Author Topic: Design discussion for October Scenario (Target Rabaul)  (Read 23386 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Design discussion for October Scenario (Target Rabaul)
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
I like the 2:1 idea with Zeros  :D

I'm sure you do. Put that to a vote. ;)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
As Brooke mentioned, this plane set and the rationale behind it was not kept secret before the vote. Never-the-less, if we were to neuter the IJ set from the standing design what's your next suggestion to re-attain balance without a replacement of one of the U.S. FGs with F4Fs (again, a contradictory move in the face of demanding plane set purity)? Is it a ration adjustment of more overall players on the IJ side? Right now Brooke has 34 IJ fighters to 30 Allied. He's dealing with reduced scenario participation already. But maybe an adjustment will draw more interest. 40 IJ fighters? 30 A6M5s and 10 Ki-61s? That's 1.3 to 1 (or so). 50 IJ fighters 36 A6M5s and 14 Ki-61s? That's a little over 1.6 to 1. With the IJ fighters needing to shoot down bombers then the ava fighter match-up is kinda shifted, as well.

Or would you still want to replace one (or more) allied fighter groups with ahistorical F4Fs alongside that, as well?

Having F4F's would still be more accurate than designing the event to have Ki-84's and N1K2's. What Brooke should have done is written a Philippine event around the plane set he wanted and it would have been fine.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2017, 11:10:36 PM »
Hello, guys.  We can work on adjustments to the given plane set, but drastic changes are not in the cards because that's not what the players picked.

Let's stay on track.  :aok

One of the main things:  is this setup and scoring system reasonably balanced?  I think so, but I might not see some angles on how it will play out.  More eyes on it is good.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 11:26:23 PM by Brooke »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2017, 12:33:52 AM »
One of the main things:  is this setup and scoring system reasonably balanced?  I think so, but I might not see some angles on how it will play out.  More eyes on it is good.

The big problem I see along these lines is the B-25's having more than 2 lives. Shades of "Hell Over the Hinterland."
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2017, 12:36:39 AM »
Hello, guys.  We can work on adjustments to the given plane set, but drastic changes are not in the cards because that's not what the players picked.

Let's stay on track.  :aok

To be fair, you did not give an opportunity to discuss the merits of your bastardized version of Rabaul before putting it up to vote.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2017, 01:07:26 AM »
To be fair, you did not give an opportunity to discuss

That,s what the voting topic was for.  It was available for over a month. Folks in there talked about which choice they wanted and why, and they can talk about why they don,t want this or that other choice.

Once folks pick what they want, it,s time to move ahead with it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:14:54 AM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2017, 01:30:44 AM »
The big problem I see along these lines is the B-25's having more than 2 lives. Shades of "Hell Over the Hinterland."

b25 singles on the deck are not like b26 formations at 15k.  They are more like the a20s in tunisia and il2s in dnieper, only here their targets are not as spread out.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2017, 01:34:23 AM »
A20s in tunisia got slaughtered always. The il2s in dnieper did ok, got hammered sometimes, and sometimes made it to and back from target.

Having it like dnieper il2s is the goal and not like the a20s in tunisia.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2017, 09:03:11 PM »
I want the niki squad and I have it filled  :rock  :joystick: :airplane:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »
I want the niki squad and I have it filled  :rock  :joystick: :airplane:

You are a great man, a gentleman, and an aviator!  :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2017, 01:55:24 AM »
Just save me the 80th Headhunters is all I ask :)

And P-38Gs, at least one for me :aok
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2017, 04:07:37 AM »
Why don't you try to do what Nef brought up next time...draw your hardcore dedicated fans in and not worry as much about the later war a/c you think will draw people. I would rather fly this event with all Zeros against the mixed bag the allies had even if that meant flying allied against it vs what you have now.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Any chance of setting an altitude cap or at least a small downdraft above 25k? I feel that the Axis planes will just get outperformed by the masses of 30k allied fighters. Not that the planeset cant fly at that altitude, but I feel like it may have an impact on the frequency and excitement of the operations.

This is just my opinion. I remember flying in Philippine Phandango where the Axis had a rough time against 30k P38s and I think that it may have tilted the scale in favor of the allies.
Strokes

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Any chance of setting an altitude cap or at least a small downdraft above 25k? I feel that the Axis planes will just get outperformed by the masses of 30k allied fighters. Not that the planeset cant fly at that altitude, but I feel like it may have an impact on the frequency and excitement of the operations.

This is just my opinion. I remember flying in Philippine Phandango where the Axis had a rough time against 30k P38s and I think that it may have tilted the scale in favor of the allies.

Bomber max alt is 18k according to the scenario write-up.

The entire Axis Fighter set in this event can hit 30k as fast or faster than any of the Allied set (and 22 to 24k a lot faster). The P38 damn near compresses at level flight at 30k.

And .... what about the historical argument? Yes, later Japanese aircraft were added for balance. However ... 'High cover' is a huge historical element of damn near every Pac historical book out there.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
b25 singles on the deck are not like b26 formations at 15k.  They are more like the a20s in tunisia and il2s in dnieper, only here their targets are not as spread out.

Seems you fail to remember the problem. Fighters get killed off piecemeal and the bombers run unopposed on their 3rd lives until the clock runs out.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com