Author Topic: What's going on with this?  (Read 7993 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: What's going on with this?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
Thanks again Bizman. 

I found the the battery, of course, buried behind the graphics card.  That'll get taken care of shortly.  After the bios battery is replaced and confirmed to not be the problem, I'll  start working on a new cooling unit.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
BIOS battery changed out.  No change in the situation when the computer is powered up. 

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
Well, worth trying anyway. I just replaced the PSU of an old computer that had no life whatsoever. It appeared that there was no life after the change, either. There was a green led on the motherboard, though, so I took the chance. And whaddayaknow, changing the battery was all that would have been needed. They don't last forever, changing them every five years is no expense.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
The BIOS  battery is the original.  Impressed that it's lasted this long.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
Bizman, many BIOS programs can fire the fans to full speed if they are not getting the feedback from the fans, which can happen if the power supply is failing.

Is there a builtin video in the CPU?  Most modern Intel CPU's have this.  If there is, then remove the video card and plug your monitor into the motherboard HDMI/DVI connector and try booting.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
Skuzzy, my rig is 2009 vintage.  I could find no where else to plug the video cable into other than the 1070 card.  Is there a way to test the PSU without electrocuting myself?  Remember, you're talking to a computer Neanderthal here.   :D

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2017, 02:06:22 AM »
Thanks for the info, Skuzzy. Am I right to suggest that the fan action is about the full speed fan test not ending because of the lack of the feedback signal?

Puma, there's basically no cost effective way to test the power supply. There's cheap "testers" available but all they do is to measure the starting time and the voltages of various plugs at the same time. Real testing requires oscilloscopes and artificial loads and other techie gear. At some point someone claimed that the price for a thorough tester would be some $ 50 000...

If you have a multimeter, set it to measure 20V DC and check the voltages of as many different cables as you can find while the computer is running. Black is always ground, yellow 12V and red 5V. The other colours vary from 3.3 to 12 volts. If the multimeter prongs are thin enough, you can even measure from the rear side of a plugged connector. Note that if you unplug the PSU from the motherboard it won't run at all unless you connect the green wire to a black one with a paper clip or a piece of wire.

As for safety, don't open the PSU itself as the lethal voltages are inside it.

A PSU from 2009 may not be up to the task anymore. Back then the 12 V line could have been split to several rails so a modern video card may not get as much amperage as needed which may cause the PSU to exhaust to death.

If there's a local builder shop near you, ask if you could lend/hire a spare PSU for testing purposes. Again, most anything with the right plugs will do for a short time boot test. If your system boots normally with another PSU, you'll know what to buy next.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 09:37:11 AM »
Thanks Bizman!  It does some how make sense to me that the PSU is the contributing culprit with the problem.  I'll move forward with it and let you guys know the result.   :aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
850 watt power supply not only fixed my problem but my graphics card is running crisper and faster.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »
I got a call from the computer shop today.  They've done a full diagnostic.  All the hardware tested normal except, the motherboard has failed. It's a proprietary board designed by Dell.  The guys at the shop searched for a replacement but, none are to be found.  According to the technician, there's no way to replace it with a modern board. 

So, the search is on for a new rig.  Thanks for all your help gents!  :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 05:50:59 AM »
You can try to find a replacement board matching the rest of your hardware. Mainly it's about the type of your memory and the processor, plus of course it's got to have the pci-e 16x slot for your video card. There might be some in Ebay and the likes.

If you take that route, start by searching for "motherboard socket ###" and the rest should follow. There's some models, though, that are really hard to find.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 06:17:04 AM »
Dell used to use a proprietary mounting pattern for the motherboards which did not allow for standard motherboards to be mounted in the case.

Dell also used to do things like reverse the positive and negative 5V lines so you could not use a standard power supply either.

I say "used to" as it has been a while since I tore a Dell apart.  It is just something to be cautious about.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 07:33:11 AM »
Good point, Skuzzy.

I'd also like to add that a different motherboard usually requires reinstalling Windows, although there's tricks to get the original installation working at least well enough to save your stuff.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
I appreciate the input and feedback gents.  The computer shop tech did say the present mobo mount is not compatible with newer mobos.  So, in light of the expense and time required to maybe get my legacy rig up and running again, it's time to upgrade.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
You already have the most expensive component, the GTX 1070, so upgrading the rest is a very good option. Let's get planning!  :cheers:

Kotisivuni