Author Topic: Formation Flying  (Read 5452 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Formation Flying
« on: August 05, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
Here are some tips if you struggle with formation.

Formation flying.

Good formation keeps everyone in positions of mutual support and increases situational awareness

Thrust settings.

The lead aircraft needs to reduce thrust so everyone else has extra thrust to use for holding position. If everyone else has reduced thrust for fuel conservation the lead needs to reduce a little more.

Power and RPM settings reported by the lead aircraft are just guides, all aircraft should use whatever power they need to stay in position.

Any pitch change changes your speed. Stay level after you climb to altitude and in turns to the target. Required pitch changes should be smooth.

Forming up.

Pulling power to slow down makes it difficult for everyone to match speeds, it's best to use geometry to form up.

When forming up a large group on take off the lead aircraft can circle the field so stragglers can cut across the turn circle to join up.

If you want to maintain a heading instead of circling you can fly flat S turns to let stragglers join you by flying straight on the desired heading.

An aircraft that drops behind can trade a little altitude for acceleration then fly in front of the group so when the straggler regains altitude and slows down he won't be behind again.

Combat spread.

Close formation is fun and it's easier to maneuver together in close formation but for fighter aircraft combat spread is better for imminent contact with the enemy.

When you go to combat spread it's harder to match the lead aircraft so the lead aircraft needs to state their heading and speed and report any heading and speed changes.

Combat spread is a distance that lets you clear your wingman's 6. Don't get too far away and don't be too close. I like to use max gun range as a guide.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:26:58 PM by FLS »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Formation Flying
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Here are some tips if you struggle with formation.

Formation flying.

Good formation keeps everyone in positions of mutual support and increases situational awareness

Thrust settings.

The lead aircraft needs to reduce thrust so everyone else has extra thrust to use for holding position. If everyone else has reduced thrust for fuel conservation the lead needs to reduce a little more.

Power and RPM settings reported by the lead aircraft are just guides, all aircraft should use whatever power they need to stay in position.

Any pitch change changes your speed. Stay level after you climb to altitude and in turns to the target. Required pitch changes should be smooth.

Forming up.

Pulling power to slow down makes it difficult for everyone to match speeds, it's best to use geometry to form up.

When forming up a large group on take off the lead aircraft can circle the field so stragglers can cut across the turn circle to join up.

If you want to maintain a heading instead of circling you can fly flat S turns to let stragglers join you by flying straight to you.

An aircraft that drops behind can trade a little altitude for acceleration then fly in front of the group so when the straggler regains altitude and slows down he won't be behind again.

Combat spread.

Close formation is fun and it's easier to maneuver together in close formation but combat spread is better for imminent contact with the enemy.

When you go to combat spread it's harder to match the lead aircraft so the lead aircraft needs to state their heading and speed and report any heading and speed changes.

Combat spread is a distance that lets you clear your wingman's 6. Don't get too far away and don't be too close. I like to use max gun range as a guide.

Good info FLS. 

A very common occurance for lead to takeoff with full power, hold it there, and climb straight out.  The next call on the radio is lead telling everyone to join up because the formation is strung out.  The ONLY solution is or those in trail to us WEP, if they are so equipped.  The result is excess fuel consumption for everyone in trail, resulting in less flying time except, of course, for the flight lead.  This common practice demonstrates a complete lack of wingman consideration.

From experience, an 800-1,000 spread is an effective spread distance which allows for good mutual check six coverage.  It allows for effective engagement with a bogie that jumps the other plane in formation.  Typically, any farther out of a spread will allow a bogie time to tap and kill the engaged fighter before the supporting fighter can get into lethal firing position.

For bombers, the tighter the formation spread the better.  This allows for more concentrated fire support against attacking fighters.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »
Good points. 

I should have specified combat spread is for fighters. 

Also a straggler catching a group flying flat S turns flies the desired heading not at the group.

Edited post for both points.   :salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »
Circling the field is certainly the best technique to get everyone formed up and settled into the enroute formation.  Even with this technique, the flight lead must climb at reduced power to allow a more expeditious rejoin by the rest of the flight.

Good to hear someone finally putting this technique out there.  It is seldom seen in practice.  :salute

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 10:21:20 PM »
Good stuff gents, thank you!   :aok   :salute

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 03:33:00 AM »
A common rookie mistake:
Do not follow your leader by flying directly behind him, especially not his low 6 position - he cant see you. Always keep a little sideways latteral separation. The rule of thumb is that you must be able to see his cockpit canopy.

I really hate it when people fly up my low 6...
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:12:53 AM »
A common rookie mistake:
Do not follow your leader by flying directly behind him, especially not his low 6 position - he cant see you. Always keep a little sideways latteral separation. The rule of thumb is that you must be able to see his cockpit canopy.

I really hate it when people fly up my low 6...

It will take more than being able to see your canopy for a wingman to provide effective six coverage for you.  If he/she is in a trail position able to see your canopy, you won't be able to clear their six.  The wingman in this case will be the sacrificial lamb when a bogie sneaks up from both of your deep sixes.  A line abreast formation is optimum for effective formation mutual support.   Hopefully, those flying at your low Six aren't at a power disadvantage.

Another frequent lack of wingmen consideration is in the descent back to base after a successful mission.  If the flight lead pulls power all the way to the idle stop, the wingman has no power advantage when he/she also pulls to the idle stop.  Without speed brakes in this situation, a wingman has no way of staying in position short of lowering landing gear or flaps.  Neither of which is an acceptable situation.  So, in the descent, the flight lead should pull power to a point somewhere short of the idle stop. This will allow wingman to pull off more power to prevent overrunning lead.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:15:29 AM by Puma44 »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
puma,
seeing the leader's canopy is just an indication that he should be able to see you, not that you are in the optimal position.
I was thinking about MA missions or special events when you get ad hoc wingmen. Inexperienced players tend to just follow you around and it drives me crazy that they hide under my tail.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
puma,
seeing the leader's canopy is just an indication that he should be able to see you, not that you are in the optimal position.
I was thinking about MA missions or special events when you get ad hoc wingmen. Inexperienced players tend to just follow you around and it drives me crazy that they hide under my tail.

They aren't hiding, that's just where newbies end up before they learn formation flying. It can also indicate the lead is using too much power.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
I should have said "hidden" not "hide".

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 12:09:36 PM »
I knew you weren't being literal, my point is the same.  Untrained pilots generally end up on your low 6. Adjustments by the lead pilot are helppful whether it's verbal instruction or power adjustments or both.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
They aren't hiding, that's just where newbies end up before they learn formation flying. It can also indicate the lead is using too much power.

If you have a second-in-command, it's a good idea for him to take the tail end position, so that he can watch the entire formation.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 04:43:25 PM »
puma,

Understand.  It was a bit unclear what you were describing.  So, default was the normal lead at full power stringing the "formation" out across the sector on the way to the target. 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

It's unfortunate that newbies learn formation flying by trial and error vs training in the effective way to do it.

The vast majority of the time, it's lead with full power set.  That scenario is seen every day with a string of aircraft heading to the target area.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »
The vast majority of the time, it's lead with full power set.  That scenario is seen every day with a string of aircraft heading to the target area.

hehe

A guy that taught me some about formation flying made me join without using power adjustments.  Of course lead has to cooperate and we were in airplanes with similar performance...good learning experience.

Another thing I see in game is lead flying at airspeed extremes, especially very low climb speeds.  Lead has to give wing some margin, if Lead is at the limit of aircraft envelope then wing is screwed.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"