Author Topic: An Open Discussion About Skin Slots and Outdated Skins - What Next?  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: An Open Discussion About Skin Slots and Outdated Skins - What Next?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 10:11:23 AM »
I am not in a big rush to delete skins.  It is a low priority.  Getting the orphan adoption process going is higher on the list, at the moment.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
I am not in a big rush to delete skins.  It is a low priority.  Getting the orphan adoption process going is higher on the list, at the moment.

Sigh....

:uhoh

Can you pick two you hate and get rid of them?  Or can we vote on it?   Lol  :D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:17:07 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:17 AM »
No.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 10:38:08 AM »
That settles that. 

You're not doing yourself any favors in my opinion.

:salute

Will be standing by I guess...  :( :cry
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:40:20 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »
That settles that. 

You're not doing yourself any favors in my opinion.

Will be standing by...I think.  :( :cry

No offense, but your opinion is based on a very small percentage of the overall picture.  Just FYI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »
No offense, but your opinion is based on a very small percentage of the overall picture.  Just FYI.

I completely understand that.  I never assume I have the big picture.   

Again, no offense taken.   We are all adults here and can debate things without it being personal.    :cheers:

I hate to admit it though, but skinning is the main reason I am here.    It has become even more fun than playing for some reason.   I really am addicted to it.  I hate that I can't get these skins in now that I am finally starting to understand what the heck I am doing, especially with the condition some of the current ones are in due to age.  Guess I will have to be happy with updating what I've got for the time being.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:34:37 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »
I completely understand that.  I never assume I have the big picture.   

Again, no offense taken.   We are all adults here and can debate things without it being personal.    :cheers:

I hate to admit it though, but skinning is the main reason I am here.    It has become even more fun than playing for some reason.   I really am addicted to it.  I hate that I can't get these skins in now that I am finally starting to understand what the heck I am doing, especially with the condition some of the current ones are in due to age.  Guess I will have to be happy with updating what I've got for the time being.

Now that your skinning ability is coming along nicely, why not pass the time skinning one of the many other planes we have?  You don't have to fly them but others will appreciate your work.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 02:45:18 PM »
Now that your skinning ability is coming along nicely, why not pass the time skinning one of the many other planes we have?  You don't have to fly them but others will appreciate your work.

+1  A6M3, A6M5, KI-61, B-17G, Lancaster, etc etc etc
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »

I will consider it.  Not sure my heart's in it for another FM, but then again, once I start on something new I'll probably be hooked--again.    :salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 12:43:09 AM »
+1  A6M3, A6M5, KI-61, B-17G, Lancaster, etc etc etc

I will consider it. 

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »

This is what I'm trying to say. You got talent man. But you are severally holding your self back by using only one FM. Branch out man. You got this!
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 12:49:52 AM »
This is what I'm trying to say. You got talent man. But you are severally holding your self back by using only one FM. Branch out man. You got this!

Thanks, Ace.   It's hard to feel like you make a difference if you aren't part of the elite group.  At least by sticking to one or two models maybe I carve out a small niche that people find worthwhile.   I had a guy compliment me the other day for doing the P-51Bs.   I was never expecting anyone to even notice much less care.

I dunno what to think of this whole thing.  I tend to be a perfectionist so..............the more skins I create the more I have to fix.   Then there's the whole 3D-shape version thing.  Are they AH1? AH2?  When will they be updated for AH3?   Maybe we should all wait on skins until they get their rendering model updated to the latest standard.

I saw Fencer's list..............

Are there any requests that are of use or in need?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2017, 04:33:57 AM »
How long has Kweassa been out of the game? My favourite Ki-84 skin is his. What does unadopted suggest, that's they'll eventually be let go?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2017, 04:41:53 AM »
Vraciu, the AH1 skins still in the game are the Ar 234, Me 163, Val, Kate, A-20G and Boston, F4F-4 and FM-2, Ki-67, Ju-88 and Tempest. These will likely be updated in the near future and are pretty dreadful shapes to skin anyway, lots of stretching, mirroring and distortion. So basically avoid these.

The AH3 shapes are the 110C and G, TBM, SBD-5 and Ki-61. These are all 2048 res and have the full set of effects files.

The rest are AH2 skins. These are 1024 res or 2048 for the big bombers. They don't have the issues of the AH1 stuff, little or no mirroring and stretching etc. The earliest AH2 shapes tend to be the most popular rides in the arena, the US and German fighters, the Spit series, the Ki-84 and the big US bombers. I expect these may well get updated next once all the AH1 shapes are all done.

Looking through the skins page there aren't many rides that are approaching full, most of the 109s, the 190A-5, the  Ki-84, the Spit V and IX, the B-17, 24 and 29. Most of these still have 6-12 slots. The P-47D-11 is the only one full apart from P-51s.

Some rides are kind of boring colour scheme-wise. For instance the Lancaster has essentially one colour scheme with the only variation in skins being nose art and squadron codes. I've found that apart from the USAAF early war aircraft tend to have more interesting and varied schemes than late war ones.

Some rides give you two or more shapes for one template. The P-47 shapes have a lot of similarities as do the Spits etc.

To a large extent its going to be a question of what floats you boat though. Post a few subjects you are interested in and I can tell you the pros and cons of them.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:43:56 AM by Greebo »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2017, 04:48:42 AM »
How long has Kweassa been out of the game? My favourite Ki-84 skin is his. What does unadopted suggest, that's they'll eventually be let go?

Skins by players who no longer have an AH account get put up for adoption after a while (a year IIRC). A current skinner can then adopt this skin and rework it to bring it up to AH3 standards. At some point HTC may delete those really old skins that are no longer considered up to scratch, i.e. those that lack things like normal or spec maps etc.