Author Topic: Thinking of building a new rig  (Read 545 times)

Online FGBullet

• Copper Member
Thinking of building a new rig
« on: August 08, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »
I'm thinking of building a new machine with an I7 processor, 16gb memory, and using my current GTX 980 graphics card. I'd also like to get a better monitor.

I'm leaning toward going with 4k and possibly VR in the future. Can the graphics card handle 4k, or should I also go all out and get a new card as well?

Thanks,

FGBullet

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Thinking of building a new rig
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
A 980 will struggle to run 4K for most games I would think.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:34:13 AM »
It looks like you can't use "Ultra" settings in 4k with a GTX980 without sacrificing your frame rates beyond playable.

However, especially with smaller 4k monitors, you won't need Anti-Aliasing as the sawtooth effect is too small to be visible. Same goes for some other image improving gimmicks, so fiddling with the settings you might get another year or two before having to change the video card to a better one.

Also note that the quadruple amount of pixels in a 4k monitor means that the monitor should diagonally be double the size of your current monitor for a single pixel to be of the same size. If you can see the pixel grid on your current screen, a little less will make the image crisper.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:08:42 AM »
Do the upgrade with your current vid card, and try it out.  If it isn't good enough, get the new vid card and upgrade then.  No need to rush to toss out a previous generation anything until you're sure its your bottleneck holding you back.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Online FGBullet

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 05:49:38 AM »
Appreciate the info everyone.