Author Topic: flip flopping  (Read 783 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
flip flopping
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »
What is going on here?  Some physics defying instant directional changes makes this guy nearly impossible to hit. 

Something wrong with the code?  My aim lately has been good but this felt like trying to hit an agent in the matrix.  :headscratch:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: flip flopping
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
Before I change default v-sync to adaptive sync that P51 would have been doing the extreme funky chicken twirl snap and flip. After I turned off the game's v-sync and enabled NVIDIA adaptive sync, that P51 is performing what passes for ACM these days when caught low and slow with no options. Pumping his nose into red outs side to side makes him impossible to hit from as close as you were.

Being in a C202, you are in a BB monster plinking at that P51. If you were in the C205, you would have shot him down, unfortunately after expending all of your 20mm. Under the same circumstances in a spit8, I use up most of my 240 20mm. And like your film, if the gyrogastic maneuvering con is at 400, I can land rounds and put an end to it. Your BB monster guns were not helping you.

There is something with 200yds and doing the gyrating funky chicken dance that makes your plane impervious to getting hit. Did you try riding in your P51D's cockpit to view his maneuvering from that perspective. He was simply jacking the nose up and down while rolling side to side. If you had more green guys with you, usually their rounds over your shoulder puts an end the the gyrating con because at best one is 400 from the con while you are 200 or closer and missing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Before I change default v-sync to adaptive sync that P51 would have been doing the extreme funky chicken twirl snap and flip. After I turned off the game's v-sync and enabled NVIDIA adaptive sync, that P51 is performing what passes for ACM these days when caught low and slow with no options. Pumping his nose into red outs side to side makes him impossible to hit from as close as you were.

Being in a C202, you are in a BB monster plinking at that P51. If you were in the C205, you would have shot him down, unfortunately after expending all of your 20mm. Under the same circumstances in a spit8, I use up most of my 240 20mm. And like your film, if the gyrogastic maneuvering con is at 400, I can land rounds and put an end to it. Your BB monster guns were not helping you.

There is something with 200yds and doing the gyrating funky chicken dance that makes your plane impervious to getting hit. Did you try riding in your P51D's cockpit to view his maneuvering from that perspective. He was simply jacking the nose up and down while rolling side to side. If you had more green guys with you, usually their rounds over your shoulder puts an end the the gyrating con because at best one is 400 from the con while you are 200 or closer and missing.

Haven't run into a flip flopper yet, so not 100% sure - but your fix seemed to eliminate the problem.  Thanks! :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:40:00 PM by caldera »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:54:05 PM »
Guess I spoke too soon.  Ran into the same guy again and he did the same thing.   :bhead

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »
Guess I spoke too soon.  Ran into the same guy again and he did the same thing.   :bhead

Tried it myself, doesn't work.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
Someone teach me how to do that.   I want to flip flop out of the way.   :x
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Someone teach me how to do that.   I want to flip flop out of the way.   :x

Just pick your joystick off the desk by its base and give it a shake. They'll fly right by...
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
hmmm, that's what I always thought was Stick Stirring.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76