Author Topic: Ping Time vs Bandwidth?  (Read 4761 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Ping Time vs Bandwidth?
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »
They have to be doing it on purpose as the stack they start with (FreeBSD) is a really good stack.  Makes no sense to me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »
I hate apple - they do stupid stuff to their network stack. Like they leak multicast/broadcast traffic across interfaces. For example if you have an iphone on your wireless network, you will see multi/broadcast traffic sourced from it's 4G IP hitting your internal wifi.

Thanks for that piece of information. That would explain some issues I've been asked about. Not too long ago a neighbour was worrying about potential unwanted users in their wireless network. A little later he told it was his iPhone, mystery solved. As a teacher of game making he should be somewhat computer and smart phone/tablet savvy... Such things make me think about the "wolf, wolf!" tale.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 02:50:31 AM »
Thanks for that piece of information. That would explain some issues I've been asked about. Not too long ago a neighbour was worrying about potential unwanted users in their wireless network. A little later he told it was his iPhone, mystery solved. As a teacher of game making he should be somewhat computer and smart phone/tablet savvy... Such things make me think about the "wolf, wolf!" tale.

To be fair is it is often reported as IP Spoofed traffic - that is to say traffic coming from an IP address inside your network that should not be there. Enough to give any firewall admin the heebeejeebees. The give away is the destination is usually a multicast address.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
I hate apple - they do stupid stuff to their network stack. Like they leak multicast/broadcast traffic across interfaces. For example if you have an iphone on your wireless network, you will see multi/broadcast traffic sourced from it's 4G IP hitting your internal wifi.

Ahhh.........

Now I know why I've been seeing these spikes in our Internet traffic patterns........

Got as many as 4-6 iPhones along w\ a couple of iPads connected to our WiFi network...................

Never dawned on me..................

Thanks!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd