Author Topic: RPS + perks in one proposal  (Read 11148 times)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: RPS + perks in one proposal
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
Show me one place where an RPS was a success and brought in many players.

I cannot show you in AH, because MA was never it to my knowledge.... but every other flight sim game is AvA, people are EXPECTING a WW2 game to be AvA, once they see that it's not, they just go away.

And gets crushed by the enemy guy who paid perks to fly his Spit IX.

What do you mean paid?  Everything would be as it is now, you would first need to fly to get enough perks.

The guy in the Spit IX flies ultraconservatively so he doesn't lose one of his 4 available Spit IX's, leading to all kinds of timid gameplay, encouraged by the system.

And Spit 1 player goes after him for the fat points !  This is great excitement to me.

Or logs because he doesn't want to grind with a crap plane to fly the one he wants to.

...Or logging.

So just make it when he logs, he looses the 1 plane out of the pool.

It's RPS.  It's just RPS with the added twist that if you're good enough you get to be in better gear than the guys that aren't, which isn't conducive to good gameplay.

As currently, you would be getting points for doing damage and other targets, so you don't have to be superman to get a better plane, maybe even we would see more players playing differently, to get points for more things.

This gives incentive for early and mid planes, currently there is very little, and this is only expanding on what is currently, so how it is not better gameplay?

You don't want the good players having the additional bonus of an equipment advantage over the worse players.

'worse' is a subjective term, because when players play long enough they get better. New players even in late war planes will perform poor.

Is it better to everyone fly late war plane?

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
Your 2nd type of player would simply quit playing until his favorite ride is available...or quit the game entirely. Very few of these one-uber-LateWar-plane-or-nothing players would fly old and slow planes for any reason, and I'm pretty sure they would not pay a full monthly subscription to fly their favorite plane for a few days each month.

And if they fly the one-uber-latewar-plane to 'own' other players..... wouldnt this give them even more incentive to have that  uber plane knowing that other playears are still in spit 1 ?  bigger chance for 'owning noobs'.

I can see suddenly the grin on those players faces.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
Ha! Good answer, and I would if in the back of my mind I wouldn't knew that I will be facing 90% late war planes.

You would still be facing 90% late war planes under your own proposed system.  Do you really think that the vast majority of players will forgo spending perks (most veteran players have enough to spend without problems) and wait until their ride of choice is available through the RPS?  The vast majority will ignore the RPS and just spend their perks to immediately unlock their plane.

It's about the sense of variety, you won't be eating the same type of 1 food untill your death, won't you ?

Players should be less concerned on what other people fly, it makes the game less frustrating that way.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »
You would still be facing 90% late war planes under your own proposed system.  Do you really think that the vast majority of players will forgo spending perks (most veteran players have enough to spend without problems) and wait until their ride of choice is available through the RPS?  The vast majority will ignore the RPS and just spend their perks to immediately unlock their plane.

But you first have to fly the early war plane to get the perks.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »
But you first have to fly the early war plane to get the perks.

I have over 100k perks, are you proposing that I have 17 years worth of perks erased?  I don't think so.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
I have over 100k perks, are you proposing that I have 17 years worth of perks erased?  I don't think so.

yes  :bolt:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »

Then your proposed system just lost one long time customer.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »
Ack-Ack,

You have worked in the computer gaming industry now for what, 20+ years, and have helped launch games onto Steam. How long do games survive when the owners decide their current game has to become a clone of all the attractive parts from the other games they are competing with to survive? This is what nuget is telling Hitech he needs to do to make AH3 successful in nuget's world.

If Hitech lost his mind and initiated a plane availability system, he would have to eliminate everyone's perk points they have earned over the last decade or longer to be fair to nuget, or we would still fly our favorite planes. I have a squad mate with 50,000 fighter perks, I think I had a drunk night and reduced mine to about 10,000. All of these ideas have an interesting side effect, the core membership with a decade or so of perks would probably cancel their subscriptions cleaning out most of the old veterans. They are almost the equivalent of an arena full of level bosses and overnight turn AH3 into a genX-Y haven by design or accident.

I wonder if during nuget's 2 week trial he got really scalped by all the hungry for kills old vets in our game?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »
WHAT? I was not gonna pile on until I saw you were absolutely crazy.  :rolleyes: -1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 01:19:53 PM »

current game has to become a clone of all the attractive parts from the other games they are competing with to survive? This is what nuget is telling Hitech he needs to do to make AH3 successful in nuget's world.

Bustr with all respect, AH would not become a clone, but the best WW2 semi-historical plane/vehicle combat game in the world, because there is no such a game currently.

he would have to eliminate everyone's perk points they have earned over the last decade or longer to be fair to nuget

Not to me but to all the new players who are just starting. Old players however could get something special for all the years of support.

I don't know currently how much perks are important to the old players..... but seeing you have over 50,000 which are not used, are they really that important?

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »
WHAT? I was not gonna pile on until I saw you were absolutely crazy.  :rolleyes: -1

Someone has to  :rock

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 01:35:04 PM »
Then your proposed system just lost one long time customer.

but wait untill you hear the news about the special goods for the long term customers...... :angel:

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 01:35:41 PM »

I see nothing of value anywhere in your proposal including the random numbers your are guessing at.

BTW, once again, what is your in-game name?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
If kappa drops in here and admits this is his troll...nuget have you ever played AH2 or AH3 even for a two week trial? This is beginning to remind me of 4chan.

This could more likely be a troll by gnat....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 01:39:44 PM »

BTW, once again, what is your in-game name?
Currently none as i'm waiting for AH to be on steam

even for a two week trial?

Yes I played the trial