Author Topic: collision model  (Read 23898 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: collision model
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
Thank you Lusche, saved me some typing.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »
ok I get into a collision with another plane, in white letters in the text message screen it say so n so collided with me-his fault yet I go down he don't--another collision we collide in yellow letters it says I collided with so n so my fault I go down he don't. sometimes with a collide in white letter says he collided with me we both go down and same when he collides with me. in real life 2 planes collide both go down no wins no points.

...Ok.  That message is not your insurance adjuster.  It is not "fault" that is being described, it is whether a collision occurred on your end or his.  "Manguy collided with you" means your planes collided on his computer.  "You collided with Manguy" means your planes collided on your computer.  If you get both messages, it means your planes collided on both ends.

in the game my opinion is if 2 planes collide no matter who is at fault both planes should go down. no matter if bullets hit target, both go down no points no kills awarded.
I don't try or look to ram or collide with another plane, I will ho on purpose but not ram

Again, for the cheap seats, if you were in the P47 in the top picture in this post:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,387995.msg5156368.html#msg5156368

And that was what you saw, and your plane took damage, would you be ok with it?  Because that's exactly what you're asking for when you say "Both should go down".  The top picture is what was happening on the P47 guy's computer, the bottom picture is what was happening on the P51's computer.

Again, fault has nothing, repeat nothing to do with it.  This system is good because what you see on your end is what you get.  There are no "guy passed near me but didn't touch and I got a collision" problems.

The best part about it is, the faster communication gets the better the system will be because the discrepancy between where things are on both ends will be reduced as that speeds up.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »
Is there anything we can do to mitigate the 2nd one? Bettee internet connection or faster graphics card?
The floppy fish is a lot worse then the collision model for sure....you can't really get more accurate with collisions...yea sometimes it sucks but it's what it is.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
Thank you Lusche, saved me some typing.

I think he just "cuts and pastes" it from some document he has saved on his desktop...... He saves everything like   :devil

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
ok, so explain how I'm in auto climb went to get a pbj samich and milk, return 7 min later and as I sit down a p47 comes screaming in flys through me and I'm in auto climb straight and level, and "you have collided" appears in the text buffer.  my wing is missing and the 47 never fired a shot.  so I go down the 47 flys away to see him land 2 kills 5 min later and I ruin my pbj samich.  that does not make sense.  I get a lot of collides, never ever intentional except the c47 thing. is mine internet just that much faster?  or is it that much slower?  why is it fair that I am penalized if it is faster?  that collision was a true incident (except the samich) happened last Thursday night if I remember right.  maybe I don't grasp how this is working but I am sure I am not that bad of a flyer, also it takes more than one to collide.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
But again, the collision only occurs on your screen, the other guy never hit you. There is no way to intentionally collide with Another player since you never know what he sees on his screen.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
ok, so explain how I'm in auto climb went to get a pbj samich and milk, return 7 min later and as I sit down a p47 comes screaming in flys through me and I'm in auto climb straight and level, and "you have collided" appears in the text buffer.  my wing is missing and the 47 never fired a shot.  so I go down the 47 flys away to see him land 2 kills 5 min later and I ruin my pbj samich.  that does not make sense.  I get a lot of collides, never ever intentional except the c47 thing. is mine internet just that much faster?  or is it that much slower?  why is it fair that I am penalized if it is faster?  that collision was a true incident (except the samich) happened last Thursday night if I remember right.  maybe I don't grasp how this is working but I am sure I am not that bad of a flyer, also it takes more than one to collide.

Ok.  Simply put, any time two airplanes are within sight of each other in this game, there are actually 4 airplanes involved.

On your end, there is your computer's representation of your airplane, and there is your computer's representation of the other guy's airplane.

On his end, there is his computer's representation of his airplane, and there is his computer's representation of your airplane.

The locations of the other guy's plane on both ends is only approximate, and here's why:

Because of communication speed on the internet, there is a slight delay between where your computer has your airplane's location and where other peoples' computers last got your airplane's location information.  It's got nothing to do with whether you or he has faster internet speed, the only concern is the total amount of time it takes for the messages to go between your computer, the server, and then his computer.  The longer that total time is, the more difference between where your computer has your airplane, and where his computer has your airplane.

Generally speaking your plane on the other guy's end is a little behind where it is showing on your end, and vice versa.

As shown in Lusche's post, the P51's computer shows him colliding with the P47, the P47's computer shows him missing by a couple plane lengths.  On the P51's computer it registers a collision, because it happened.  On the P47's computer it does not register a collision because it missed by a couple of plane lengths.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
is mine internet just that much faster?  or is it that much slower?  why is it fair that I am penalized if it is faster?

Did you even read the explanation given the first time you asked about it?  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 05:29:29 PM »

Did you even read the explanation given the first time you asked about it?  :headscratch:

Some people will never be able to understand, no matter how many pictures, films and paragraphs are posted.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 05:58:08 PM »

What kind of bread were you using?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,387995.msg5156368.html#msg5156368

^^this is showing a collision from the rear-I and I think flippz are talking about head on collisions. most of you are getting hung up on the word fault. IF A GUY PURPOSELY FLYS INTO MY PLANE IT'S HIS/HER FAULT.

BUT from what it seems to sound like to me is you all are saying there is no collision at any time in the game that nobody collided with me, even though I see his plane hit me and I get the message that so n so collided with me.

I will just go back and play the game. and I will remember that when the next plane to collide with me that it didn't really happen, that it was my imagination.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 06:45:25 PM »

^^this is showing a collision from the rear-I and I think flippz are talking about head on collisions. most of you are getting hung up on the word fault. IF A GUY PURPOSELY FLYS INTO MY PLANE IT'S HIS/HER FAULT.

BUT from what it seems to sound like to me is you all are saying there is no collision at any time in the game that nobody collided with me, even though I see his plane hit me and I get the message that so n so collided with me.

I will just go back and play the game. and I will remember that when the next plane to collide with me that it didn't really happen, that it was my imagination.

If you collide when going head on and the other guy dont he probably pulled up right Before he was about to collide with you. You will of course see it as he smack right into your nose but on his screen he will miss you.

''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2017, 01:21:08 AM »
. most of you are getting hung up on the word fault. IF A GUY PURPOSELY FLYS INTO MY PLANE IT'S HIS/HER FAULT.

We get hung up because it has no place in the discussion about how the collision model technically works. As it leads people to wrong conclusions all the time. You can't win or lose collisions and the program totally doesn't care who did fly into whom.

That's not what we are saying.
You still seem to ignore that there are two different realities, one on your screen and one on the other players screen. This difference is caused by internet lag, i.e. the time signals need to travel between your both computers.

When you see a collision on your end, a collision happens to YOU. Damage gets applied to YOU.
If the enemy is seeing a collision on his screen too, damage gets applied to him.

The reason I posted the pictures is to illustrate how much different the same moment can look on both screens. The pony had a collision on his (and got damage, was an oil leak btw), the Thunderbolt had no collision happenening and thus got no damage at all.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:31:42 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 06:22:25 AM »
Stay in school, kiddos  :old:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2017, 07:16:28 AM »

You're missing the point.  Fights happen on at least 2 computers. You and the bandit. Collisions happen on one or both of the computers. When the collision happens on both computers you get the normal real world results you expect. When the collision only happens on one computer the results may seem wrong but they aren't.  That's why there are two collision messages, they aren't telling you who is at fault, the messages simply tell you which computer recorded a collision.