Author Topic: Clean your computer!  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Lyme

• Zinc Member
Clean your computer!
« on: September 16, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
Just a reminder that if it's been a while, clean your PC!  I just cracked open my 9 month old gaming pc and I was shocked to see how much dust and debris has built open.  I'll never go this long between cleanings again.

Question about cleaning...If I used compressed air I need to tape all the fans so they don't rotate, correct?

I'm also thinking of ditching my two forward intake fans.  The dust sceeens were absolutely filthy and I'm wondering if they introduce more problems then they solve.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Clean your computer!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
Yes always tie the fans down. Free-wheeling with compressed air can hurt the bearings. Also if you use an air compressor instead of those "canned air" cans, be sure to use filters. Moisture can be expelled in the air stream and that NEVER mixes well with electronics.

The fan design in most cases are setup for a reason. Turning off fans may not be a good idea. Making the screens easier to access so they can be cleaned more often might be a better answer.

Offline Lyme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
Yes always tie the fans down. Free-wheeling with compressed air can hurt the bearings. Also if you use an air compressor instead of those "canned air" cans, be sure to use filters. Moisture can be expelled in the air stream and that NEVER mixes well with electronics.

The fan design in most cases are setup for a reason. Turning off fans may not be a good idea. Making the screens easier to access so they can be cleaned more often might be a better answer.

Fugitive, these were not stock fans, I added them aftermarket.

Should I just use compressed air?  Should I wipe down the inside with any solution?  Obviously i'm talking frame only.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Personally I use a small flux brush to brush everything down, then I use a can of air to blow out the stuff I loosened up. Short bursts work well. Dont hold the can on its side or upside down as the "liquid" it is stored in the can as can come out. It is super cold and could damage parts.

Done often enough it isn't hard and doesn't take a lot of time.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Aside of hurting the bearings there's another issue in letting fans rotate by an external airflow: They turn into wind turbines, pushing electricity the wrong way. That's way more dangerous to your electrical components than some moisture. Heck, what is the first thing to do if you drop your cell phone into the sea? Flush it with tap water! Moisture isn't dangerous if it A) doesn't contain corrosive or conductive elements such as salt or other minerals and B) if you dry it soon enough. Water is somewhat of a solvent, too, if let to sit for weeks.

Skuzzy, I've been thinking about the air compressor can from Amazon which was talked about some years ago. Did you ever get one and if you did, was it worth anything?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »
Swiffer mop heads are great for getting into areas inside the case you cannot reach. I've been using them for a long time and I was always a little concerned about static, but that has not been a problem. Usually, I use it in high dust areas and across fan blades on a 30-day schedule, but I avoid areas like the motherboard or any circuit area. The backside of monitors also attract dust for some reason, and these things will get rid of that problem very quickly.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »
Ya know that's all your dead skin right.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »
Ya know that's all your dead skin right.

Yes. I save it in a mason jar.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:00:04 AM »
I cleaned my pc and found 4 perk points
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:05:38 AM »
I use this air blower to clean my computers and the ones at the office.  Works great.  Cannot say enough good things about it.

Used to use my leaf blower.

Yes, tape down the fans.  For the stubborn dust (if you smoke around your computer you will have this problem) you can use a solder brush to shake it loose.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »
How much?!

The GFC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »
Roughly £100. I think I saw at least one British vendor while looking for an European voltage version and an European seller.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
I will tell my butler :old:

The GFC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 03:20:10 PM »
I use this air blower to clean my computers and the ones at the office.  Works great.  Cannot say enough good things about it.

Used to use my leaf blower.

Yes, tape down the fans.  For the stubborn dust (if you smoke around your computer you will have this problem) you can use a solder brush to shake it loose.

I use a small shop vac. The smallest HomeDepot sells (stinger). I just set the hose in the exhaust end and I can direct the air wherever I want from pretty much any angle I want.
I've also use the micro nozzel reducers to suck stuff out that wont blow out.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
I honestly stopped using air compressors and the like to clear out PCs ages ago. It takes all that stuff and redistributes it all over the rest of your room... where... yep. It'll just get sucked back in and deposited again eventually. A dust buster with a narrow-tip attachment had served me well for a number of years until the battery stopped holding a charge. I would suggest something like that. To stop the blades from spinning I would just pin them with the eraser end of a pencil and keep moving on.

Also, don't forget to check behind fans that mount on top of heatsinks. If there's stuff beneath the fan it's beneficial to remove the screws and suck the stuff out directly rather than hoping you get it all through the fan blades.