Author Topic: How are the numbers now?  (Read 20527 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: How are the numbers now?
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »
The AvA (formerly CA) still exists, I believe. Great 2 sided, historical terrain, matched planesets. Arena holds as many players as the MA, if I'm not mistaken. The majority of the player population still logs onto MA. Tis a mystery.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »
Hmm you believe I don't have data, I have tried 2 countries previously. Limited plane set, yep tried that also.

When did you try it?  What were the numbers like then?  Have things changed since then?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Maybe the axis allied arenas lack of success is because it isnt a three country setup. 

:D

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
Maybe the axis allied arenas lack of success is because it isnt a three country setup. 

:bolt:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
When did you try it?  What were the numbers like then?  Have things changed since then?

Go invest a few million, build your own game, run your own test and you too can have the answers.

HiTech
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:25:27 PM by hitech »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »
The AvA (formerly CA) still exists, I believe. Great 2 sided, historical terrain, matched planesets. Arena holds as many players as the MA, if I'm not mistaken. The majority of the player population still logs onto MA. Tis a mystery.
I know!  One would expect that those bored of the ole-3 sided war/base capture strategy wouldn't like to take a historical approach to combat against a real foe. Instead - everyone runs to hop into their Spit-XIV, La-7, P-51/47M, or Yak-3 so they can fight against similarly late-model aircraft.

In the AvA, you hop into a Spit-V, fly across the channel and drop in on a Luftwaffe airfield to engage a BF-109F, or a formation of Ju-88 or He-111 bombers bombing London or a British port. Conversely, fly a La-5 against a Bf-109G2 over Russia, or hop in a FM-2 and mess around with a Zeke or Zero over the Philippine islands. Or from a carrier in a F4F to intercept Zero's from their carrier over the Midway islands!!! That, to me, is exciting and has a huge cool factor.

But what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:36:46 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2017, 01:37:46 PM »
My terrain BowlMA has a tests built into it because I wanted to see what is attractive and creates activity.

Groups or hoards form to attack the least defendable bases all night. Those three on the tip of each island, are closer than 25 miles from each other along with many other airfeilds. No GV spawns for M3s to interrupt the fun to those three, and no shore batteries to stop the carrier hoard at two of them. Just attrition in favor of the attacking hoard unless the defenders really fight tooth and nail to the bitter end. I see it go 50\50, the hoards win or the defenders bloody their noses. The furball guys hate it because it's "The Hoard" and the GV guys have to get in planes or wirbles to fight and get bombed. But, a lot of guys show up to that spot and fight. Unfortunately, those fights don't really drag out all night and go nowhere like on our AH2 converted terrains, so new fights get picked all the time around the terrain. Not setting every single airfield 25 miles away helps.

The next test has to do with vBases and GV spawns. You can see the terrain is not saturated with vBases and no airfeild\port\vBase have more than two GV spawns. The defenders can manage the incoming GVs if their fighters don't mindlessly furball, so far I have yet to not see that happen. :rofl If the attacking planes get the upper hand, the GVs end up on the airfield, game over. The capture invigorates the attackers and they up and attack the next airfield generating activity. I gave the Gvers the center island and three spawns to the strats on each island if all they want is to tank furball and not be part of the general activity. The center island seems to be a cricket farm while the GVers all want to follow the hoard around the map to be in the activity locus.

I don't see any of this audience except for the game creator and maybe a few terrain builders who remain silent, testing the community to see how they really utilize the sandbox. Being on the stinky end of the stick in our game really sucks and even makes people log off. Being on the clean end sticking it to the other guys is what most customers are paying for. And it's intoxicating to the point of running out of control. We insult that condition by calling it a hoard. It cannot be controlled without Hitech killing his game by driving customers away with forced and coercive external forces. And a small vocal group of players keep saying the game will die unless Hitech does exactly this to his customer base thinking it will force them to play in the Melee arena the way they want to play.

I've taken my lessons from BowlMA and incorporated them into Oceania which I'm in the last phases of tweaking. I've added some new things along with a better understanding of how our terrains are utilized today. The vast majority of our converted AH2 to AH3 terrains want to slow down the hoard and give Gvers their own special places. That had to be done years ago because Hoards blew through the arena like unstoppable floods almost every night. Still there was no end to fodder for the furballers "because of only the numbers".

Today, the terrain builder has to bring players together and accept that will create hoards because everyone wants to be on the end of the stinky stick that makes the other guys cry. You disperse players by not building terrains to match how the current population utilizes the arena. Right now short distances to a fight keeps the players in motion which generates activity and opportunities as a group to break things and win fights.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
I know!  One would expect that those bored of the ole-3 sided war/base capture strategy wouldn't like to take a historical approach to combat against a real foe. Instead - everyone runs to hop into their Spit-XIV, La-7, P-51/47M, or Yak-3 so they can fight against similarly late-model aircraft.

In the AvA, you hop into a Spit-V, fly across the channel and drop in on a Luftwaffe airfield to engage a BF-109F, or a formation of Ju-88 or He-111 bombers bombing London or a British port. Conversely, fly a La-5 against a Bf-109G2 over Russia, or hop in a FM-2 and mess around with a Zeke or Zero over the Philippine islands. Or from a carrier in a F4F to intercept Zero's from their carrier over the Midway islands!!! That, to me, is exciting and has a huge cool factor.

But what do I know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On occasion .... there's Corsairs! Back in my CA CM days we even tried an alternate reality late war Pac setup with the Japanese getting to fly the Kikka (262) and the Shusui (Komet) and all their late war rides (and earlier stuff, as well, I believe). "Second Wind." This was pre B-29 so I came up with a backstory that involved both the B-29 project not overcoming its initial teething problems and the Manhattan Project suffering a catastrophic event that killed everyone working on it.

Sure ... there were some complaints about going out of historical boundaries. I fully admitted that this was the only way to get late war Corsairs in the CA. There were just as many players enjoying the setup as there were BBS spoilers.

So, yes, there IS an arena that implements all the 'new ideas' being shoveled here right now. There's even some leeway to 'try new things' there. I really don't understand the 'fixers' demanding the MA clone of it.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »
The best alternate thing tried in the MA was Claw day.......
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
Go invest a few million, build your own game, run your own test and you too can have the answers.

HiTech

Well, in order to have a few million I'll need to start with double that much.

It's not about me.  It's about you.   Fresh eye concept.   You might consider going back and re-testing your hypotheses on these things.  Times have changed.   

Good luck regardless.   We all want the best for AH3.    :salute

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:06:57 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »
Back in my CA CM days we even tried an alternate reality late war Pac setup with the Japanese getting to fly the Kikka (262) and the Shusui (Komet) and all their late war rides (and earlier stuff, as well, I believe). "Second Wind." This was pre B-29 so I came up with a backstory that involved both the B-29 project not overcoming its initial teething problems and the Manhattan Project suffering a catastrophic event that killed everyone working on it.

God, that set-up sucked.

:P
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
I think Vraciu is addicted to poking Hitech in the eye in public any way he can get away with it including burning the house down to kill rats while he burns up with them. Otherwise his last zinger is straight out of the 3rd graders handbook to impress 4th graders when you don't have any way to save face but accuse the 4th grader of being some kind of a flute player. Only the stupidest 4th graders would fall for it and not see how lame the face saving attempt is.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »
We all want the best for AH3.    :salute

Once more Inaccurate Hyperbole.

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
Once more Inaccurate Hyperbole.

HiTech

Once more a pleonasm.

(Oh, and hyperbole requires INTENT.)

Like I said, we all want the best for AH3.   Well, except for Dolby perhaps.   :rofl  :salute
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:57:51 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Lyme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
I for one think Vraciu is genuine in his requests and suggestions.  Whatever, Hitech doesn't wan't to do it, his million dollar investment and virtual living room, so be it.