Author Topic: Tree branches  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Tree branches
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
Tree branches still stop 10 ton tanks.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline iikie

• Zinc Member
Re: Tree branches
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
Yep, pretty stupid and very unrealistic. :mad:
Slaxer

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
I think maybe those lemons hanging on the tree have more mass than meets the eye.  Ten ton tank crashing into twenty tons of lemons...

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
As much as it is unrealistic and we HATE it...it's how the programming is set on certain tree types and the distance to the tree (or part of it i.e. branch) why it happens....not a bug.

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »
Well then, what is the point of having that distance set to value that hangs up vehicles in the trees?  I think it would work fine IF the branches did not hang so low that even in the driver position you cannot see what you are driving into.  It appears to be a few thin branches and as you go through them you find there are two trees set at a sharp angle in front of you that was not possible to see and line up for.

If the whole point is to delay gv approaches to a field or town, why not just move the spawn points instead of erecting a wall of "I can't see through" in the way?

Reading these forums I see a lot of players that have expressed dissatisfaction with how these trees "work," and haven't seen a single explanation of why the way it is is good for the game or enhances game play.  Can anyone provide one?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 02:08:12 AM »
I can somewhat understand the logic behind tank stopping trees: They effectively stop planes, too.

The easy solution would be to make all trees penetrable in the same way the flowers are. For tanks that would work to a degree, just drive through the trees. The problem is, how to make the same trees not to allow planes fly through them. That would allow hiding a bunch of C47's into the trees which definitely would add an unrealistic effect. Not to mention surface fighting and NOE attacks. Also, that would allow shooting through trees by simply pushing the barrel through, the rest of the tank being hidden. Talk about spawn point camping!

So holographic trees are not the solution here.

Another solution would be to have a scale of hardness for every type of object in the game. Thus a house wall should be harder than a tank, which should be harder than a tree, which should be harder than a plane. That would work if all objects had a simple "bubble" for damage modeling. However, there's variables like armour angle and thickness, speed and direction. Planes and tanks in AH have a realistic damage modelling, the strong and weak spots being as realistic as possible for a game. Thus it's possible to kill a tank with the 9 mm pistol of a bailed pilot by shooting the tank driver through the peeping gap.

Of course everything can be coded to simulate the real world. There's a reason why real pilot training simulators are beyond reach of the average cartoon pilots.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:22:39 AM »
I can somewhat understand the logic behind tank stopping trees: They effectively stop planes, too.

It seems that if the "stop radius" of the tree were reduced so that a tank could drive through the branches but be stopped by the trunk, planes would still be unable to fly between the trunks.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »
While I am frustrated with the tree "situation" also, there has been improvements since AH3 came out. Originally almost ANY plant would stop a tank, also the saturation of trees has been reduced. Just more needs to be done, I'm sure Hitech has it on his "to do" list. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
To change this, I would need a report with a .psave because i have no idea which tree you are referring to.

HiTech

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 01:54:22 PM »
To change this, I would need a report with a .psave because i have no idea which tree you are referring to.

HiTech

Got it, I will try to do some driving around tonight to get some info.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
as will I. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:46:55 PM »

HiTech

What is a .psave and how does one use it?  Are you wanting instances where we hang up on a branch or instances where we're forced to drive blindly through trees we can pass through and end up stuck in the trees we were unable to see?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 03:41:19 PM »
.psave is a dot command. It stands for Position Save

I dont remember where it save the data, in the game folder some place. Copy and paste the "position" data and paste it in this thread. Hitech can then go strait to that place on that terrain and see which tree is causing the issue.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »
The citrus branches are not as bad as they use to be.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 04:20:14 PM »
The only time I hit a tree, anymore, is when I am in M3 and just try to zip through. We have brakes  :uhoh It doesnt take much time to figure out where these trees, with stopping branches are and what they look like. Turn up tree detail, you can see them coming. Drive around one and there is another,all or most(except for the citrus hedges) have routes that move you around the trees. You cant drive through the citrus....why you still trying it :bhead  Just saying. I like tanking NOW, the trees stopped a lot of the 2 mile shooting, spawn campers. Yes this also makes it harder to spot said spawn campers(my first true love in AH) but its a give and take thing. Adapt, learn and over come. The trees dont move guys, come on... :old:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain