Author Topic: Film making knowledge sought  (Read 1037 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Film making knowledge sought
« on: September 21, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help me. I'd like to make a movie to promote the MPA / this idea I had detailed below:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,389421.0.html

Especially I'd like to know how to generate those camera tracking shots that Dolby used to do, ones that move around two planes simultaneously. Can anyone explain how to do that with the new film viewer or is there a relevant video tutorial?

Secondly I gathered there was a trick playing it at half speed to allow maximum graphics settings on a medium graphics card. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance  :salute

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Re: Film making knowledge sought
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:24:35 AM »
Also interested in some tips and tricks, had a lot of trouble when trying to use the film viewer. Maybe my PC is too weak for this.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
You can use the "Set up camera shots" in the film viewer to setup any given camera shot.  At the same time, I would capture the play back with a video capture program to get the audio.

With any decent video editing package you can then bring it all together.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BTPage

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
I have not been editing for a very long time. But the best advice I can give you is get a decent capture card and do your homework on how to best set up what you can afford. There tons of video on YouTube on how too. There some free software that you can start editing with like windows video editor.

Picture on picture or side by side screen u need a good editor to handle that with lots of hard drive space. Good luck to you I be happy to watch you create. (S)

ULTactus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 09:21:22 AM »
You can use the "Set up camera shots" in the film viewer to setup any given camera shot.  At the same time, I would capture the play back with a video capture program to get the audio.

With any decent video editing package you can then bring it all together.

I'm still having trouble using At Shot to set up the World Pointing type shots.

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »
Secondly I gathered there was a trick playing it at half speed to allow maximum graphics settings on a medium graphics card. Can anyone shed any light on this?

When I first tried this I had no success. Maybe my PC is too weak for the speed I tried then, but today tried it again in min speed and got something. Set the Nvidia control panel slider from performance to quality, then put all game graphics sliders to max (resolution 1920x1080), but left out anti alias, because it made icons very blurry. Played the video at speed slider set to 0,04x speed and captured fullscreen footage (moved the mouse cursor out of the way) onto capture card (EZCAP 283s from Banggood with USB micro SD card adapter). Capture card converted the video into 1920x1080 30 FPS MP4 video. Video picture in Film Viewer with sliders at max looked beautiful, but the capture card lost a lot of that image quality so this proved to be the weak link here. Another negative thing here is that it is not exactly "hit play and go do something else" type of thing because recorded views (had those enabled) sometimes do not jump to correct position so I had to be on guard to hit one random view key (view left for example) to make the view jump into correct position. External views may also act weird, but this needs more testing.

I accelerated the captured file in Shotcut editing software 25x and exported it in pretty much stock Shotcut settings, only modified FPS. I do not know the FPS of Film Viewer, but 0,04x speed video captured at 30 FPS comes out theoretically as 750 FPS video. Maybe it is not that simple. Made a test clip and exported this as 30, 60 and 144 FPS 1920x1080 video. Uploaded 60 and 144 FPS video to YouTube, 144 FPS got processed to 60 FPS by YouTube. Can`t tell much difference between the two.

Decelerating and accelerating sound does not work as you can hear, but original 1x speed footage can be captured and audio extracted in Shotcut and other editing software as well I assume.

60 FPS example:

144 FPS processed to 60 FPS by YouTube:

I wanted to get rid of those forward-back vibrating aircraft as seen in the following topic:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,393618.0.html
At first look it seems like mission accomplished.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:21:21 PM by asterix »
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W