. 
Place your hand on the stick and hold it steady on center.  Does the graph line move?
Now, push the stick approximately half way forward and hold it steady.  Does the graph line move?
No pull the stick back to center and continue half way back and hold it steady. Does the graph line move?

Now, let's repeat that with the X Axis, only moving the stick side to side.

If, at any time when holding the stick steady if raw graph line moves, then you have found the potential source of your bouncy plane nose.  Fixing that may require some deadband on that axis.  What you want to do is to get the scaled graph line to hold steady, regardless of how much the raw line moves, when holding the stick steady.

Ahhhh Roy thats cool I did not know you could check it like that and it's easy!  I usually have a player chase and shoot at me and I observe the plane then make my assessment.

Nose bounce is usually either caused by the rudder(yaw) or by the elevator(pitch),some who use twist sticks have rudder inputs when they pull the trigger. I can usually see the effects,the plane either yaws back and forth or the nose pitches up and down,or as I call it porpoising!

I spent some time with Majwoodie and got it mostly sorted,unfortunately I cant help when the player is hamfisting the controls but I can usually tell and advise them to relax.

Skuzzy's technique has just made my life easier.....Thx!

:salute

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
Did something change with gunnery/ballistics from AH2?  It does seem harder to hit things in AH3, but that could just be me.

No change there.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to mess with my FOV some more, thanks.   :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to mess with my FOV some more, thanks.   :salute

I've pretty much chalked it up to things just looking different between the versions.  The timing aspect is so tight when it comes to gunnery, I'm inclined to think there's nothing "wrong" with AH3, it's just different.  I know Vilkas commented he couldn't hit like he could in AH2 from his 5 inch, but the other day he was on and commented that he'd figured out he needed to lead them more than he had in the past.

Just another anecdote for the fire.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2017, 03:17:40 AM »
I had a lot of trouble fiddling with FOV too and settled by chance on 105. Then I felt no difference from II. The new explosion is a big improvement I think.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0