Author Topic: Aurora 17  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Aurora 17
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
The biggest exercise in 25 years is underway in Sweden, ~20.000 troops and a ton ov GV:s, ships and aircrafts. Even American armor is involved, even if their Desert camo causes some issues:

Leopards:

2nd Amphibious battalion  on the move:

Archers:

Recovery of an Abrams:

A Leopard that REALLY need to be recovered:
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Aurora 17
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:41:10 AM »
The beard...

Apache:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:45:59 AM by Zimme83 »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »
lol the dude BEHIND the dude in the beard is NOT having a great day lol...

I wonder how much it would have cost to just repaint our stuff... not even quality paint, just throw SOMETHING on there!

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »
Neat stuff!  :aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 03:56:42 PM »
Beard guy looks like a true viking  :D
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
Yeah, beards are real cool right up until you have to don a respirator to keep from breathing in nerve agent.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
Yeah, beards are real cool right up until you have to don a respirator to keep from breathing in nerve agent.

Yeah that was my first thought too.  Why is it that the US's equipment is not painted for the theater?  Budget constraints?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 08:09:54 PM »
LOL, I bet it took them a good day work to recover that Abrams.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 08:59:34 PM »
Regarding the desert paint schemes, I read on another defense site that it was likely due to the equipment being on a RO/RO pre positioned ship beforehand, one that was tasked at covering CENTCOM's AO, which is typically desert areas.  Could me many other reasons, but that was the one I read that seemed the most logical.

Good for Sweden - taking things more seriously lately regarding defense, the Canadians I've spoken with that have some experience working with the Swedish military always have positive things to say about their professionalism and capabilities.  What with their "friends" to the East having sent subs right into their waters and aircraft into the ADZs, Sweden is obviously stepping up their game.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »
It takes 5 mins to shave off a beard if you ends up in a conflict where you expect to use your gas mask. On the other hand a beard is really useful in for e A-stan where a beard is a status symbol, thus most Sw soldiers in A-stan had one.

Seems like they got them stuck on purpose in order to practice recovery of them.. The support units have been put to test in the exercise, engineers have practicing on building bridges, clearing mines (https://twitter.com/johansutinen/status/911739895034544128 ) etc.

The foreign units are mostly used as the 'enemy', Finnish Hornets are up against the Gripens, AH-64 have been sluggin it out with the LvKv 90:s (AAV 90), The USS Oscar Austin is covering the enemy landing while the Visby corvettes and the subs are hunting her and so on..
It gives our guys a chance to test their capabilities against the best possible opponents. It will still be 10 years before they are fully back in business but things are going the right way.

On a side note Sweden ix expected to decide to replace the HAWK SAM:s with more modern long range SAMS within the next months, the race is between Patriot or French Aster SAMP/T and unsurprisingly both systems are a part of the exercise..

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 03:24:52 PM »
Yeah but that camouflage job really offsets the desert colors.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 06:00:26 PM »
The leopard stuck in dirt looks awesome, nice paint ;
the cabal is pushing for depopulation, less humanoids are easier to control.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »
Regarding the tank camo, it's likely a mix between budget and the most-likely deployments. Big Army is only just getting back into the traditional force-on-force mindset. Some units are still ready to deploy to the current hotspots, like Syria and Iraq. While they are still the stand-in defense force, Russia is far less likely to invade the EU than the US is to fight in the desert again.

That's my theory at least.

Units in Korea still have green vehicles, as far as I know, and I don't believe units there deploy to anywhere else.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
What the heck happened to this one?  Did it go subterranean?