Author Topic: Vega/Threadripper  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Vega/Threadripper
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 01:51:06 PM »
Same deal Krusty.  Arbitrary dropping support for newer CPU's (Intel or AMD) to force people to upgrade to Windows 10.

I am just not going to upgrade my CPU.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
Wait, something's not right.  This is a quote from Vinkman's post in the Ryzen CPU thread.  He went with a Ryzen 1800X and is using Win 7 64-bit.  Since this post he's also added a GTX 1080Ti, I believe (insert drooling emoji here)

So I got my rig working on Saturday and used it for two days.

Old system
 Core Duo Quad Q6600
 Dell BTX Motherboard
 8M RAM DDR3
 Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX [upgraded to a Radeon 5970 Graphics card with 2G vRAM]
 Window 7 'Home' 64 Bit

My New system has:
 Ryzen 7 1800x,
 ASUS AM4 socket motherboard
 32G of DDR4 2400 RAM
 Radeon 5970 Graphics card with 2G vRAM carry over from my old system]
 Windows 7 'Pro' 64 bit

The improvement in game play and graphics is significant over my old system, even though the video card is the same card in both builds

AH3 on my old rig to achieve frame rates in the 40s...
Disable reflections, bump mapping, shadows, clutter, clutter in flight
Video resolution at 2048
2x anti aliasing
Object detail slider 50%
Ground detail Range 25%
Tree detail slider 10%
Terrain detail Slider 50%
Environment map = None

AH3 on my New rig to achieve frame rates of 60 FR/s...
Disable shadows
Video resolution at 4096
12x anti aliasing
Object detail slider Max%
Ground detail Range Max%
Tree detail slider 20%
Terrain detail Slider Max%
Environment map = None

Game looks beautiful with no issues. I still can't run shadows with the terrain detail and ground range at Max...because that's an awful lot of shadows to calculate. And I can't increase the side per frame on the Environment Map with the other settings at Max.

The only issues appeared when the furball moved over a airbase town and the number of air-cons within 8K got near 30. Frame rate dropped into the 30s but there was stuttering and choppiness that seemed worse than the indicated number. Like when the frame freezes because something is caching. Video Ram was showing 1000M used out of 2000M available. This might be corrected by backing off the sliders a bit. I will look more into what ends up being and optimum slider setting.

I have not plaid with any chip settings/overclocking etc. This is out of the box settings.

My shooting and flying have not improved.   ;)

Vinkman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »
If it works with Windows 7, then it is going against what AMD has stated.  Then again, they have waffled a bit on that statement, first saying they would provide drivers for the new CPU's and Windows 7, then saying they would not.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
Thanks Skuzzy.   It sounds like officially it is unsupported, but that doesn't mean it won't work if you try it.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
Wait, something's not right.  This is a quote from Vinkman's post in the Ryzen CPU thread.  He went with a Ryzen 1800X and is using Win 7 64-bit.  Since this post he's also added a GTX 1080Ti, I believe (insert drooling emoji here)

From what I have seen, AMD had developed a driver that would allow Win 7 to install on a Ryzen CPU but left this in the mobo manuf's hands to provide it so that AMD itself can officially comply w\ MS concerning Ryzen. I know that Gigabyte has a hotfix available on their web site to rectify the USB issue that is supposed to allow Win 7 to install on a Gigabyte mobo equipped w\ an AMD Ryzen CPU.

So you might check into this if desired.

Now MS Windows Update isn't "supposed" to allow any Windows updates to be downloaded & installed to an AMD Ryzen CPU unless it sees Win 10 installed & will constantly notify you on this if it doesn't (Vinkman has already posted about this as he has installed\currently using Win 7 on his AMD Ryzen 7 1800X box w\ an Asus Prime B350 AM4 mobo)......but I haven't read anything that said that you couldn't download the desired Windows update to your HDD\SSD then MANUALLY install it............

You might check into this as well.

FYI.........................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 03:05:53 AM »
Ryzen worked fine on Win7 until M$ added the update block with the June or July 2017 update.
But there are still workarounds to disable the block.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Assuming you wanted to keep Win7 x64, it sounds like you could run a Ryzen (with some hassle), but what about DX levels for graphics? Say you stick a GTI 1080 in there, are you essentially cutting off a lot of the software not being installed backwards onto Win7?

Example: Does Oculus Rift not require Win10 these days?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
Rift requires DX11, or higher.  DX11 came with Windows 7.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese