Author Topic: Maps, Skins, Colors, Contrast with VR  (Read 416 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Maps, Skins, Colors, Contrast with VR
« on: April 30, 2017, 01:22:35 AM »
So HTC, Skuzzy I wondered if it would be OK to have a discussion about what the subject title says?

Part of the upgrade to AH3 was for VR. I do not know if intent was to slowly shift the gameplay to new tech to draw more clients, to just provide another display form, either way you did. So............

I am not being critcal, not my intent. I have now flown the rift on several different maps. Now I'm sure you all have used one as well and know the limitations, so I will just list a few observations.

Dark time, RIFT is already dim with minimal contrast. Impossible to see anything.
MAPS, there is a lack of color consistancy, lights, darks, sun, between different maps. As you know, Brilliance and HUE are all we can use. If you optimize these for 1 map, its bad news for another.

I also have this opinion. Things are, dim, theres a lattice work hovering, things jimmy and oscillate. If possible I would set the background terrains, trees, non-objects to use the limited color palette colorings, blacks and whites. ie:nvidia setting I would use the full range color palette for objects, enemies, cockpits. I mean anything to combat things fading into a blurr at 2.5K. Black is achieved by turning the pixel off, the rift is creating depth of field by varying specific pixel intensity. All those half lit pixels, natural black areas, shadowing, all that blends to nothing. No edges no defined shapes just......................... .

I guess what I am saying is that if VR is the goal, you want it to grow, do not be waiting on HMD's to get better soon. I feel maps and the like will need to consider VR when produced. And I am not talking about the 3D nature, I'm talking colors, how you paint the maps, the skins, the scenes. The right paint job can help in this. Simpler color bases, less mottling, sharper lining.

Not a simple task, or really a fair request but the dam HMD's change the gameplay a lot, I like it, but I also value my eyes. I cannot play for extended periods because of the massive eye strain.

Maybe others have observations to explain how there eyes are reacting too, AH close up and personal.
 :salute

ps: I only game AH, not interested in any other, so I ask prolly more than I should, but I only game AH,..............................
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64