Author Topic: Dunkirk  (Read 9891 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Dunkirk
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »
took my dad to cinema for the first time in years he enjoyed it even if the sound effects were LOUD!

I give it 8/10,  Your right about the sloppy flying and shooting it was almost like flying WITHOUT a rudder!!    :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »
Rather curiously, I find myself wondering if those who did not care for the film went into the correct theater.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 10:28:44 PM »
took my dad to cinema for the first time in years he enjoyed it even if the sound effects were LOUD!

I give it 8/10,  Your right about the sloppy flying and shooting it was almost like flying WITHOUT a rudder!!    :D

Sound was incredible
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2017, 12:42:19 AM »
Well, it we also where trained to be fighter pilots then it would be different. But i still dont think the game would do that much difference, you are not going to be able to rope anyone irl.

True, but there are people here with deep and intimate knowledge of ACM and aerial combat theory. I'm not saying we could just jump into an F-15 and start kicking ass.

My point being that from my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, the experts here have quite a leg up in the theoretical field. And putting theory into practice is just a matter of practice, not learning and trying to incorporate new information into already learned and reinforced behavior.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2017, 04:29:43 AM »
The step from the cartoon world to the real is bigger than you think. A few in here would probably make it, but thats most likely those that already are real life pilots. As I said, what we do here does not automatically corresponds to the real world. I doubt that more than a few of us even have the physical strength to withstand more than a few minutes of combat. Flying like we do in the game is impossible unless you physical status is on an elite level.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2017, 05:10:54 AM »
A few in here would probably make it.

I can guarantee I would not be one of them. Couldn't fit into the seat, my fitness level is pathetic, some acrophobia and can't keep attention long enough to learn all those fancy buttons. One barrel roll and I'll puke for the rest of the day.  :rolleyes:
That's why I love the cartoon world, where even me can be a hero!  :banana:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »
True, but there are people here with deep and intimate knowledge of ACM and aerial combat theory. I'm not saying we could just jump into an F-15 and start kicking ass.

My point being that from my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience, the experts here have quite a leg up in the theoretical field. And putting theory into practice is just a matter of practice, not learning and trying to incorporate new information into already learned and reinforced behavior.

It is my contention that we would not do very well at all.  We do not fly with the stress of actually living or dying, nor do we have to deal with the effects high G's place upon the human body.  While we are flying this simulation, our clarity of though is unhampered with these stresses.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »
Cart before the horse behind. 

While fun to debate what may or may not happen in the air, we'd probably be safe in assuming that no one here is familiar with the engine start sequence in a Spitfire and, even if the process were taught, most of us would jam the prop into the dirt immediately after rolling a foot onto one of the wheel brakes on taxi. 

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2017, 01:02:55 PM »
Cart before the horse behind. 

While fun to debate what may or may not happen in the air, we'd probably be safe in assuming that no one here is familiar with the engine start sequence in a Spitfire and, even if the process were taught, most of us would jam the prop into the dirt immediately after rolling a foot onto one of the wheel brakes on taxi.

Look who the cat dragged in!!!!   Longtime no see!

:salute

PS: Looks like we could both launch the new F1 cars,antistall is your friend!!!! :devil

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
Can't be any harder than the start sequence for a super constellation.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
One thing that surprised me is how noisy the inside of the cockpit of the Spitfire was - a whole lotta rattling and shaking. I'm also assuming they're Spitfire I's... either way, throw in the heat and cold issues you have, wind leaks and the noise it creates, fumes that leak in from the engine, cramped quarters of a Spitfire cockpit (it's REAL tiny), and throw in regular life issues for 20 year olds - being hung over, constant constipation from flying G-turns, head colds, terrible uniforms for flying, gloves, dirty glasses, humidity in the cockpit, mechanical issues from mass production...

flying any WWII early war aircraft took more courage and then skill to overcome all the minute harrassments you face as a pilot and then put the stress that "SOME IS SHOOTING AT YOU TO KILL" in another airplane. Or - you just saw your best mate die in a flaming wreck, and you still have to press on with your mission.  Or - you downed a He-111 and saw the boys in her trying to bail out and some got out and others got killed...kind of things on your mind as a pilot.

Does any of that sound like a fun activity?   
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
throw in the heat and cold issues you have, wind leaks and the noise it creates, fumes that leak in from the engine, cramped quarters of a Spitfire cockpit (it's REAL tiny), and throw in regular life issues for 20 year olds

I remember reading a P-51 pilot's account of an extended turn fight he had with a German plane.  He was getting sick and ready to vomit, the G forces were pulling his oxygen mask down off his face, and his arms and legs were getting quivery from constant pushing on the stick and rudder pedals.  We face none of these real-life forces.

That said, we do learn useful things with these games.  When I flew Air Combat USA I was able to keep the pseudo-enemy plane in sight, which the real pilot found remarkable and which I would not have been able to do before HR taught me how, back in AW.

- oldman (OTOH, I was beginning to feel a bit queasy myself)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
  Look who the cat dragged in!!!!   Longtime no see!

PS: Looks like we could both launch the new F1 cars,antistall is your friend!!!! :devil

Don't even get me started.

I'll blow a blood vessel discussing what's wrong with F1; the sole exception being that Kimi still has a seat with the Scuderia.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2017, 12:28:30 AM »
Don't even get me started.

I'll blow a blood vessel discussing what's wrong with F1; the sole exception being that Kimi still has a seat with the Scuderia.

Hmmm why did I think that was the responce would get!   Couldnt agree more,now id Verstappen could keep a car running that atleast would be fun to see... :devil

Glad to see you around! :aok

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
Saw an early screening last night.  Excellent movie.

It's you sir subsequently I'll take your word for it.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute