Author Topic: Skuzzy Help  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Skuzzy Help
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:30:43 PM »
Skuzzy, is there a way you can make the "Search" feature on the forum a bit more user friendly?  Things like showing the newest post first as default instead of old post. 

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Skuzzy Help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 02:41:52 AM »
I concur.

Typing the search phrase in the upper right slot is mostly useless, it takes forever to get an answer which often may even prove irrelevant. Clicking the Search button on the right of an empty slot seems counterintuitive. Even then it's not straightforward, you have to click the words "Advanced search" - where you actually can choose "Most recent topics first" in the dropdown menu among other parametres such as the poster and the date of the post.

But even that is not all! Click the bar below saying "Choose a board to search in, or search all" in the left for the most obvious forums. Notice that unlike the "Set Search Parameters" bar, here the text is written in black on a dark olive drab background for decreased contrast and visibility. After having done all of the above, click the tiny Search button in the far right corner of the search window.

Trying to find all the clickable things makes for good neck excercise if you have your browser set to full screen on a large monitor.

No wonder people keep asking the same things over and over again.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:50:52 AM »
Great idea!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 05:53:40 AM »
There is nothing we can do about the crippled default search feature of this board.  SMF did not design the search function with a board having over 4 million posts in it.

If you go to the advanced search and limit the time frame ("Message Age") of the search to the last couple of years, it works fine and will find what you want and it gives the option of how you want it presented.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:55:44 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:36:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I see the problem.

Please consider, if possible, a more visible way, that is, easier to find, the "Advanced Search".

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 06:54:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I see the problem.

Please consider, if possible, a more visible way, that is, easier to find, the "Advanced Search".

Unfortunately that's a SMF problem. The easiest way to get to the advanced search is to click the search button near your profile and messages, then click advanced search.

Changing the code on the forum is no problem, but good luck whenever a forum update is needed.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
There is nothing we can do about the crippled default search feature of this board.  SMF did not design the search function with a board having over 4 million posts in it.

If you go to the advanced search and limit the time frame ("Message Age") of the search to the last couple of years, it works fine and will find what you want and it gives the option of how you want it presented.

Been there; done that. The only time I've ever gotten the results I was looking for is when Jupiter was in the 7th house, and Mercury aligned with Mars.  :devil

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:05:48 AM »
One thing that Skuzzy forgot to tell you y'all is that you are not limited to just checking the picking the past several years to search.
If you want or need to search a certain time frame you can enter the amount of days SPAN by doing a little math work. Figure out what time frame you want to search between 0 days and 9,999 days (Note: that is approximately 27.39 years = 9,999 days) so searching 0 days to 1460 days = 4 years back .... 1460 to 2,920 = from 4 years back to 8 years back... So if you're searching and need to or want to search a certain time frame you can do it more quickly this way and even cover the posts from now back to the year 2000... I don't believe this message board covers 1999 when it was in Beta, because I have never been able to find my old posts from that time...

Outside of that, I personally have not had any problems with using the search engine of the message boards...

Hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
Been there; done that. The only time I've ever gotten the results I was looking for is when Jupiter was in the 7th house, and Mercury aligned with Mars.  :devil

That was the age of Aquarius.  It's over, take off your platform shoes MaX.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 12:18:30 PM »
Unfortunately that's a SMF problem. The easiest way to get to the advanced search is to click the search button near your profile and messages, then click advanced search.

Changing the code on the forum is no problem, but good luck whenever a forum update is needed.

And we have a winner.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »
And we have a winner.
DANG IT Skuzzy..I fly with this guy :uhoh Now the canopy will be so small, he wont be able to check his six.   I know BOSS, thats my job, but I aint gonna do it if all I hear is "Skuzzy said I won" :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
DANG IT Skuzzy..I fly with this guy :uhoh Now the canopy will be so small, he wont be able to check his six.   I know BOSS, thats my job, but I aint gonna do it if all I hear is "Skuzzy said I won" :x

Note that there's a winner for a jumbo price, too...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni