Author Topic: Pitch Ladder ...  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
Pitch Ladder ...
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:10:19 PM »
Just downloaded patch 3102, notes say "Pitch ladder now goes away when in a cloud."

Now, I'm not a fan of having a pitch ladder in a WWII fighter to begin with (so I turned mine off), but I can't think of a time when you might need one more than when in a cloud....which leads to my question: 

why no pitch ladder in a clouds?

Cheers!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline bigk29

• Copper Member
Re: Pitch Ladder ...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
Maybe, cos if your in a cloud, you cant see, so your forced to look at your dials !?
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. No surrender.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »
Maybe, cos if your in a cloud, you cant see, so your forced to look at your dials !?

He's got a point.  It does seem illogical for the pitch ladder to vanish in a cloud.

Had to laugh when I first went into a cloud bank in 3.1.  Without thinking at first, for the first time in my AH career I used my artificial horizon.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
The pitch ladder is to help with the added difficulty of knowing your attitude when in the vertical or high angles vs real life.

There are detriments to flying in a cloud, removing the pitch ladder then represents the real life fly by the gauges.

HiTech

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
Enter cloud.  Press "X".  Don't need no stinking pitch ladder or dials.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 05:35:03 PM »
Enter cloud.  Press "X".  Don't need no stinking pitch ladder or dials.

:rofl  :aok
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »
He's got a point.  It does seem illogical for the pitch ladder to vanish in a cloud.

Had to laugh when I first went into a cloud bank in 3.1.  Without thinking at first, for the first time in my AH career I used my artificial horizon.

Wiley.

It seems even more illogical to have one at all in a WWII fighter other than maybe offline or the TA.   Not sure what the reasoning is except perhaps to help with the learning curve.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:42:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:54:31 AM »
It seems even more illogical to have one at all in a WWII fighter other than maybe offline or the TA.   Not sure what the reasoning is except perhaps to help with the learning curve.

I get where you're coming from V but I'm sure you know that real life you get a lot more cues via peripheral vision than we do in the game.  With the exception of fight in or near clouds in R/L I never had an issue staying oriented --- in game I sometimes have to look around to figure out where the heck the horizon is. :)
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:09 AM »

I get where you're coming from V but I'm sure you know that real life you get a lot more cues via peripheral vision than we do in the game.  With the exception of fight in or near clouds in R/L I never had an issue staying oriented --- in game I sometimes have to look around to figure out where the heck the horizon is. :)

Surely there are enough cues in game?  How about looking left or right and when the horizon is 90 degrees to your wing you are pretty much vertical.  IMO the only time being 'exactly' vertical is in a rope situation and I know I am looing at my horizon / wing / enemy views.

I really thought the pitch ladder was introduced for testing rather than general gameplay.  I do not use it and believe it would not make a difference to my game style or skill level so do not care if it is there or not.  However, as V said, why do we have it in a WW2 based sim?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 05:57:31 AM »

I just naturally seem to know my orientation without a pitch ladder.   

I agree the visual cues are less than perfect compared to real life but this affects me more when trying to figure out where a bandit is in relation to me.   Some of the view angles look wrong to me no matter how long I play the game.   It's tough to get 3D out of a 2D platform obviously. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 07:13:17 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 05:58:48 AM »
Surely there are enough cues in game?  How about looking left or right and when the horizon is 90 degrees to your wing you are pretty much vertical.  IMO the only time being 'exactly' vertical is in a rope situation and I know I am looing at my horizon / wing / enemy views.

I really thought the pitch ladder was introduced for testing rather than general gameplay.  I do not use it and believe it would not make a difference to my game style or skill level so do not care if it is there or not.  However, as V said, why do we have it in a WW2 based sim?

I'm with you here.    When I am roping I look at my wing to check the vertical. 

Never had a need for a pitch ladder in here.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
Now, I'm not a fan of having a pitch ladder in a WWII fighter to begin with

Amen to that, Sir. My first reaction to seeing this was "Ugh..  Really?!", and immediately shut it off.  :huh
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
Thought I had morfed into a cross bred WWII fighter and an F-16 at first.  Using Track IR, I've never had trouble with my spatial orientation.  Might be useful to brand new players in the TA though.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
If I could just get a TD box to go with the Pitch ladder....that would be great.

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »
Reality vs. game has two sides of the same coin. While if you had the same peripheral vision in real life as in game this wouldn't be sufficient to get the medical required to fly a plane. On the other hand, being able to turn the head like what the coolie hat can do would qualify to present it at during a talent show on national TV.