Author Topic: An Observation  (Read 550 times)

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
An Observation
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
I took a year off (heart problems), and now that things have settled I am getting back into it albeit at a reduced level of stress and involvement. I asked for some assistance in getting some alterations in the offline arena and was met with helpful and succinct replies which were of great benefit.

So after a few years on and a year off I can offer an opinion for it's worth,

The first is there is no comprehensive source of information. It's all really trial and error and word of mouth. The game really has leaped forward of the documentation, which is a pity. The steep learning curve got steeper as a result. If a move into Steam is being pursued, this will not assist. There's always the kid that learned to swim by being dropped in the pool. There's also others who got out and were afraid of water from then on. And I'm coming from years of experience and a desire to re-enter. Pity help the newcomer.

I took a health break for a year and I'm not sure if my attitude has altered as a result of being faced with mortality or other circumstances have changed, but the community in general seems to be a lot more amiable now. There's always the "characters", but they seem to have either mellowed or moved on. The worst offenders have moved on thankfully.

Perhaps the game and the it's inhabitants have had a "wake up call".

Keep well <S>.
The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: An Observation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »
The steep learning curve got steeper as a result.

I've been back for a little while now, and I will agree with this, but I'm not deterred. My only complaint (and I really don't complain much), is that certain visual aspects seem muich harder on the old eyeballs when spotting targets and opponents in the air or the (bleached) ground. Really having a time of it adjusting, unlike when I was in my 30's, first subscribing in '04. Strats, of all things...   Strats  :frown:..  Having a hell of a time spotting them in my favorite past time of heavy bombing.

I really love the game and the community. Just trying to get used to it without getting a headache and discouraged.  :frown:
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »
Yes, the ground and its objects are now harder to see from a distance. The port does not seem to show up until below 7k agl. The buildings do this weird "SPROING!!!" thing whereby if you zoom they are there if you don't they are not. Supposed to be more realistic but I think it is a fail as it calls attention to the fact you are in a computer airplane.

Otherwise I am very impressed by the improvement in frame rate that has happened since AH3 was first released.
Pies not kicks.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:25:41 AM »
There's always the "characters", but they seem to have either mellowed or moved on

Old age makes people softer  :old:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:55:14 AM »
I took a year off (heart problems), and now that things have settled I am getting back into it albeit at a reduced level of stress and involvement. I asked for some assistance in getting some alterations in the offline arena and was met with helpful and succinct replies which were of great benefit.

The first is there is no comprehensive source of information. It's all really trial and error and word of mouth. The game really has leaped forward of the documentation, which is a pity. The steep learning curve got steeper as a result. If a move into Steam is being pursued, this will not assist. There's always the kid that learned to swim by being dropped in the pool. There's also others who got out and were afraid of water from then on. And I'm coming from years of experience and a desire to re-enter. Pity help the newcomer.

I took a health break for a year and I'm not sure if my attitude has altered as a result of being faced with mortality or other circumstances have changed, but the community in general seems to be a lot more amiable now. There's always the "characters", but they seem to have either mellowed or moved on. The worst offenders have moved on thankfully.

Keep well <S>.
Guess you haven't been back very long? Wait until you shoot down the guy with a bird fetish, as to his call sign. Seems to me, that he is one of only a few to keep up that sort of Bovine Stool . I am just hoping, that if we do get an influx of new players that BS wont keep them away. It bothers me not, but it SURE COULD bother potential players that haven't been aware of this type of duecebagary. Its already happened with some I know gave AH a chance. Why take the verbal abuse, when you can just quit and get the same from your Mother (was my ex's youngest son). He really loved this game and was a natural. But instead of feeling good, that he shot down a few of better long time sticks he got demeaned and railed against. So I know for a fact that that sort of BS CAN run folk off. And that would chafe my arse a bit more. The whole idea of going to steam and possibly generating new players wont work if some get run off. By causing that out come, what if he tells all his buds  not to even go there for free trials? Right, potential wasted!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
You know I flew AH 1 and 2 for most of a decade in two periods.  During that time I saw my fair share of the type of player you're speaking of but never reported a single user.  No more of that for me.  I don't pay to be the recipient of that kind of stuff so all I can say is that .report usedID is your friend.

I echo thndreggs' statement re: object visibility in clear weather.  You get a perfect calibration, seem to be lined up, then poof when buildings pop into view you have to turn hard enough to blow the calibration or end up with only two or so good targets in that run across the target.  WAYYY more difficult than previous versions.  Now cloud layers are being introduced that you cannot bomb through and you can't know whether or not they cover your intended target or not until you get there.  Seems kind of defeating to the bomber aspect of the game.

Yeah, yeah I know, in WW2 targets were sometimes occluded by weather fronts.  They also had weather intel to let them know the odds of good vis on target was low and not worth flying that day.  I could live with the cloud thing but the color contrast of targets is so washed out I'd hope that could improve just a little bit.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
Hey Zener, didn't you watch Memphis Belle? Ole Harry Connick just made em go back around until they hit the target!
  :neener: :bolt:
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »

Keep well <S>.

agreed +1 ive been here a long time and studyed harder for aces high than spelling class.  It took many hours to put together the "Manual" for this game, in my mind.  Ive printed documents and maps, read 3rd party (if its not all 3rd party) facts(?) and figures.  I put in the effort because i wanted to know what i was playing, and get better.  to this day i desire a official manual. I know the complete guide to aces high would have to be put together like the bible, but simple things like arena setup, how the game works, what are the rules.  Also, to have it updated! before the change goes live! 

not how to play the game, but what is the game?  we vets know how to find information.  I want to see paragraphs like.

Radar - A operational radar detects and reports enemy aircraft every 30 seconds.  Any plane below 65 ft cannot be identified by radar.  When destroyed, The radar will be out of service for 45 minutes, multiplied by 1.X minutes, with X being the percent of radar factory damage.

:salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
You know I flew AH 1 and 2 for most of a decade in two periods.  During that time I saw my fair share of the type of player you're speaking of but never reported a single user.  No more of that for me.  I don't pay to be the recipient of that kind of stuff so all I can say is that .report usedID is your friend.

I echo thndreggs' statement re: object visibility in clear weather.  You get a perfect calibration, seem to be lined up, then poof when buildings pop into view you have to turn hard enough to blow the calibration or end up with only two or so good targets in that run across the target.  WAYYY more difficult than previous versions.  Now cloud layers are being introduced that you cannot bomb through and you can't know whether or not they cover your intended target or not until you get there.  Seems kind of defeating to the bomber aspect of the game.

Yeah, yeah I know, in WW2 targets were sometimes occluded by weather fronts.  They also had weather intel to let them know the odds of good vis on target was low and not worth flying that day.  I could live with the cloud thing but the color contrast of targets is so washed out I'd hope that could improve just a little bit.

Seems more realistic. Pick a Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary target before you even take off.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »
Seems more realistic. Pick a Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary target before you even take off.

Exactly, thats why I could live with the cloudy thing.  It's the objects coming into view thats the tough part.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
agreed +1 ive been here a long time and studyed harder for aces high than spelling class.  It took many hours to put together the "Manual" for this game, in my mind.  Ive printed documents and maps, read 3rd party (if its not all 3rd party) facts(?) and figures.  I put in the effort because i wanted to know what i was playing, and get better.  to this day i desire a official manual. I know the complete guide to aces high would have to be put together like the bible, but simple things like arena setup, how the game works, what are the rules.  Also, to have it updated! before the change goes live! 

not how to play the game, but what is the game?  we vets know how to find information.  I want to see paragraphs like.

Radar - A operational radar detects and reports enemy aircraft every 30 seconds.  Any plane below 65 ft cannot be identified by radar.  When destroyed, The radar will be out of service for 45 minutes, multiplied by 1.X minutes, with X being the percent of radar factory damage.

:salute

To some extend I think this is part of the mystique of the  game.
part of the learning curve even..part of the oral history..clues and information   is out there and if you want it you can find it..its not given up on a platter though...you kinda got to dig for it.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:18:36 PM »
To some extend I think this is part of the mystique of the  game.
part of the learning curve even..part of the oral history..clues and information   is out there and if you want it you can find it..its not given up on a platter though...you kinda got to dig for it.

I have to disagree. It is a pita if you can't remember some detail or featurette and there is no where that you can find the answer except asking on the bbs or another player. It is not like there isn't any game documentation it is just incomplete and disorganized.

If you double tap U while in F6 it will correct the altitude without changing the speed calibration.
Pies not kicks.