Author Topic: Rubber Bullets Phenomenon  (Read 3419 times)

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Rubber Bullets Phenomenon
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:11 PM »
Can anyone explain when the rubber bullet phenomenon occurs? Judging from CH2 comments, it seems to be arena based.

I've been having this happen lately and checked my internet connect and ping, which is in the upper 60s.

I reviewed films that showed definite strikes on various enemy AC, but no damage, and I also accidentally shot up a friendly bomber, got multiple "you have shot yourself" messages, but no damage to my plane!

-Mutha

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Rubber Bullets Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:39:21 AM »
What makes you think there was no damage done?

If there is no damage in the damage list it means you did not hit any components in the damage list, or you did not hit them with enough bullets to damage them.

If you see a bullet strike, then you hit the object and damage is assessed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:41:40 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
What makes you think there was no damage done?

Good question.

I reviewed the film and from my view it clearly shows multiple strikes in a 2-3 second period from 400 out, dead six astern. I walk the strikes from right wing to fuselage, and pieces come off the target. All the usual feedback that tells me I'm doing severe damage to the enemy A/C.

When I switched views to the targeting A/C, I see strikes but no parts coming off. The plane continues to fly fine, and continues on its way.

So, I'm getting feedback from the game that I'm hitting the target (strikes, parts flying off, etc.), and based on my experience, I'm putting enough rounds in to do at least some damage, but when I viewed the targeted A/C, there doesn't seem to be any damage registered at all. 

I wouldn't bring this up unless it's been happening multiple times, over multiple days, as well as others in the arena commenting about it as well.

I'm sure it will go away - I was just curious as to what causes it.

Mutha

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
As far as I know, you never see any data from any other plane when you jump into them in the film viewer. Bullet strikes, damage, their rounds firing and so on. You will see your rounds and where they passed/hit but you wont see the damage.

Rubber bullets usually come from lost packets. If your internet connection is dropping packets at one hop or another I think it could give you rubber bullets as the info isn't getting to the other computer to assign the hit/damage.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
As far as I know, you never see any data from any other plane when you jump into them in the film viewer. Bullet strikes, damage, their rounds firing and so on. You will see your rounds and where they passed/hit but you wont see the damage.

Rubber bullets usually come from lost packets. If your internet connection is dropping packets at one hop or another I think it could give you rubber bullets as the info isn't getting to the other computer to assign the hit/damage.

Bullet strikes can not be lost with out getting discoed. Post the film, I can give you an exact account of what happened. But expect the results to be you simply did not hit the same component enough for it to fail.

HiTech

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »
Bullet strikes can not be lost with out getting discoed. Post the film, I can give you an exact account of what happened. But expect the results to be you simply did not hit the same component enough for it to fail.

HiTech

Hitech done this another time with someone else...it showed the guy shot the bombers up and didn't hit the sweet spot enough....
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »

HiTech

Is it a percentage of packet loss that get you discoed?

As for the rest of the info, when jumping in another plane in the film, it is correct in not seeing their data, right?

Thanks Hitech

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »

HiTech

Film attached - the hits in question occur at 0:11:00.

To be clear, I'm not accusing the game of failing, being hacked, etc. I do know connection issues can cause problems, and was curious about them.  I'm still getting kills!

Thanks!

Mutha

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
Last two times I killshot myself I got hit with 15+ rounds and did no damage. I assume the kill shooter is 1 for 1. I find it difficult to fathom that I can hit a plane with 15 half inch API rounds and not break something.

The frequency to which I lay into other fighter aircraft with 8 fifty caliber guns four or more times and watch it fly away is entirely too high. It should be the exception, not the rule.

When AH3 first rolled in and the arena numbers were low, myself and many other long time players noted the 50s seemed to hit like they should (hard). After a couple weeks they were as bad or worse than ever. I was told no settings were modified. If that's true, 50cals are simply more effective when fewer people are playing.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 02:17:49 AM »
Last two times I killshot myself I got hit with 15+ rounds and did no damage. I assume the kill shooter is 1 for 1. I find it difficult to fathom that I can hit a plane with 15 half inch API rounds and not break something.

The frequency to which I lay into other fighter aircraft with 8 fifty caliber guns four or more times and watch it fly away is entirely too high. It should be the exception, not the rule.

When AH3 first rolled in and the arena numbers were low, myself and many other long time players noted the 50s seemed to hit like they should (hard). After a couple weeks they were as bad or worse than ever. I was told no settings were modified. If that's true, 50cals are simply more effective when fewer people are playing.

I thought hits were calculated by the shooting client?

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »
V-sync

v-sync can cause dropped frames. You may not see a frame rate drop persay tho.

Because of something another player pointed out, I started playing.

I use a 60Hz HDTV. I disabled v-sync in video settings, kept it disabled in NVidia profiles global and AH3. Used MSI afterburner to cap the frames at 59. Set my HDTV to 59Hz.

I started HO'ing, and I was surprised. I saw hits, impacts that never seemed to manifest/display before.

Anyways, the slower Hz monitors could benefit from this. Known that v-sync is not good for latency. The modern hardware is out pacing old standards, and these older implementations seem to be getting in the way.

My take on rubber bullets, for what its worth.

:salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 12:51:53 PM »
Is it a percentage of packet loss that get you discoed?

As for the rest of the info, when jumping in another plane in the film, it is correct in not seeing their data, right?

Thanks Hitech
Unless it changed from AH2 you can see the damage on AH3 planes to include if someone is PWed, I made a film in AH2 from the enemy perspective of me killing him , pinged him gave him PW then shot his wing off on second reverse.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
V-sync

v-sync can cause dropped frames. You may not see a frame rate drop persay tho.

Because of something another player pointed out, I started playing.

I use a 60Hz HDTV. I disabled v-sync in video settings, kept it disabled in NVidia profiles global and AH3. Used MSI afterburner to cap the frames at 59. Set my HDTV to 59Hz.

I started HO'ing, and I was surprised. I saw hits, impacts that never seemed to manifest/display before.

Anyways, the slower Hz monitors could benefit from this. Known that v-sync is not good for latency. The modern hardware is out pacing old standards, and these older implementations seem to be getting in the way.

My take on rubber bullets, for what its worth.

:salute

If you have an older NVIDIA card try "adaptive sync" which will be available in the drop down selection for vsync. Changed to that and ran some tests offline, saw more of the hit sprites and damage along with slightly better long distance resolution. Tree and building shimmer on the ground reduced more to a mild waviness.

Just remember results for different players may vary.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 12:12:40 PM »
Last night several of my squad mates who have GTX10xx cards tried "Fast sync" with good results in the MA. I found in the MA with adaptive sync because I have an older GTX760, that a lot of the micro warping and super funky chicken went away. I could also hit what I was aiming at now since the motion of aircraft on my screen seemed to be in real time and not slightly lagged.

Older NVIDIA cards under the vsync settings in the desktop CC will see only adaptive sync. Newer cards will see adaptive, fast-sync and G-sync. I believe G-sync is specifically for a G-sync compliant monitor.

From reading around, screen lag of different types seems to be a problem with HDTV and flat panel monitors used to display games. I started hitting planes again using the 37mm manned gun. From the cruiser in sea mode, lining the horizontal yellow hash bar up to the water line of ships didn't cause the ship to have a slow constant micro blur movement that kept me about 100 yards off with my aim.

As for rubber bullets, some players no matter the map seem to have a router between them and Texas that wants them to not get shot down. All I know is last night with adaptive sync, I was having more success even with that router helping the con, pouring rounds in and seeing hits. If we were playing a first person shooter game like Halo, those impossible to kill players remind me of guys who would run a DOS storm on their PC to ghost and be untouchable until they turned off that localized DOS storm they usually had mapped to a hot key. I guess Hitech has a code function that accounts for DOS on the localhost COM port.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
Last night all of my squad mates who have changed to adaptive sync or fast-sync reported better outcomes in the game. I saw no funky chickening, strange warping and spinning by FW's, and everything I aimed at, I hit for a change. And I was hitting planes again with a wirbel. Haven't landed a 5 kill string since AH3 went live due to all of the weird lag and funky chickening issues. Last night I finally landed a 5 kill string.

I'm not sure what AMD's equivalent is, and my GTX760 menu only allows me adaptive sync with fast-sync grayed out. It might help if someone more up to date on how HDTV, high speed monitors and other displays are targeted by adaptive and fast-sync.

Oh and yes I disabled AH3 Vsync and the NVIDIA adaptive sync holds my FPS 59-60 with no tearing. NVIDIA recommends enabling Triple Buffering if you select adaptive or fast-sync. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing