Author Topic: Some definitions  (Read 1607 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Some definitions
« on: September 09, 2017, 06:07:42 AM »
I can only find civil airline definitions on t'internet so just to get the terminology right for my own personal ACM notes: is-

Lateral Separation simply the distance between two aircraft viewed from a theoretical upper orthogonal projection (no perspective). In other words - the linear shortest distance between two aircraft if there positions where dropped vertically downwards onto a map and then measured (ignoring height)?

Hence is Vertical Separation a measure of the difference in relative height between two aircraft (ignoring horizontal distance)?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: Some definitions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
? what did he say?
 :confused:  :headscratch:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
Lateral separation is how far apart you are. Vertical separation is the difference in altitude. Usually you'll have both.

Feel free to use that without attribution.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:09:28 AM »
Lateral separation is how far apart you are. Vertical separation is the difference in altitude. Usually you'll have both.

So lateral separation does take a difference in altitude into account? The term just means a measurement of a line drawn directly between two planes? If so are there terms which separate the axes in a two-dimensional fashion?

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 11:46:31 AM »
In a 3D environment separation has a vertical and lateral component. The vertical separation is also an energy difference.

For practical purposes you just use distance for separation with high, low, or level (co-alt,) to indicate energy differences.  An example in games with distance icons is "bandit 4k high 7 o'clock". 

Lateral separation by itself is not a useful concept. It's natural to use distance instead. Consider if you have 1000 ft lateral separation and 10,000 ft vertical separation. The lateral separation is not a factor.

With a co-alt merge lateral separation is tactically meaningful because it's turning room and it offsets the turn circles.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »

a direct line between a and b in space.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
I've always  viewed the term: lateral separation as being a combination of both vertical and horizontal when discussing gaining/obtaining separation before the merge....or positioning to merge / obtaining desired angles

Easier said : you want to gain lateral separation (combination of both vertical and horizontal distance) right before you start your initial merge, to obtain/gain an angles advantage at the 3-9 line....

Basically how nearly every Trainer I've seen explain/teach your basic merge technique....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Horizontal is a good term for defining the components of separation since it's relation is specific to the vertical.  :aok 

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »
So lateral separation does take a difference in altitude into account? The term just means a measurement of a line drawn directly between two planes? If so are there terms which separate the axes in a two-dimensional fashion?

Side note: you don't want to and should not be thinking in 2 dimension, when discussing BFM and ACM

You should always be thinking in 3 dimensions

Hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
TC while I agree that air combat is 3D a primary concept in ACM is the 2D turn circle.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
i think this maybe the technical definition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiVav5nBmOE
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
I only reference Dave Mathews for waste disposal do's and dont's.  :bolt:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 01:11:37 PM »
I only reference Dave Mathews for waste disposal do's and dont's.  :bolt:

To be fair the waste disposal tank had a leak,it just happen to leak into a river! :devil

I do like his music tho!

:salute

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »
Ah thus, horizontal separation was the term I was after. Lateral spacing seems a bit misleading on reflection. Thanks all.

Side note: you don't want to and should not be thinking in 2 dimension, when discussing BFM and ACM

You should always be thinking in 3 dimensions

I agree TC and do that naturally although thinking might be a bit too high-brain for my normal trance-like flying state. Lately I'm forced to fly for a short while, stop, get rusty, fly for a short while, stop, get rusty. I also have some learning disabilities so I've found it helps me as an aide-memoire to make my own ACM notes. This was needed for a specific stratergy for a certain plane matchup I've been competing with a lot recently. The '2D components' of the 3D ACM was a good visual cue for myself.

Thank you for all the help (and music  :))

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
Simply muscle memory when you get use to it.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2