Author Topic: Texture exports  (Read 670 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Texture exports
« on: July 27, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
I think I've posted part of this but it's part of the series.

From what I can tell, some of the texture exports do not follow the documented values.

The splat map is either manipulated for blending purpose, or some of the export values are changed in such a way the TE can still use them but they don't match the values expected after making changes. Again, it might be a programed feature to blend tiles but it leads to confusion and extra work when input isn't reflected in the output.

The exported textures for square objects don't follow the documentation with some grayscale values running from 0 to 11. Most grayscale texture values don't hit the 16, 32, 48... targets but the editors seem to select the closest match.

Exported textures for building and similar objects seem to work, but if they don't I won't see it anyway.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
Re: Texture exports
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
Was this ever fully explained?  I'm seeing the same issue.

Also:

The exported textures for square objects don't follow the documentation with some grayscale values running from 0 to 11. Most grayscale texture values don't hit the 16, 32, 48... targets but the editors seem to select the closest match.

What documentation are referring to?

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
What is the texture name and channel, My guess would be the channel is generated by the builder.

HiTech

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »
What is the texture name and channel, My guess would be the channel is generated by the builder.

HiTech

HiTech,

I have the LAF4x4m.ac file open in AC3D, with the background image showing.  I also have the LAF4x4m_A.bmp and LAF4x4m_CL.bmp bitmaps open.  I'm trying to create custom land objects that are consistent visually with what we see in the LAF4x4m object.  When I generate a fresh land object, and fresh alpha and clutter bitmaps, then import them to the Object Editor and try to place them, I don't end up with anything near what's showing in the original LAF4x4m object, as far as clutter goes and the level of alpha.

Also, there has to have been some method of laying down the textures of the dirt paths and beat up asphalt onto the polys of the LAF4x4m object, but I am lost on how that was done.  None of the detailed textures carry over when you export the LAF4x4m object into AC3D.  All you get is the 4096x4096 pixel background image.

Here's a good example of what I don't understand: every base and town has these tan colored dirt paths leading to the gun pits.  In the game, they are pretty detailed.  How are these textures laid down onto the polys, and with what texture file?  Same with the beat up asphalt, or the cobblestone street texture.  That can't come from just the 4096x4096 background image.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »
Thank you Dale!  Atlas extracted, with the source files.  I appreciate this immensely.