Author Topic: observations  (Read 865 times)

Online 1stpar3

• Gold Member
observations
« on: July 27, 2017, 01:20:13 AM »
This is NOT a gripe post! Just wondering why tank shell tracers cant be seen with any amount of zoom employed. Especially while in VR. Its only a bother if you are in an "observer/gunner position. Makes it hard to pin point where enemy tank fire is coming from. I dont have that problem very often...but when I do...lol You guys have been Johnny on the spot with solutions in VR, such as making "hit sprites" more visible in VR. Just wanted to see if there was a way to do the same for tank fire? May be Wrong tab to ask this in, sorry about that, if it is!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: observations
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
I would like to know how to find a tank?

I flew some ten miles to check out a flashing v base.  I get there and I cant find the tank.  I can hear my base exploding with every shell, but no visual indication.  I know gvs are hard to find in this game so I drop down from 4k to under 1k.  I fly around over and over round and round, nothing.  I do notice the landing shells sound, does go away when im in a "certain" area.  surely the tank is playing games with me.  I fly around some more trying to figure out the puzzle.  eventually a friendly gv ups to camp the base.  I decide to fly away to a enemy airfield to find a mate to shoot, make it halfway there and bail out, mission over.

I could not see tracers, smoke , muzzle flash, or icon, ever.  Sound was limited to shells landing (did not try engine cut sound check).

Tough go at it and i wonder is this a setting that they can fire with no traces?  How do i find a tank w/o getting out and walking?  :headscratch:

Online 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 08:13:10 PM »
Its hard to see them, when engine off. Thats only time I have trouble finding them. Another problem I didnt address previously, It would be nice if Icon vis range was the same as engine on range...when they are shooting, especial the M4 rocket racks. The tank shells are only visible at certain angles, I have found. There really isnt a setting I know of, the engine off to hear only works if they are engine running. They are easy enough to spot then anyway, so I dont use it. I am not even absolutely certain that there are diffrent icon ranges for engine on or off. Just seems it is easier to see them when they are running :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:08:40 PM »
Yup, GVing is not as much fun as it was in AH2. I find the sound direction is much worst than it was in AH2. The icon range thing is a pain, more so now as we have about 7X the number of trees. The lack of tracer fire is another issue I have as well.

I found a plane parked in a grove of trees..... guess who? as I was dead stick trying to land. Even knowing a general area of where this plane was parked it took over 15 minutes of hunting to narrow the area down. Even so I got a friendly to spot him on his approach to the field and point out the grove of trees. Shot him down with my jeep.

I would like to get into the GV side of the game more, and was doing so toward the end of AH2, but now, its more frustrating than ever and just not worth the time.

I would love to see the icon ranges returned to what they were before. I'd love the tree population to drop another 20-30%, and I'd ove to get the directional sound back.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:21:03 AM »
I reckon frustration is part of the learning curve...its tough as old boots..but worth the strugle ..
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »
I am not 100% sure but I believe having the engine on or off has no effect on visual range.

I have ways I find GVs  in a plane but I am not telling.

A question for historians.  During WW2 was muzzle flash of tank cannon firing easy to see?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
I was up in a Storch yesterday and another Storch and I had located a Panzer and were harassing him with smoke marker grenades as he approached our town.  I could definitely see the muzzle flashes when he fired, however I don't know if I've see muzzle flashes from an other aircraft.

When I'm in a tank or GV taking fire from another GV I can never really tell where the fire is coming from.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
GV icon range with engine off = 600 yds. Engine on is = 2k iirc.

The only directional sound issue I have is wirbl, osti, m16 or any man gun (37mm or 50 cal.) I can never tell where they are shooting from, I find them by the tracers. They all sound like they are firing to my left, even if I turn 360 degrees. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
GV icon range with engine off = 600 yds. Engine on is = 2k iirc.

The only directional sound issue I have is wirbl, osti, m16 or any man gun (37mm or 50 cal.) I can never tell where they are shooting from, I find them by the tracers. They all sound like they are firing to my left, even if I turn 360 degrees. :headscratch:
Was referring to Air craft engine off to hear gvs :cheers: I find them all the time, regardless if the GVs are running or not. Running is preferable :devil
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:25:45 PM by 1stpar3 »

Offline nomad45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
remember that what you see and experience in oculus is completely tied to your computers ability to provide the required resolution and frame rate to build the detail in game.  I was having similar issues until I bought a super computer  :cool:
nomad

Online 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
Not the issue I have  :aok Its just the way zoom works in guns an gvs. You lose the rounds markers. Makes it hard to es where long range shots are coming from. The zoom from the air works the same, its just how VR is at the present. To me it seems the Binocular focus is set at a certain distance, and with in that distance it works great. HOWEVER, it seems when you zoom the focus point doesnt change. Like gun convergence type thing. Set at 200 and shoot at 400 the focus point is still 200 but you view is wider than the focus point? I know what I am saying, not sure how to explain it :uhoh

Offline nomad45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »
 :rock