Author Topic: Trinity  (Read 1363 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: Trinity
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
why, devil, i had almost forgotten you were here.  how kind of you to speak up again.  is there anything else you would like to add?

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 04:48:52 PM »
Listen, there's a reason why the map was pulled from the rotation. There are many reason why the map did not promote combat - and no, one popular GV spawn camp does not count. Any recreation of it would have those inherent problems without a drastic redesign - at which point it really would be a new map, because the nuclear warning shape itself was a design problem.   

Trinity is gone. Many like me are happy it's gone. Get over it.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
It was three very good terrains jammed into one giant terrain. Players should be given a way to look at it's design to utilize it's three really good areas to make new terrains from. It took more than 300 players on it at the same time to achieve the game play genius of it's design. It was designed for 400+ players to have constant combat. Today it is out of scale for our prime time population.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
A copy of Trinity probably still exists. Maybe it can be converted to AH III and modified to comply with the current game if anyone wants to work on it. If you still have AH2 on your computer you can look in the Terrain folder.

<S>

To make any changes to that map would require the original source files. Not sure they are still around. I would think HTC would have a copy of them, but who knows as they didn't build it.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »
I loved trinity.

The people who play the widest variety of mission types are the ones who can have fun on any map.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »

To make any changes to that map would require the original source files. Not sure they are still around. I would think HTC would have a copy of them, but who knows as they didn't build it.

Any map HTC released is under our revision control system which we never purge.

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2017, 11:17:50 AM »
Any map HTC released is under our revision control system which we never purge.

HiTech

We are being allowed to adopt skins.   Any thought to allowing guys like Bustr and Greebo to adopt old maps?    Perhaps some can be reintroduced with a few tweaks here and there...   Just a thought.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
Devil505 must have had a really bad time on the Trinity map, to have such hatred for it.

I heard the reason Trinity got pulled was the bomber guys cried about having to climb so high to bomb some of the bases..
there never was any base that could not be attacked by bomber or fighter. Trinity was a good terrain and a fun one.. even though with all the trees now on most of the terrains now in AH3 I think it still be a good one..esp compared to Buzzsaw--which is weired 1 time I like it 1 time I hate it...

so Devil505  YOU get over it. a lot of people liked The Trinity map
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
I understand that some players liked it. But what they liked was limited to a small envelope of gameplay options in a very small area of a huge map.  The fields were too far apart to promote fights. The carriers took over 6 hours to traverse to the nearest enemy base from their port.  The only way to find quick action on Trinity was to GV at the V135 whack-a-mole camp - if you were lucky to be on one of the 2 countries to utilize it. Also the map stayed up about as much time as it took to play through all the other maps combined.

There's a reason the map was pulled from the rotation when the other huge maps stayed in.

It was never a case of a terrible gameplay experience, but a constant level of poor gameplay far too often.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
The mountains were 30,000 feet high!   :furious
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
We are being allowed to adopt skins.   Any thought to allowing guys like Bustr and Greebo to adopt old maps?    Perhaps some can be reintroduced with a few tweaks here and there...   Just a thought.
A lot of games have community made maps and all have the same policy of keeping them once they are approved for play....I know CSGOs reason is because they don't want any game breaking glitches added on purpose or accident.

Example for AH would be it being released and someone enabling a ME163 at a further up airfield....not sure what HTCs actual reason is though but I'm fine with them holding the maps once they are orginally approved TBH.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
The mountains were 30,000 feet high!   :furious
Always seemed like absolutely no lack of bomb****s that had threaded their way through the canyons to bomb the heck out of the v135 base and spawns.  They did have to be careful, those canyon walls were close and merciless.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
A lot of games have community made maps and all have the same policy of keeping them once they are approved for play....I know CSGOs reason is because they don't want any game breaking glitches added on purpose or accident.

Example for AH would be it being released and someone enabling a ME163 at a further up airfield....not sure what HTCs actual reason is though but I'm fine with them holding the maps once they are orginally approved TBH.

I would think a trusted person like Greebo or Bustr would be fairly low risk.   Also, HTC has the same control over approving an updated map as they did when it was sent in to begin with.   If someone does something wonky then it gets rejected--or replaced with a previous version if discovered later.

I think this is an idea that really should be considered.    If we can revamp some of the maps that are already out there to make them viable it will be a big plus all around.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »
I would think a trusted person like Greebo or Bustr would be fairly low risk.   Also, HTC has the same control over approving an updated map as they did when it was sent in to begin with.   If someone does something wonky then it gets rejected--or replaced with a previous version if discovered later.

I think this is an idea that really should be considered.    If we can revamp some of the maps that are already out there to make them viable it will be a big plus all around.
I'm just saying there is a reason why they don't, could be because they don't want those people getting burned at the stake if they changed a map and people didn't like it...who knows the actual reason but it's fine that they keep the maps...if it needs to be changed they are able to change them and any maps that truly need to be revamped should just be tossed aside...by revamped I think you mean resetting pretty much everything(spawn points, elevations ect ect ect)
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
I'm just saying there is a reason why they don't, could be because they don't want those people getting burned at the stake if they changed a map and people didn't like it...who knows the actual reason but it's fine that they keep the maps...if it needs to be changed they are able to change them and any maps that truly need to be revamped should just be tossed aside...by revamped I think you mean resetting pretty much everything(spawn points, elevations ect ect ect)

Revamped I mean "balanced" for the current conditions.   

I have an easier time updating a skin and moving things around than I do starting all over from the beginning.

Buzzsaw, for example, could be revised to move the strats out of the center.   That and a few other tweaks could make it playable.   MAYBE.   Seems a lot easier than starting over to me...
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -