Author Topic: Not exactly training.. But maybe?  (Read 5045 times)

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
Not exactly training.. But maybe?
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »
I've played this game on and off for about 8 years now, as I am by no means a pilot or have any kind of pilots experience (as also AH is the only flight sim I've played) The curve can be a bit taunting for me. I am a very competitive gamer, so it really becomes frustrating getting caught in situations and having no idea how to counter, or survive... Since a young age I have been fascinated with the German aspect of WW2 (strictly military, and non political obviously) so the 109's have always been my exclusive planes. Every once in a while I'll get bored and up a 152 or LA-7 for base defense, but almost 97% you'll catch me in a 109. With that being said, I still don't quite understand most ACM or tactics. I must say, my aim is above average, though that doesn't help much when you miss the few snapshot opportunities I get - if any. I would simply like to possibly observe, learn, and progress from a good 109 pilot, as there aren't many left (that I'm aware of) that have the patience, or time for a young learner. I don't necessarily mean 24/7 babysitting, but more of some 1v1's / winging as there aren't many that heed the DA call anymore, and all my old squadies have since left/been banned.. (lol) I understand that most 109's are best with speed, but i usually get caught turning, and trying to pull too much lead, as when I try to BnZ them, simply overshooting me get's old. Sorry for the novel, but if you read this and have the time, I would much appreciate some help. I really feel I could climb the ranks with a little direction, as a young whipper-snapper. Thanks!  :rock
"See, decide, attack, reverse." - Erich Hartmann

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Not exactly training.. But maybe?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »
I think you just need to appreciate how speed and available g determine your max turn, how gravity and drag from lift affect speed, and when to use lead and lag pursuit.

You don't need a 109 pilot for that. What's specific to the 109 is how it compares to the opposing aircraft.

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »
@FLS
(not sure if that's how to correctly reply to someone)

That's a huge problem I have, differnciating between lead, and lag pursuit.
Also, as I said I am by no means a pilot, though I grasp the physics of what you said I can't really translate that to in-game knowledge...
And thanks for the reply! :)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »
You can use the quote button or type FLS or just post after mine. Usually you don't need to specify unless others have responded first or the topic has diverged.

So when's a good time for you to train for an hour?

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
You can use the quote button or type FLS or just post after mine. Usually you don't need to specify unless others have responded first or the topic has diverged.

is today okay? I will be off work in about 20, as it is 4:10 pm CST here. So.. 5:30 CST perhaps?

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
Also, to anyone else who may read this, I am not exactly looking for a squad but a wing-man who prefers the 109 would be awesome!

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »

Will this be a good time?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
Today I'm pretty busy. I work nights so next weekend is probably best. Another trainer may be able to make it sooner. If next weekend is good for you post a day and time after 11 AM CST.

Here's a little reading that may help.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/80-tactics/fighter/1073-lead-lag-and-pure-pursuit

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/89-tactics/advanced-flight-concepts/1076-turning
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:36:19 PM by FLS »

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:31:20 AM »
a tip that might be useful for flying the K4 is don't be afraid   to throttle back when you are going for a shot. the K4 compresses like crazy and it makes shooting hard. and make sure you keep the fight in the vertical that's where it really shines. it has an absurd climb rate and acceleration.

the next link comes from the wiki which I love to read and recommend to all players.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Bf_109K-4

I hope you found this useful  :cheers:

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:52:23 AM »
Oh yes, i'm familiar with that beautiful engine! It's gotten me out of a pickle more than once. I have read up on the K-4 and the G-14. I'm just a lot better learning by example. (in-game). I guess I understand the mechanics of the planes, my problem is  i have trouble  applying them in-game. I struggle the hardest defensively, i always catch myself trying to knife fight, and flat turn. there are just basics that i'm missing and have been taught in the past by great pilots, but now i'm really ready to hunker down and learn. Basic things like a high/low yo yo, and when and how to properly revers, wingover into a snapshot.. Just need some good ole duels. I learn 75% better when i die instead of in the training arena where i keep flying. I still love the TA and spend time hanging out. Can catch me in there a lot :)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »
Blinky, when you catch me online in game, holler at me if ya wanna go to the DA or wing some sorties together with you in whatever 109 model you want to fly

I saw you asked over ch 200 the other night if anyone wanted to DA... had I known it was for the reasons of this post, i would have gladly helped you out

that was my first time seeing you on that shared vox channel and I figured you was playing winging with some of the others...

If you find it hard to get with one of the Trainers, let me know and i will schedule some times to meet up with you

(EDIT: I know  Morfiend is in the TA normally around 9 PM EDT to 11 pm most week nights, and FLS depending on his work schedule is usually a little later, unless his shift has changed... SIK1 is in there at times also.......I think a few of the Trainers are dealing with some real Life stuff currently, so I just figured i'd offer ya a hand, since I haven't seen any others posting...helping them out as well <S> )

hope This helps

<S>

TC
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:02:36 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
Blinky, when you catch me online in game, holler at me if ya wanna go to the DA or wing some sorties together with you in whatever 109 model you want to fly

I saw you asked over ch 200 the other night if anyone wanted to DA... had I known it was for the reasons of this post, i would have gladly helped you out

that was my first time seeing you on that shared vox channel and I figured you was playing winging with some of the others...

If you find it hard to get with one of the Trainers, let me know and i will schedule some times to meet up with you

hope This helps

<S>

TC

Sure thing! Thanks man. I'll try to see if I can catch you sometime.
<S>

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »
I think you just need to appreciate how speed and available g determine your max turn, how gravity and drag from lift affect speed, and when to use lead and lag pursuit.

I do not completely agree with this remark. Indeed those are fundamentals but there are possibilities / peculiarities especially concerning the 30-mm K-4 / G-14 that were the domain of about two-dozen master sticks. As you've observed they are almost extinct. I do not think Joach1m does any training. If you're lucky you might catch DrSpek on a free day. As far as I can determine all the K$-Muppets have now retired. I think Vinkman and perhaps a few others were becoming K-4-adepts but I do not know if they continued from the end of AH2.

Concentrating on intermediate BFM / ACM would be all round beneficial and a good place to start. Further a search of YouTube might gather some matrix-code secrets. Sobering thought actually, that all the K-4 masters have gone. The knowledge might have passed with them.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
I do not completely agree with this remark. Indeed those are fundamentals but there are possibilities / peculiarities especially concerning the 30-mm K-4 / G-14 that were the domain of about two-dozen master sticks. As you've observed they are almost extinct. I do not think Joach1m does any training. If you're lucky you might catch DrSpek on a free day. As far as I can determine all the K$-Muppets have now retired. I think Vinkman and perhaps a few others were becoming K-4-adepts but I do not know if they continued from the end of AH2.

Concentrating on intermediate BFM / ACM would be all round beneficial and a good place to start. Further a search of YouTube might gather some matrix-code secrets. Sobering thought actually, that all the K-4 masters have gone. The knowledge might have passed with them.

I'm afraid you hit the nail with the head on that one... I have previously flown with Anarchy, who really got me into the K4, and a few more awesome K4 pilots i can't quite remember. I believe Violator was one, and Poison was great in one also. They showed me a little bit, though that was so many years ago I've basically lost what I had learned. I don't see the k4 or G14 much anymore, but being my favorite two planes I would love to bring some of that knowledge back to be able to pass on.
Thanks for the reply :)
<S>

Offline Blinky

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Another thing, what I'm looking for the most is... An evaluation if you will. I feel I can fare up pretty well in most 1v1 scenarios (though those don't come around often) most people wing up or run sadly. Not everyone though. I can still get a few great fights but it's really hard for me to learn in the MA because there's too many distractions. I want to get an even 1v1 just to kind of see where I am.. What I need to work on and what I am okay in. I can't really say i can do this or cant do that, because I don't really know what I do. Lol. I just do what feels right, and when its wrong, I die and re-up. In the DA i can get input on why I died, and how to prevent it. That's what I really would like. And again, the TA Is awesome but again when you take the factor of dying out, it really doesn't allow me to capitalize on my mistake.