Author Topic: Tree branches  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
Re: Tree branches
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »
Not sure where you get the idea I'm trying to drive through the citrus trees.  Those trees have branches that stick out from the main part of the tree and its been my experience that if you so much as brush them you'll come to a dead stop regardless of what kind of GV you're in.  Obviously I do drive around them but there are some sections where it's a very close shave between one of those trees and the trunk of another tree.

It sort of defeats the purpose if we're going to have to ride the brakes while transiting in a GV. 

I do use zoom and try to get in lanes that allow me to use the full speed of the vehicle.  The big issue I have is with SOME types of trees, the branches hang so low that no matter what position you view from, you cannot see past those branches, thus you have no way to know what's on the other side of them.  So you line up to avoid the trunks, blast through the low-hanging branch and end up stuck in the next set of trees you had no way to see.

But now that I know about the .psave thing I'll gather the info next time I run into that situation.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »
Had a couple in BowlMA

-596183,44,-8838,0.7,2.6,75.8
bowlma
FOV = 69.6

and

-145486,510,293255,-0.0,1.3,79.6
bowlma
FOV = 69.6

Hope this helps
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
Not sure where you get the idea I'm trying to drive through the citrus trees.  Those trees have branches that stick out from the main part of the tree and its been my experience that if you so much as brush them you'll come to a dead stop regardless of what kind of GV you're in.  Obviously I do drive around them but there are some sections where it's a very close shave between one of those trees and the trunk of another tree.

It sort of defeats the purpose if we're going to have to ride the brakes while transiting in a GV. 

I do use zoom and try to get in lanes that allow me to use the full speed of the vehicle.  The big issue I have is with SOME types of trees, the branches hang so low that no matter what position you view from, you cannot see past those branches, thus you have no way to know what's on the other side of them.  So you line up to avoid the trunks, blast through the low-hanging branch and end up stuck in the next set of trees you had no way to see.

But now that I know about the .psave thing I'll gather the info next time I run into that situation.
It wasnt personal towards you, was just saying. We know WHAT we CAN and CANT drive through, why try to drive so close that the low branches grab you? All of the trees that have these limbs are different from the ones that dont. I dont GV much but I have no problem differentiating the trees. I know, because it doesnt happen to me, doesnt mean its not an issue. Just putting my experience out there :old:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 10:15:42 AM »
...why try to drive so close that the low branches grab you?

Because there is not enough room between the edges of the offending branch and the trunk of another tree.  So I either hit the trunk and stop or get far enough away from the trunk to avoid it and end up having the little branches stop me with a force that would deploy airbags (if GVs had them).  I know how to drive and how to avoid trees; I'm saying that there are SOME places where best efforts don't work and I have to back up and go around that spot.  I am guessing that's either due to the tree density or the settings because the exact same driving technique works everywhere else. 

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
 :aok Thus the .psave. Guess I have just been lucky so far. Have yet to find those little "EASTER EGGS". Thats why I GV from the air :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »
Here is some data from yesterday, 7/30.  Two of us were driving tanks base-to-base.  There was a stretch of the small trees with hanging fruit, and I aimed between what appeared to be two stands of trees.  There was enough room between the trunks for a tank to easily pass through yet just the branch edges stopped me cold.

-240765,2239,401805,2.5,0.2,-170.8
smpizza
FOV = 84.0

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 07:21:55 AM »
With the added tree density, and low hanging branches, GV'ing is way more frustrating than in AH2.  My guess is it's a feature, not a bug, but a huge dissatisfier for me. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »
More trees means easier to hide from planes but also slows you down so it goes both way, but i agree, the branches could be a little less aggressive.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 06:47:14 PM »
Trees much better since the last patch.   :aok
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »
Trees much better since the last patch.   :aok
Agreed, much better. :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
Yes much better.

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
They sure are... they act like real trees now.  Thank you for fixing this, HTC.

Offline iikie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 01:33:11 PM »
Thank You for fixing this :-)
Slaxer