Author Topic: M3 Effectiveness.....  (Read 32019 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Re: M3 Effectiveness.....
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2017, 03:06:24 AM »
While in an M3, players aren't actively engaged in ANY form of combat(no sense arguing that it is, just ignorant if you think an M3 resembles any sort of combat in Aces High)

It's slightly asymmetric, but if that's no combat then there's not much combat in many of today's wars either.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 08:16:52 AM »
While I agree that the M3 resupply sucks, I don't think removing it will get those players into the air to defend. Bases will become easier to take and those defends will move to what ever field they think is next in line e for a capture to roll out vehicle supplies and setup the defense in wirbles.

If a player doesn't want to fight in a fighter,  there really isn't any way to get him into one. What is needed is more numbers. 10 percent of 100 players makes it hard to find a fight. 10 percent of 500 makes the odds a bit better.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
With the same lack of an decent argument for those who want to keep it the way it is...

Again can someone please tell me how nerfing M3 town resupply will effect the game in a negative way other then people have to up a combat aircraft or vehicle to hold a base?

The way it is now just kills fights...simple and that's it. For the land grabbers that might be ok but for anyone looking for a REAL fight....it's terrible.

I don't like how it works, but as Fugi said, many if not most of those people will not immediately leap into fighters and come to fight.  For whatever reason, there is a contingent of people who are here to play Euro Truck Simulator 1945.

As far as a counter-argument, if you reduce the M3's effectiveness, I would say there's a decent to high possibility that it would just mean more people and more time spent in M3s because it will take more runs to do the same job.

And if you remove it entirely, I'd expect more field gun and Wirb use.

There are players who are not here to fight in aircraft.  I do not understand why, but they are here, and there are a lot of them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
While I agree that the M3 resupply sucks, I don't think removing it will get those players into the air to defend. Bases will become easier to take and those defends will move to what ever field they think is next in line e for a capture to roll out vehicle supplies and setup the defense in wirbles.

If a player doesn't want to fight in a fighter,  there really isn't any way to get him into one. What is needed is more numbers. 10 percent of 100 players makes it hard to find a fight. 10 percent of 500 makes the odds a bit better.

I don't like how it works, but as Fugi said, many if not most of those people will not immediately leap into fighters and come to fight.  For whatever reason, there is a contingent of people who are here to play Euro Truck Simulator 1945.

As far as a counter-argument, if you reduce the M3's effectiveness, I would say there's a decent to high possibility that it would just mean more people and more time spent in M3s because it will take more runs to do the same job.

And if you remove it entirely, I'd expect more field gun and Wirb use.

There are players who are not here to fight in aircraft.  I do not understand why, but they are here, and there are a lot of them.

Wiley.

The solution is simple. You slap a big 6K icon back on all the GV's and perk the Wirbs. Let the tank busters have a field day. Then the fighters will show up to kill the tank busters
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:24:16 AM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
So... essentially you're saying put GVs entirely at a disadvantage to aircraft.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
Wirbs are fine, tanks are fine.. the manned gun however also needs some adjustment to how it operates pertaining to kills and deaths in the game.  The towable guns brought up in a wishlist thread may be the answer to the first mentioned.

If you want my opinion of 17 years of playing this, adjustments to manned gun gameplay and m3 effectiveness are really two things hampering the big battles for bases we had in the past.

These two factors absolutely ruin gameplay at low population hours, while still noticable during primetime.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
The solution is simple. You slap a big 6K icon back on all the GV's and perk the Wirbs. Let the tank busters have a field day. Then the fighters will show up to kill the tank busters

I thought about the icons too.. but I dont think increasing them is the answer.

I think simply put.. the supplies ability needs to be nerfed.  I assume convoys will be back with us soon.. let the computer do the brunt of that work.

Like Wiley said.. it would put the rest of the gv defenders at a huge disadvantage.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »

Wiley.

Damn right.  :aok

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
Damn right.  :aok

LOL while I feel the "Get in a plane" sentiment as much as the next guy, it just doesn't work that way.  People give up instead of countering.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »

Wiley.
There is a reason Panzer divisions liked bad weather and it's not because they had an advantage.

My opinion is that it's easier to GV than it is to fly. Spawns are so close to targets that the primary advantage of aircraft (speed) is negated. People will always take the path of least resistance and, as long as there is less effort to be made for GVs, there will be a segment of the population that will take that option.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
-1 for removing re-supply completely

+10 For making supply convoys matter again! (trains & vehicle convoys)

...and make the train and boat supply convoy 100% repair the field too so that an attacking force has to take them out before they reach their destination.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 12:26:00 PM »
...and make the train and boat supply convoy 100% repair the field too so that an attacking force has to take them out before they reach their destination.

Just make the m3's only able to repair say 50% of the town guns, and only 50% of the town... Road convoy and/or train re-supplies the rest... Then there's a hard "window" where the attackers have the opportunity to capture. Attackers would then need to kill the M3 supply (to a lesser extent) , and/or ensure the timed convoy doesn't reach town before friendly troops...

Defenders would be forced to defend the convoy/train town or have it vulnerable. At least this way, quick trips with M3's can "defend" a town by keeping it half up with some guns up, but still easily defeated given a proper attack.

I dunno. my shower thought..... :D

I agree that the user created convoys of M3's are somewhat bland... yeah I can use my 50cal to shoot at bad guys, but meh... Not exciting for this guy.
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 01:11:09 PM »
I thought about the icons too.. but I dont think increasing them is the answer.

I think simply put.. the supplies ability needs to be nerfed.  I assume convoys will be back with us soon.. let the computer do the brunt of that work.

Like Wiley said.. it would put the rest of the gv defenders at a huge disadvantage.

Except resupply is only one facet of the M3 problem. The extreme use of the M3 is a symptom of the overall overuse of GV's in general. By making GV's easier to spot, hunt, and kill from the air, the M3/resupply effectiveness will be reduced while simultaneously promoting more air combat overall.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Except resupply is only one facet of the M3 problem. The extreme use of the M3 is a symptom of the overall overuse of GV's in general. By making GV's easier to spot, hunt, and kill from the air, the M3/resupply effectiveness will be reduced while simultaneously promoting more air combat overall.

That's not a foregone conclusion.  It will most assuredly promote less GV usage.  More air combat does not necessarily follow from that.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2017, 01:20:04 PM »
Not that my opinion matters, but I'd like to see airfield supplies removed from M3s and added to player operated and AI trucks instead. If these trucks were forced to always use roads, it would be far easier to interdict the supplies just as they were historically. With this in mind, a couple of tanks or steady air cover could likely shut down any supply runs instead of players sneaking insta-rebuild supplies to the town from all different directions.

Imagine if the Germans had air supremacy, it would have changed (and likely eliminated) the Redball Express. With this in mind, the supply/logistic players would have an even bigger role but it would take more organization to make it a viable alternative. This increased organization would equate to a layered offense or defense, encouraging more combat (on the ground and in the air) over something as simple as logistics.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!