Author Topic: Flame buffs and no kill  (Read 547 times)

Offline RODBUSTR

• Nickel Member
Flame buffs and no kill
« on: July 11, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »
   It happens from time to time.  Flame a bomber and fire goes out.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Flame buffs and no kill
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:31:45 AM »
   It happens from time to time.  Flame a bomber and fire goes out.

I think that can happen if you hit an almost empty fuel tank, fire goes out because there is no fuel left to burn.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 04:42:09 AM »
I think that can happen if you hit an almost empty fuel tank, fire goes out because there is no fuel left to burn.

Empty fuel tanks can burn just fine in AH. For example a fully drained ctr fuel tank in the B-29 when hit by AA fire.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:45:13 AM »
But can you ignite the fuel that is leaking from a fuel tank without igniting the fuel tank itself?
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:30:56 AM »
Not in AH.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »
I still suspect this happens when a leaking fuel tank is ignited and then runs out of fuel, Ive seen it a few times in bombers and it seems like it works that way. I guess you can reignite the fuel tank when its empty..

Online icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
I think your front end says "I flamed that airplane" to the server.

The server comes back with "no, you didn't" and the flames go out.

This is likely a packet loss issue.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
I still suspect this happens when a leaking fuel tank is ignited and then runs out of fuel, Ive seen it a few times in bombers and it seems like it works that way. I guess you can reignite the fuel tank when its empty..

I think there's just a (recent?) graphical bug with flames, if at all. Especially as in all the thousands of buff kills I made I have never seen anything like that, and it positively never happened to me in all of the bomber sorties I logged. If your tank burns, you're dead. And in AH, only the fuel tank itself can burn.

Offline serun

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
I have seen what Rodbustr is describing as well.  It does not happen that often but it does happen on occasion here lately. I suspect icepac is more on target as to the cause rather than leaking fuel.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:10:55 AM »
I think it does happen.  A couple of weeks ago, I was about to run out of gas in my 17s formation and an enemy fighter started my main plane on fire and I remember thinking that I was about to lose it.  The fire went out and I continued my descent without the loss of my plane.
"One-Eye"