Author Topic: needed changes for BowlMA map/terrain, in my opinion of course.  (Read 512 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
needed changes for BowlMA map/terrain, in my opinion of course.
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
1st and foremost need to change map to not show SB's.
2nd add shore batteries to all the shoreline airfields, esp the ones without a spawn.
3rd if you going to leave SB's visible then you need to harden them to 2 to 3 times tougher then they are now.
4th if you are going to leave SB's visible and not change the hardness, then you need to either move SB's further back from the beach, or raise the height of the base or both. it is nothing for a Battleship to sit 9 or 10k of the base and kill everything on the base with a 3 gun blast from 1 turret. it only takes 1 hit from a turret for each hanger to take it out, that's just too easy for a Battle Ship to just sit offshore and flatten the base that is way to close to the water. I know I know you'll say bomb the Battle Ship, not and easy task, The Battle Ship hap a minimum of 80 auto guns that can easily reach 10k and are very accurate, with a BS/CV group 10-12k off the base there air cover only has a short flight.
5th-and won't be popular,but take Battle Ships off this map, the passage ways are not much bigger here than on the Buzzsaw map.
6th dump the Battle Ships and add a extra Cruiser to CV fleet.
7th the the 3 base TT island is a joke, should have been made bigger with more bases. in the 2 days and 30 mins the Bowlma map has been up I bet V102 has been lost and retaken lost and retaken at least 20 times, it reminds me of the mountain type V-bases on the CraterMA map. that changes hand at least 10 to 15 times in the time the map is up. all  3 bases on that island get lost and retaken over and over, waist of time.

I think that's all for now.

now Bustr please don't Hijack my post/thread with stating what your doing on your new map, or whatever. I know this is your map design, the game play- Flying and Gving is good, its just way to easy to flatten a shoreline base with Battle Ships.

and there will be people posting here who want to keep the Battle Ships the way they are because they like taking the easy way out or what ever is easiest and flame me for it. So let it start
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: needed changes for BowlMA map/terrain, in my opinion of course.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
I setup shore batteries that way specifically to make countries run their task groups into other countries home waters. It works flawlessly because those home water fields have no shore batteries. Just like the three airfields on the tip of each island have no GV spawns to them, they attract combat to capture them because of the perception no M3's will interfere. I did not expect this terrain to last more than a few days because I chose not to protect everyone's assets so they can stall it out for a week into a boring place to play. If your countrymen won't do something about the enemy task groups, then you loose your feilds and the guys in the other country are winning and feeling good about playing this game.

It is the problem with trade offs when you design a terrain, what are you trying to do with it. You cannot protect your assets on this terrain, you have to fight and break things or loose.   

If you are such a strategic map builder, build a map and show me how to do it the right way. This one does exactly what I set it up to do by my choice of not adding those features you have deemed a negative impact to your personal fun.

I have asked you before to show me your superior product so I can learn from it. For the community it will be one more terrain in rotation to have fun on.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:12:39 PM »
I don't know how to make a map nor do I wish to--my main gripe is the battle ships being able to flatten a base even while being attacked to me the water ways are too narrow putting the battle ships to close to airfields. the SB's need to be hardened for the bases that have them, it's just to easy to destroy them

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:22:55 PM by lunatic1 »
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
Our game went through an evolution where terrains were easy to win if you had numbers. Winning breeds confidence and makes people happy. Then they want to stay, pay their subscription, and win some more. Our numbers reached the point that hoards couldn't be stopped because everyone was too busy in their respective country racing the other hoards to the win feeling good all the way. So Hitech evolved objects in the game that made it harder to win feilds. By that time we had hoard generals who were throwing up missions with tactics to counter each new obstacle Hitech and the terrain builders were putting in their way.

Then 2008 and we have all those legacies of stopping 60 plane missions that the 60 guys took on as a challenge, now just boring to death arenas with only 60-120 guys to populate all three sides. No more missions and alot of bored people waiting for someone else to make some thing happen. But, we have really well protected feilds that made everyone start asking Hitech to un-protect them so they could have fights again.

We are back full circle to the game before the mega hoards ruled and all the terrains had to be built to slow them down. I bet you have never looked at why people really choose one field over another to attack. It's simple, it looks like the easiest to win against if they take the risk. Winning is a funny thing, it breeds confidence and the thirst to win again. Frankly who cares if the target could be captured by one guy de-acking with a full M3 then dropping troops. It's a win, and pumps up his countrymen to keep going and attack more things. If they attack something, then they create activity, and combat, and it sucks in defenders to take part. Or loose by their choice of not showing up.

Terrains are about creating places to attack that have to be defended or you loose your field. Our legacy terrains from AH2 promote safe spaces that are hard to attack and stall out forever making the attackers leave feeling like loosers. Make people feel that way for too long, they stop paying their subscription and find a game that makes them feel like winners.

I made the same number of fields in each country easy to capture so people have the chance to feel like winners which is self perpetuating and they go on a role because they are winning. Players fight each other instead of wander off to some remote field to hide in tin cans on the ground.  If you design a terrain from the perspective as a "player" you will build very boring safe spaces that make paying customers feel like loosers. If you make trade offs to purposely help players win and start fights, they will feel like winners, countries will fight each other, and they will want to come back to get that winning feeling.

The problem with that kind of winning, someone will always be a looser because it was just not their country's night. But, more players will be winners and feel good about this game.

Before you build a terrain, you have to come to terms with yourself and stop thinking like a player. You have think, how can I make the most players feel like attacking things to create activity and combat. So you make some percentage of the feilds obviously easy to capture if a full on defense is not mounted.

That's why I keep telling you, build your own terrain if you don't like that rational. By how BowlMA gets used, most players like it and feel like they are accomplishing things in a short period of time making them feel like winners.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 02:46:19 AM »
never freaking mind.