Author Topic: RPS + perks in one proposal  (Read 11155 times)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
RPS + perks in one proposal
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »

Grinding for planes (which would likely cause a current player mass exodus) or grinding for cosmetics.  Personally I think it would rub the vast majority of longtime players wrong, although there aren't THAT many of them still around and it might bring in more than they'd lose.

That's why there needs to be a solution to satisfy many players.

There are people who want

1) All planes unlocked
2) RPS
3) Ability to fly their 'favourite plane'
4) Grind
5) No Grind

Combining all of these is not an easy task, because they contradict each other.
Just brainstorming, with this you have RPS + all planes unlocked (for purchase before the 'release date'). In Late war early and mid war planes could still be viable by having higher score to unlock the late war planes. The planes would be gradualy unlocking, but you can unlock later war plane or your 'favourite' plane if you accumulate enough cost points, and have a few uses of it if you die, if use all the 'uses' you have to accumulate points for it again, that is if the plane is not unlocked already by the current year.

This IMHO would work pretty well for game and balance shifting.  Early war player would gain a lot of points for hunting down a late war player, thus getting a lot of points for 'his' late war plane. On the other hand a late war player would had to be very cautious and think twice is it worth risking to fight a early war plane for low ammount of points risking his own plane ?

The stakes would make the game so much thrilling  :cool:

Anyone likes this idea?

The numbers are just a visual representation to get the point of the idea..... pay no attention to the numbers ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:49:16 AM by nugetx »

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: RPS + perks in one proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »
I like your enthusiasm...but

You pay...you have everything...if you suck but you pay...you have everything....if you are an ace pilot and you pay....you have everything...

If you want to unlock something, do the achievements...

I don't even think anyone has finished all the achievements...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »
You pay...you have everything...if you suck but you pay...you have everything....if you are an ace pilot and you pay....you have everything...

Yes and you still have everything, the point of this is to have players play the early and med war planes, so it doesn't get boring playing with and VS late war planes only.

Also i think it would add to the excitement of possibly meeting a late war plane and downing it and earning enough points to instantly jump to a later war plane yourself.

Or possible frustration loosing a late war plane to a early war plane, but it's part of the excitement.

It's the little things in the long run that make people stay..... if you constantly fight in a p51 vs p51 and nothing happens.... it gets boring after time, that's why people leave, there need to be a hook.

War Thunder has a hook in grinding, same with WoT, that's why so many people play there, but it's an ugly hook, because you don't have everything and it's locked out.

What I proposed is what i would consider an elegant hook, that treats every player fairly, because no matter if you are good or not, you have everything to fly with in the end.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:18:22 AM by nugetx »

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
-1. We had the early- and midwar arenas for that purposes, noone used them (to fight)
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:17:35 AM »
oh well  :rolleyes:. I could probably write also why no one used to fight at them, but i need a rest right now  :old:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:20:05 AM by nugetx »

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:30:42 AM »

Also i think it would add to the excitement of possibly meeting a late war plane and downing it and earning enough points to instantly jump to a later war plane yourself.

Then fly an early war plane or midwar plane...

It's the little things in the long run that make people stay..... if you constantly fight in a p51 vs p51 and nothing happens.... it gets boring after time, that's why people leave, there need to be a hook.

War Thunder has a hook in grinding, same with WoT, that's why so many people play there, but it's an ugly hook, because you don't have everything and it's locked out.

Don't fly a pony all the time and it wont get boring...

Also I know what my definition of "grinding" is and it has nothing to do with playing games ...if you want something to strive for do the achievements...as I said...I don't think anyone has finished them all...

CO   Anti-Horde

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »
Then fly an early war plane or midwar plane...

Ha! Good answer, and I would if in the back of my mind I wouldn't knew that I will be facing 90% late war planes.

It's about the sense of variety, you won't be eating the same type of 1 food untill your death, won't you ?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 09:37:31 AM by nugetx »

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:05:10 AM »
Ha! Good answer, and I would if in the back of my mind I wouldn't knew that I will be facing 90% late war planes.

It's about the sense of variety, you won't be eating the same type of 1 food untill your death, won't you ?

I normally don't fly the same plane more than 2 sorties in a row...I try make sure the game is exciting for me and my guys...By doing other stuff the game has to offer...

Nug...You should show up in the WWI arena or DA and play with us... Remember...Those arenas are free to play
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:38:33 AM »
I normally don't fly the same plane more than 2 sorties in a row...I try make sure the game is exciting for me and my guys...By doing other stuff the game has to offer...

Nug...You should show up in the WWI arena or DA and play with us... Remember...Those arenas are free to play

Ok but that's the players that play now....... those 500+ there were here before..... are not here anymore, for those or other various reasons.
Online games live and die with their audience.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:40:38 AM by nugetx »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 11:55:16 AM »
Ok but that's the players that play now....... those 500+ there were here before..... are not here anymore, for those or other various reasons.
Online games live and die with their audience.

And... your conclusion is those guys would come back if there were an RPS?  :headscratch:

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:11:28 PM »
I like the OP trying original thinking.   It's this kind of discussion we need around here. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 12:14:36 PM »
I like the OP trying original thinking.   It's this kind of discussion we need around here.

"Original" does not automatically equate to "good idea".  RPS, limiting number of times you can up plane X, and perking more planes is not exactly original thinking either.  Those ideas have been brought up a couple times in the past.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
And... your conclusion is those guys would come back if there were an RPS?  :headscratch:

Wiley.

They would come back or new would come.

Lets say 500 players were here before..... 100 of them were RPS crowd........ 100 didn't get hooked or got bored.... 300 for other reasons.

So that's 200 people

The game currently caters to 1 type of players, I do not like this wording but it describes what is currently as 'air quake arena'

Look, how it would look with the proposed system:

It's 1939,  1 type of player who doesn't care about achievements or what plane to fly, takes a spit I and flies,  2nd type of player who wants his favourite plane, also takes a early war plane to get enough points for his 'favourite plane'.
3rd type of player who wants the sense of achievement does the same, not because he wants a specific plane, he wants to feel 'moving up the ladder'.
So that's 3 type of players serviced compared to 1.
Everyone in the meantime is using early and mid war planes...... changing the balance of late planes which are currently used in 90% to about 20-30% overall. Once the years move forward the ratio naturaly changes, because as the years move forward, the 1st type of player flies the planes of the current year,  2nd type of player has his favourite plane unlocked by default and 3rd type of player still goes for the most advanced plane.

So it's not 'only' RPS,  it's the next generation of RPS lol.

Add to that a realistic map and axis vs allies and the 4th type of crowd comes back - those that want the game to be more realistic.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:25:39 PM by nugetx »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »
They would come back or new would come.

Lets say 500 players were here before..... 100 of them were RPS crowd........ 100 didn't get hooked or got bored.... 300 for other reasons.

So that's 200 people

That's some pretty cool unsubstantiated wishful thinking.  Show me one place where an RPS was a success and brought in many players.

The game currently caters to 1 type of players, I do not like this wording but it describes what is currently as 'air quake arena'

Look, how it would look with the proposed system:

It's 1939,  1 type of player who doesn't care about achievements or what plane to fly, takes a spit I and flies,

And gets crushed by the enemy guy who paid perks to fly his Spit IX.  The guy in the Spit IX flies ultraconservatively so he doesn't lose one of his 4 available Spit IX's, leading to all kinds of timid gameplay, encouraged by the system.

2nd type of player who wants his favourite plane, also takes a early war plane to get enough points for his 'favourite plane'.

...Or logs because he doesn't want to grind with a crap plane to fly the one he wants to.

3rd type of player who wants the sense of achievement does the same, not because he wants a specific plane, he wants to feel 'moving up the ladder'.
So that's 3 type of players serviced compared to 1.
Everyone in the meantime is using early and mid war planes......

...Or logging.

changing the balance of late planes which are currently used in 90% to about 20-30% overall. Once the years move forward the ratio naturaly changes, because as the years move forward, the 1st type of player flies the planes of the current year,  2nd type of player has his favourite plane unlocked by default and 3rd type of player still goes for the most advanced plane.

So it's not 'only' RPS,  it's the next generation of RPS lol.

It's RPS.  It's just RPS with the added twist that if you're good enough you get to be in better gear than the guys that aren't, which isn't conducive to good gameplay.  You don't want the good players having the additional bonus of an equipment advantage over the worse players.

This is not air quake.  This is air Planetside 2.  War Thunder is air quake.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
Your 2nd type of player would simply quit playing until his favorite ride is available...or quit the game entirely. Very few of these one-uber-LateWar-plane-or-nothing players would fly old and slow planes for any reason, and I'm pretty sure they would not pay a full monthly subscription to fly their favorite plane for a few days each month.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals