Author Topic: ISO used graphics card  (Read 1566 times)

Offline heinrich

• Zinc Member
ISO used graphics card
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:04:05 AM »
Looking to get back into the game. Have not played games or aces high in years. Looking to get a used GPU, I have like 60 bucks I can spend. Been looking all over local sell sites with no luck. So I figured I would ask on here. Thanks for reading!
Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.

— Baron Manfred von Richthofen.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: ISO used graphics card
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
I dont think your going to find a card for $60 that will run AH. Unless some good samaritan is looking to donate something to help you out.

Best bet is to take some time to save more money. A few bucks here and there and before you know it you have enough for a decent card.

Good Luck.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »
For that price it would be something like a Radeon HD6970 or Nvidia GTX 660. However, Ebay is a crazy place so with a little luck you might find something better for that price.

This gives some hints about what to look for: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html. For playability look for cards scoring 3500 or more. Only pay attention to cards under the name Radeon or GeForce GTX, the rest are for CAD instead of gaming. Another tip is to look at the "tens" of the GPU model. That tells the relative efficiency within a generation which is told in the preceding numbers i.e. hundreds and thousands.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »
I might have a GTX660 laying around as well. Going through a bunch of older motherboards, video cards, etc... will PM you when I get a chance to get to that box later today.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
I've contacted Heinrich through PM, and asked to see his DXDIAG report, to see what he was working with before offering a playable GPU for AH3

He is using a HP/Compaq PC with an AMD Athlon II x2 245 2.9 GHz running Windows 10 using 4 GB system ram and an AMD/ATI HD5700 series 1 GB dedicated video ram....

I'm researching his PC build to see what type of system ram it uses and have recommended that he bump it to 8 GB of system ram and have offered him an EVGA Nvidia Geforce 960  GTX

Figuring that I would throw the 8 GB of system ram in with the 960 GTX

Edit: in checking specs, his MB says it makes out with (2) 2 GB DIMMs...checking to see if any bios updates might have changed anything.....also checking on size of the PSU as well as the case size and what are the maximum limit of possible videocard length/width measurements

What do y'all think?   Comments and suggestions welcomed

TC
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:17:07 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »
A HP/Compaq? That may pose a problem. HP uses a whitelist in many of their computers, allowing upgrading only to certain brands and models. Since the original is an AMD HD5700 series card, the GTX960 may be both of wrong brand and too new to work. The last one I encountered was trying to upgrade a GTX670 to 970, no boot. A 770 would have worked.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »
Yep Bizman, I edited my above post

Already running into some things....gonna do some more research to see exactly how much improving is possible

It's a 505b micro tower.... 550 watt PSU in it... Case size is gonna be a possible problem

Any help with helping Heinrich is appreciated

TC
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:38:24 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline heinrich

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
I have had new cards in the system, the cpu's accepted are anything from a athlon x2 to the phenoms, only problem is I do not know if I can stick 8gb in this system. I believe if my memory serves me right have had 8gb in it. But hit hard times about a year ago and had to sell off everything in my system because it was all not stock. I have a phenom II x4 965, 8gb ram, a gtx 970 and a 600 watt psu. If memory serves right it was 8gb but may have been 4gb. I do know it is DDR3 1333mhz rated ram.
Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart.

Offline heinrich

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
and Bizman, the HD 5770 did not come with the system. When I bought this pc, it was off of craigslist for like 20 bucks. It was meant to be a tinker pc. But then I ended up not being able to build a proper pc. So I have trying to upgrade this one as much as I can.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
Hoping for the best result I just tell what I've seen and read about. Some HP motherboards only accept certain video cards. They're upgradeable to a certain level but not past that, something like up to the next generation model but not past that. Power supplies aren't affected since they don't communicate with the BIOS.

For what I found, both the computer and the HD5770 are from 2009 which may be the reason they are compatible. Or the motherboard may accept every card. I couldn't find any information about video card upgrades of any kind, so the only way to see if it works is to test. If it doesn't boot, it's a whitelist issue which can only be fixed by cracking the BIOS code.

Also, it looks like only 2x2 GB of RAM is supported.

In case your system can't be upgraded Reschke is selling a very good looking kit in another thread: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,389245.msg5171573.html#msg5171573

Kotisivuni

Offline heinrich

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of taking him up on that offer, but then I would have no money for gpu. That is a great deal for a 2600k

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:49 PM »
If you think you could afford the 2600k kit now and a better video card in a month or two, I'd recommend to take it.

Kotisivuni

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
Already got a deal going on the 2600K setup with another guy....I do have a GTX660 that I am going to put into my system and make sure it runs though. It was the video card on the 2600k setup for a long time. I dropped it into my wifes i7-920 that has since bit the dust due to a power supply failure so it maybe DOA....gotta check though.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline jskibo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »
I've got some DDR3 laying around and I know I have a working R9 270 if any of that helps you're welcome to it
Jacque in AH3
Jacque in WB
Jacque in WWIIOL