Author Topic: Malware?  (Read 439 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Malware?
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
Recently I started receiving a notice that the security certificate for the site I was visiting was out of date.
It reached a point I couldn't open MSN without getting this notice.
I contacted Norton for help and was directed to a site that removed?  The malware and downloaded crypto prevent, C cleaner.  And installed Google chrome
My question is since this was from Norton are these legitimate sites.
A few days went by and I had visited clash daily.com, hot air .com and again I started receiving a notice that the security certificate was out of date.
Running the crypto prevent, c cleaner appears to have worked
I was charged almost $300 for the service and I really feel that I was screwed.  I was told that this wasn't a virus but was malware.
Is there a good malware program I can install or do I have something that's good enough? :headscratch:
Also I cannot reinstall gadgets its  says that I must get administrator permission. :headscratch:
AkCaine

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: Malware?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
I prefer Malwarebytes. Not sure about your problems though.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
Hmmm... The first thing I've learned to check when a security certificate claims to be out of date is to look at the time and date Windows shows. If they're showing a date from the past, the culprit may be as simple as a failing CMOS battery on the motherboard.

During these 12+ years in the household IT service business I haven't had to pay for a malware cleaning product to get the job done. There's legitimate free tools even for professional use. For what I've seen, online services can be extremely expensive. My charge is around €100 for the job done in my premises depending on how easy the cleaning is and how sloppy the owner has been concerning internet security. $300 sounds like a reputable big company - whose workers may have come right from school without any experience or dedicated education for malware cleaning.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:43:21 PM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »
How was you charged? Did Norton charge you that? Or did you have to willingly put your CC information in at the website the Norton Representative told you to go to?

If I was in your shoes and Norton sent me to a website like that, I would be disputing the charge and Norton's advice.... Tell the credit card company that Norton and the website took advantage of your wife or teenage daughter that was  not aware that they were being taken advantage of....

I myself like ESET Smart Security and Malwarebytes (free edition) and all the Malwarebytes extra goodies they offer like rkill, etc....

I would seriously  be cussing Norton out and disputing the charges....in the manner/way I posted above...

Just my view of your situation....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
It is doubtful Norton sent him to that site.  It is more likely the malware program did while disguised as Norton or hijacking a link.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
As for the problem of not being able to install gadgets...

If you are using Windows 7 OS, gadgets were disabled/removed by Microsoft, several years ago

If you are using a newer OS like Windows 10, most any program/software etc.... Should always be installed by a user account that has administrator privledges....

Hope this helps

TC

Edit: yes Sir, Skuzzy... That's what it sounds like, although in his post he says he contacted Norton. This was why I posted my view of how I would try and handle/fix it....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:38:02 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC