Author Topic: Rift Summer Sale!  (Read 2688 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Rift Summer Sale!
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:26:45 AM »
You can get the Rift and Touch controllers for $400 instead of the usual $600.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Rift Summer Sale!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:05:20 AM »
But it is next to useless in this game unless you use the hat switch to look around.  I find that very odd, get VR for the immersive aspect but you have to use the hat switch to make effective use of the views or you are essentially a victim.

I gave up on VR in here.  I think without further development around peripheral vision VR is a handicap in fighter combat sims.  Works very very well in anything that does not require easy access to views behind the 3-9 line.  Car racing for example, it is brilliant.  But to go from trackIR to VR in flight sims is IMO a step back.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
I have no problem at all looking behind me with either the Vive or the Oculus without using any keys or buttons.  I just turn my head and follow the target.  I find tracking targets is so much easier with the VR headsets.

Is it different from track IR?  Oh yeah, way different.  I do not get disoriented with a VR headset, like I do with track IR.  It is all what you are used to.  Flying, with a VR headset, is closer to what it is like flying a real plane than track IR is.

That said, I have seen all manner of opinions about the various interfaces.  I would say if you are investing in a VR headset and expect it to act like a TrackIR set, then you are wasting your money.  It is not going to act like that.  Never will.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:16:16 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
But it is next to useless in this game unless you use the hat switch to look around.  I find that very odd, get VR for the immersive aspect but you have to use the hat switch to make effective use of the views or you are essentially a victim.

I gave up on VR in here.  I think without further development around peripheral vision VR is a handicap in fighter combat sims.  Works very very well in anything that does not require easy access to views behind the 3-9 line.  Car racing for example, it is brilliant.  But to go from trackIR to VR in flight sims is IMO a step back.
The Rift works just fine without using my hats. I do use them to look quicker than I could by simply turning my head. (Some may call that cheating) :)

I'm with Skuzzy- target tracking with my VR headset is 10X easier than using my hat to track.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:03:58 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »

You find it odd that the technology is not as advanced as you'd like? I find that normal. I always want more advanced technology.  :D

The Rift is what we have now and it's awesome and amazing, not perfect, just awesome and amazing and 33% off the regular price.  :aok

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
Looks like I'm getting the Touch controlers after all.  :D

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »

:rofl  just don't let them near your Aces High, they will creepily show up and point at things when you aren't expecting it.   :devil

Looks like I'm getting the Touch controlers after all.  :D

:salute
Sik
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:40 PM »
:rofl  just don't let them near your Aces High, they will creepily show up and point at things when you aren't expecting it.   :devil
:confused: YEP! Like when you are trying to see the guy behind you AND YOUR HANDS are in the way! If you have used the Touch Controllers in a game they will show up in AH. Take batteries out....even if you put them under your desk they show up :mad: Ask me how I know :bhead Oh, right, I already did  :neener:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
The Touch controllers go into standby for a while then they turn off, just like the Rift remote controller. Mine hang 3 ft from a sensor and Oculus sees them as off.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »
Yep they will stop showing up after a while...until the cat comes...

Then there is a lot of finger pointing!

p.s. thanks for letting us know about the sale!
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:30:35 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 11:42:53 PM »
So tell me, does your head rotate 180 degrees in either direction? can you really swivel your head to see all the way in the back? I dare say not. No pilot can turn to see all the way in the rear. Using the hate to check 6 IS technically cheating because it allows us to do something that's not humanly possible.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 12:44:07 AM »
So tell me, does your head rotate 180 degrees in either direction? can you really swivel your head to see all the way in the back? I dare say not. No pilot can turn to see all the way in the rear. Using the hate to check 6 IS technically cheating because it allows us to do something that's not humanly possible.

This may help.   :aok

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:35 AM »
No, I do not expect VR to be like TrackIR.  However, my point is, as Copprhed has also articulated, the range of movement required to view behind in VR is 180 degrees because it lacks the peripheral vision aspect that we have in real life.  If I turn my head 90 degrees I can actually see behind me with peripheral vision.  With VR as it currently stands all I see is that 90 degrees.  TrackIR compensates for that with a sped up axis and I understand why that may not be an option with VR due to nausea.

With TrackIR I do not have to use view mapped buttons, with VR I believe in order to be competitive the use of view buttons is required.  There are several posts on this forum around that topic.

Thanks for your input Vulcan, I don't find personal insults are the best way to respond to a point of view.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 01:40:05 AM »
Ok, the FOV and the limitations of VR do create a challenge. Pretty sure that in real life the pilot had a bit more leeway in as far as he could move around the cockpit.than we have in game? Reason I say this, is because if pilots couldnt check their six(view to the rear) why would the "Bubble Canopy" add on to P51's have been such a game changer? I have started using a swivel chair to make up for the lack of movement in VR. It just makes it seem more real to me. Since we cant lean very far in either axis, it sort of makes up for it. I am not saying it has sme result as Hat switches, as its hard to swivel and keep your hands on the stick. Just seems to bridge the gap between (That could never happen- This is pretty close to real life) different set up preferences.  Oh, one more thing. Not trolling one bit, just curious as to why you feel hat switches kill the VR experience. Before TIR, that was all you had? You could get the exact same views then, as you do now. I agree that the realism may be diminished a bit with the hat switch being used but wasnt that already an established practice long before VR? Not judging, just curious. Thats why I like the swivel chair, you still have to really strain to get a "FULL" check six, but alot better since I cant lean forward as far as I would like and same with leaning to look around the tail. Makes up for lack of peripheral vision, at least for me.   
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:02:35 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain