Author Topic: Why can't you make pretty mountains everywhere?  (Read 3173 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why can't you make pretty mountains everywhere?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
When the time comes that I want to build the real world, I'll use Artik's program. Artik's program cannot create my worlds. I can create my worlds as well as Artik's program reproduces the real world, especially now that I've had a personal up close encounter with how it resolves the polygon mesh for the 12,000ft New Guinea range.

What is your beef with how I choose to create my worlds?

This is like when I restored Japanese swords and antiquities for a living in the 80's. My handle wrapping work was being sold to Japanese collectors by my agent because I learned the 5 primary styles. I made shira saya for a Japanese sword polisher in San Francisco and I did restoration on pieces that are in the SF Museum of fine arts collection. I used traditional methods because that was what collectors paid my agent for. I was once asked by a sword school in San Diego to give a seminar to it's students on making and repairing saya(sword scabbards) since it was one of the commonly damaged or in need of repair items for an Iaido student.

When I pulled out my tools and started showing traditional methods, several of the students lead by one who worked as a carpenter said they didn't have the time or interest in my traditional methods. The carpenter was convinced he could use his power tools to duplicate my work. So they missed the part where I explained why part of the in-letting carving of the two scabbard halves was performed in a specific way. And why the mouth of the scabbard was tuned, yes tuned to the specific sword that would reside in it.

If Artik will add to his program the ability to see the pulled in topo map as a 3D project space like L3DT, select parts of it, highlight, copy, cut,  paste, rotate, clone, and recombine into a custom arena format, sure I'll use it to create my worlds. I can already do that directly with any heightmap file, it will cause you to go blind trying to pick features out of shades of charcoal. I doubt Nat or Kanth has even tried that method to create an MA terrain. I manually created a heigthmap file to lay in the foundation of my custom world. I mentioned that in my documentation, or, did any of you bother to read that before jumping in here??

Once more, what is your beef with how I create my worlds, and my reason for creating this post in the first place? Are you going to force every single player to use only Artik's program from here on out?? And how will you force them to do that, and me to stop documenting the Michelangelo method of custom world terrain building??

There is no other purpose to hopping in here to show me Artik's program otherwise. Artik's program will be done a higher honor with it's own in depth documentation post with screen shots of a terrain being constructed. Or Kanth can do a film monologue over the months an MA terrain takes. All this has accomplished is created a controversy and given Nat something to troll with and confuse people who have no idea of the two schools of terrain creation. Or when and how either is applied.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 03:27:59 PM »
What I was asking is why does the ground need three-fold symmetry as opposed to just the field layout.  For example the Mindanao (not sure if that's what it's called) terrain has no symmetry and it's in the MA.  I wasn't complaining about your terrain building technique, I was just asking why you couldn't make it easier on yourself.  It's clear we are on different wavelengths so I'll shut up now.

this new guinea map sounds like a winner!  :aok

even got a name for it, New Guinea.

:salute

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 04:37:32 PM »

See this was his whole purpose, sow confusion and stir the pot. Not create custom MA terrains which Artik's application cannot do, so you have to customize by hand.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »
this new guinea map sounds like a winner!  :aok

even got a name for it, New Guinea.

:salute

By the way Nat, now that you have exposed your agenda, and why you were driven to try and knee cap my post. How do you propose to force me to build your MA terrain? I seem to remember another go around where everyone was trying to knee cap me over my choices of terrain creation back when I posted bits about BowlMA. There was an angry minority that wanted only real world maps used for the MA or else. None of them ever explained what the "else" was going to be.....

Artik's program does not allow custom work. I'm doing custom work. I like doing custom work because it is my work. Not NatCigg's terrain or Artik's terrain or 715's or Kanth's. The terrain editor is very simple to use.

Nat, why don't you build your own MA terrain and show me how you think it's supposed to be done?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »
here you go buster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NJbRF4CgAA

See this was his whole purpose, sow confusion and stir the pot..top eht rits dna noisufnoc wos ,esoprup elohw sih saw siht eeS

"Why can't you make pretty mountains everywhere?"  not sure if its a troll or look at me thread but i see its time to go.  :old:

:airplane:

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »
Guys,

FYI, if you feel like you need some feature from my terrain generation program - please drop a message or an e-mail to me. Or write it there.

If it can help and it is feasible I can implement one.

Artik
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
...A How to documentation of Artik's program should be undertaken...

Note: there is lots of stuff there: http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Terrain_Generation_From_Geographical_Data

Feel free to edit the wiki page and improve the docs.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 08:32:59 PM »
There is no other purpose to hopping in here to show me Artik's program otherwise. Artik's program will be done a higher honor with it's own in depth documentation post with screen shots of a terrain being constructed. Or Kanth can do a film monologue over the months an MA terrain takes.

You know I did a tutorial for Artik's Terrain Generator right??

I've posted that before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2sHojjRGQ

should be good enough to get anyone started.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

I've posted that before.

Wow...

First of all great job.

Few important notes regarding the tutorial:

1. The terrain size in config.ini should match the terrain size in the editor. Otherwise there will be mismatch between the CBM and the terrain
2. The tile set in the config.ini should match the tile set in the editor - otherwise the mapping between real world data and the atlas will be incorrect.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »

I've posted that before.

Wow is right!  Excellent job Kanth.  You are truly an asset in this fine game.

Kanth is my friend :)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 10:00:23 PM »
Is there any chance Skuzzy can sticky Kant's tutorial?

My long hand version of the Michelangelo method of sculpting a terrain is just to give someone things to look at and think about from inside of the terrain editor which might inspire them to go for a terrain of their own. I'll always send any questions to Easyscor or Artik's app to Artik or Kanth.

I think mostly I confuse people when I write about it in long hand.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing