Author Topic: M3 Effectiveness.....  (Read 32185 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: M3 Effectiveness.....
« Reply #225 on: October 02, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
Busting a vulch cap is all about numbers. When the jokers show up 15 strong it is impossible to for 5 people to up and get to town. However most base takes usually have 2-3 people capping. If you have 3-4 uppers it wont be long before someone gets airborne and drags the cap away from the field, allowing for more uppers or manages to get to town. The common mistake is thar most of the uppers stay in field guns, thus allowing the 1 person who does up to get constantly vulched.

Fyi B17s and b25s (when ords down) are my favorite since they give me 3 chances to get airborne :)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #226 on: October 02, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »

I could not help noting the irony here.

- oldman
Agreed. I think we all just need to move on.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #227 on: October 02, 2017, 11:27:15 AM »
Aug, 25th JunkyII opened a thread complaining about M3 resupply, complaining  that people running m3's to resupply a base that was just taken or resupplying to keep from losing a base is keeping people from flying a plane, which is purley B.S..i don't know about bish and rook but on knight, most of the people resuppling a base/town are gv'rs they don't fly anyway. taking away M3 resupply isn't going to make them fly a plane.
whats next taking away resupplying all together-goon sdk251-lvt.. half the time what beats an overwhelming force is M3 resupply. and it should not be changed.
whats next after m3 resupply is gone, are you going to want to get rid of the tanks? then the fleets then the towns where will the horde stop.
yes I said horde, that's what you all are, a bullying horde trying to make people play your way, lets see here isn't they a rule here against bullying, oh well couldn't find one

i'll bet there are 80 to 90% of the people posting here don't even GV of any kind. and I bet 50 to 70% here have run troops in a m3 or even ran supplies, in a m3.

I have been playing this game for 10 years, until Aug, 25th 2017 i don't think i have heard anybody complaining about M3 resupply.

I ask HiTech to leave M3 resupply as is, lower supply time if you must.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While in an M3, players aren't actively engaged in ANY form of combat(no sense arguing that it is, just ignorant if you think an M3 resembles any sort of combat in Aces High) i guess people in WWII driving supplies , like people driving for the red ball express, i guess thse people were no contributing to the war effort.

what business is it of yours. you don't gv or run or fly supplies.
i say leave it as is.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:12:31 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: October 02, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
With the time it takes to get them to altitude.. voulnerability.. and high visibility to defending aircraft.. i have to disagree with you there.  The average player in this game probably isnt going to white flag it in one pass either.

You are showing your lack of AH knowledge.  I can not remember running into you on a base defense albeit I am sure I have just rare.

Now Lunatic, Woody, and the like will hand you your nuts back in a paper bag defending their base. 

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #229 on: October 02, 2017, 01:53:38 PM »
look guys I'm not trying to be mean or nasty.

I just hate change, and taking away M3 resupp shouldn't be one of them.. nobody for the past 9 years until this has an uproar about the M3 been so loud.. face it killing the use of the M3 is not going to put more fighter pilots in the air I guaranty it

somewhere back on one of these pages somebody said to attack M3's at the spawn or on the way in to town, and I have noticed some people have been doing that. and it's said that being in a M3 running supps isn't combat, well if a plane is shooting at my jeep or M3 and I'm shooting at him with my .50cal to me that seems like combat. the pilot kills my M3 he gets a few small perks-and if I manage to shoot down the plane I will get perks, so why isn't that combat?

we used to wish foe planes, trains, tanks, ships, now its I want this done to this object or that done to that object. I said it in my last post, all the people who want to end the M3  resupp are us to play this game their way.
I don't want anybody to play this game my way, I want to play it as it already is. and if you say you can't find a fight then you damn sure ain't ain't looking. you need to leave your base and go find it.
Xbrit is a Rook-flies spits, he always flies 1 or 2 sectors to find a fight if nothing is happening at any of his bases, be like him.

I tell you something else if you come in at 15-20k I'm not gonna up so you can vulch or pick me. if you come in at a t decent alt say less than 10 i'll up, if you pick or vulch me then I won't reup.

you people would find more fights if you didn't come in just to pick and vulch. to me that just means you scared of dieing a cartoon death
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: October 02, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »
You are showing your lack of AH knowledge.  I can not remember running into you on a base defense albeit I am sure I have just rare.

Now Lunatic, Woody, and the like will hand you your nuts back in a paper bag defending their base.
That's hilarious! I think you should duel Lazer 10 times so you can show him how it's done! You should fly your P-38 because it's common knowledge he really sucks in it!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Lunatic,
I don't run many supplies, you're right there....but you are completely wrong if you believe I don't do anything with base captures...probably my most flown plane in my entire Aces High career is the FW190F8...and I use it strictly for porking fields.

When I'm on these pork runs, that's when I notice the actual effectiveness of field supply. I'll pork a field of troops and when I'm reupping my next sortie to hit the base that it can resupply...the troops are already back up....tell me, short of flying 2 hours to level the troops training base how am I supposed to beat that without having overwhelming numbers or a very coordinated attack which is hard with random players....

Fact is you can't, and you bring ZERO argument to the discussion by trying to discredit my knowledge of how the game works....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #232 on: October 02, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »

I had some questions for you in this thread or another.. you choosing not to answer them?

I dont ever see you in the game.. but i defend plenty of bases.  That i guess would be your lack of knowledge.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #233 on: October 02, 2017, 04:01:54 PM »
I'm getting lost in the weeds trying to understand the re-supply mechanism that the player provides.

When a player drops a field supply at the town or the field, can you give me a list of what that is able to help rebuild? Can you itemize by location to help me understand.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 02, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
Anecdotal Evidence, 15 minutes ago.

I tried to support a rather low-key base capture attempt. I dropped down to deack the town and saw m3s running and started to record.

Forces shown in film viewer:

Rook (attacker)
1 M4, 1 Panzer
1 Typhoon, 1 Ki-84
1 Lancaster

Knight (defender)
1 Tiger II
1 Hurricane II, 1 La-7
4 M-3

The white flag was undone in a couple of moments. The Rooks did actually pork the barracks on the Knight airfield spawning to the contested base, with a downtime of 66 minutes.
15 minutes later they were up again.

I have no idea if this is representative, so I'm still making no stance on the topic of resupplies.
However, in this specific situation the only way to capture the base would be to bring a massive numerical superiority, so much that the defenders could then actually claim they could never do anything else than run supplies.

Note: This is not about Rooks or Knights or any particular side.  You guys know me, I'm not long term affiliated with any side.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
But I also have seen opposite effects, where the defender screwed up majorly, because five(!) guys were running supplies to a whiteflagged town, with not one upping  a plane to hurry to the maproom (base wasn't capped).
Result: Base was gone before the town was resupplied.

Of course, this is anecdotal too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
I usually remember running into Lazerr AFTER I suddenly appear in the tower or I've gone from FL10 flying normally like anyone will to into a flaming spiral, missing wings, an engine or two, tail blown off, and screaming like a little kid in this flaming mess, only to exit to my chute and realize that I've been lazy with my situation awareness. Again. For the fifth time this week. On a Sunday.  Even after staying in a Holiday Inn Express. :furious
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
However, in this specific situation the only way to capture the base would be to bring a massive numerical superiority, so much that the defenders could then actually claim they could never do anything else than run supplies.

A massive numerical superiority is needed either way, offense and defense. In both cases m3s can slip through with troops or supplies respectively. Having 5 defenders circle the town on m3-watch for troops is either pretty tedious, or impossible with flying attackers distracting them from the task. Same on the offense, having a hand full of attackers circling to watch for m3s resupplying doesn't work either. Only a massive numerical advantage can effectively prevent a random m3 (or any other GV) from slipping through.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #239 on: October 02, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
I've been part of Lusche's descriptions with those results, and I've been part of running M3 I thought to get the auto ack up in town to foil the troop release. I thought some amount of the rebuild of a town depended on the automated function while M3 were only able to get up the AI guns and a percentage of the town. This is where I'm getting confused. Can a town be brought up all with supply deliveries?

Later at night I find players are more willing to move to the next base and spawn back with an M3 and supplies instead of upping something to look at the town, or fight. Earlier in the evening most of them will up something from the field and swamp the town looking for an easy kill while no one brings supplies from the next base to get the AI ack up. I've had bases taken out from under me because everyone wanted to find easy kills and the M3 was already in place. So this becomes a time of evening and or numbers thing how players will respond with an M3 or fight that I've experienced.

It's obvious the M3 getting supplies into a town during a heavy fight will bring up the guns which will catch attackers and eliminate some of the pressure of their attack. So using an M3 as a counter measure to attackers is a learned tactic and valued for it's effectiveness, since getting an M3 to the town is very often successful.  And is very effective against a smaller attack group.

If the drop range for supplies to the town is still 1000yds from the map room, M3 don't even have to be on the ring road that goes around the town. In the terrain editor I've set the ring tool to a radius of 1000yds(.57mile) in this screen shot. The same radius effects drops for airfield\port\vBase.

Why not ask Hitech to test reducing the supply drop radius to half it's current distance like in the screen shot below? Notice how much smaller of an area in the town and on that medium airfield the drop radius is? This would make resupply from a GV or c47 more hazardous while forcing troop delivery to be more exacting in the drop, and eliminating driving a c47 up to the town on the ground. In general it would remove landing a c47 to make the troop release to ports and vBases. I think eliminating supply drops from GV will end up punishing players for using the available tools to win and be perceived as Hitech personally doing that to them. Reducing the drop area will inconvenience those players while having a historic game precedence they will adapt and be very good at working with the new drop area. There will be grousing and vitrol but, not the perception of being punished by Hitech for people pushing an agenda in the forums.

Many of the solutions being presented to solve this situation would end up being perceived as punishment for doing nothing wrong. Junky and Lazerr are selling this as those players are doing something bad to the community and they want them punished by Hitech for playing inside of the rules and limitations of the game. The polarization of player opinions in all of the related arguments is telling to how this is making some players feel they are being publicly demonized for playing the game by the rules. It does not matter if Junky and Lazerr did this with all the good intentions in the universe for the sake of the game. It's come off sounding as they want Hitech to punish players for following the rules along with changing the game just because of those players for personal reasons.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.